Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I'm back! Waiting for instruction

I'm back! Waiting for instruction
orsadude2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 07:20 PM

Alright folks,

I'm sitting at my desk with the 17 right next to me. Just added the extra 512MB. Too chicksh*t to turn the machine on now, lest it blows up. What next? Someone walk me through setting it up. I tried earlier at lunch and did a crash and burn...
orsadude2

butter71
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2003, 07:47 PM

do you have specific questions?

if you don't turn it on, we can't help you.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2003, 07:48 PM

Well I assume you installed the RAM properly per the instructions in your manual. Please turn on the PowerBook at your own risk.

You will be walked through the basics of setting up your computer. The Internet setup portion will require you to know some basics about your network connection. Most likely if you have a Cable modem, can tell the setup app to use DHCP to obtain your address and other network info - which in a nutshell means it does it automatically.

The rest of the setup is pretty simple, it will walk you through. It's a Mac you know! If you sign up for a .Mac account, you can access the gree tutorials on OS X there.

This site has some good tips, maybe not novice stuff but bookmark it anyway: http://www.osxfaq.com/

I've been using Macs since 1987 so I'm not familiar with any newbie sites or books. I'm sure other folks here can help.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

orsadude2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Well I assume you installed the RAM properly per the instructions in your manual. Please turn on the PowerBook at your own risk.

You will be walked through the basics of setting up your computer. The Internet setup portion will require you to know some basics about your network connection. Most likely if you have a Cable modem, can tell the setup app to use DHCP to obtain your address and other network info - which in a nutshell means it does it automatically.

The rest of the setup is pretty simple, it will walk you through. It's a Mac you know! If you sign up for a .Mac account, you can access the gree tutorials on OS X there.

This site has some good tips, maybe not novice stuff but bookmark it anyway: http://www.osxfaq.com/

I've been using Macs since 1987 so I'm not familiar with any newbie sites or books. I'm sure other folks here can help.
OK, I'm reading up on the Airport extreme base station. I don't know much about networks. My concern is that I am using a DLink router. It has 4 ports, one of which is connected to my PC. It provides super firewall protection. I'm wondering if I can just plug my airport into one of the 4 ports and keep going. I think this router does some type of DHCP thing...I'll keep you all posted
orsadude2

orsadude2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by butter71:
do you have specific questions?

if you don't turn it on, we can't help you.

How should I go about testing my internet connection? I don't have a phone line...I'm strictly cellular. Should I just attempt to connect the PB into the Cable Modem, and temporarily quit using the router or do I plug it into one of the routers ports. How will the router recognize? I also remember something about you had to have router running before you reset the cable modem.
orsadude2

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2003, 08:17 PM

I am running the ever-popular BEFSR41 Linksys router with 4-port hub. I just have my airport base station connected to one of the ports on the hub...

Works fine.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by orsadude2:
OK, I'm reading up on the Airport extreme base station. I don't know much about networks. My concern is that I am using a DLink router. It has 4 ports, one of which is connected to my PC. It provides super firewall protection. I'm wondering if I can just plug my airport into one of the 4 ports and keep going. I think this router does some type of DHCP thing...I'll keep you all posted
OK- I had a DLink and had to hook up my iBook and Airport about a year ago. It was tricky, but not impossible. It was more of a learning curve for me than anything else since my DLink was not Mac-friendly. Perhaps yours is. If you have problems, let me know and I'll see if I can dig up my notes. I wrote it all down. I was very confused for a while, but I figured out with a little patience. I ended up getting a new router cuz the one I had didn't support my new printer.

Hey! Anyone wanna buy a DLink router?

orsadude2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
OK- I had a DLink and had to hook up my iBook and Airport about a year ago. It was tricky, but not impossible. It was more of a learning curve for me than anything else since my DLink was not Mac-friendly. Perhaps yours is. If you have problems, let me know and I'll see if I can dig up my notes. I wrote it all down. I was very confused for a while, but I figured out with a little patience. I ended up getting a new router cuz the one I had didn't support my new printer.

Hey! Anyone wanna buy a DLink router?
So far so good I hooked up the airport base station and ran the installation software. I couldn't tell if it worked or not. I let the PB restart. Then I just clicked on the IE symbol and I was online. No wires, no cables no nothing. ME LIKEY

Now I'm attempting to connect the HP Printer to the Base station and set that all up. Then I'll go to another room and see if I can print. I don't want to mess with the D-Link. I'm just hoping it's doing it's job.

Once I get this done, I want to figure out how I can see my PC on my MAC and vice versa. There has to be some kind of network configuration thing I can do...I'll keep ya'll posted
orsadude2

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2003, 10:13 PM

Connecting to your Windows machines is tricky. Assuming everybody is on the same network, go into Finder and select "Connect to server..." from the "Go" menu. Chances are you will see your Workgroup right there and the rest is self-explanatory.

What is up with these Switchers going for the top of the line PowerBooks right off the bat? Seriously tho, what pushed you over the edge? The hardware or the software? How long have you been considering a switch?

orsadude2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Connecting to your Windows machines is tricky. Assuming everybody is on the same network, go into Finder and select "Connect to server..." from the "Go" menu. Chances are you will see your Workgroup right there and the rest is self-explanatory.

What is up with these Switchers going for the top of the line PowerBooks right off the bat? Seriously tho, what pushed you over the edge? The hardware or the software? How long have you been considering a switch?
One of the guys in a local corvette club swears by the MAC. I didn't get serious until Feb 03. I just liked the commercial with mini me. After I started checking out all of the propaganda and following the websites I became more and more intriqued. I've always heard MAC's are easier to use and do a better job at photo, video and audio tasks. I also heard it could darn near replace your desk top PC. So I said what the hell. If you're gonna go....GO BIG! We'll see how it turns out.

I did have a problem installing my Office MAC. I never got to the screen where you put in your CD Key so I'd imagine I may have to do a reinstall when the 30 day's runs out. Not sure why it didn't take.
orsadude2

andybrawer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by orsadude2:
One of the guys in a local corvette club swears by the MAC. I didn't get serious until Feb 03. I just liked the commercial with mini me. After I started checking out all of the propaganda and following the websites I became more and more intriqued. I've always heard MAC's are easier to use and do a better job at photo, video and audio tasks. I also heard it could darn near replace your desk top PC. So I said what the hell. If you're gonna go....GO BIG! We'll see how it turns out.

I did have a problem installing my Office MAC. I never got to the screen where you put in your CD Key so I'd imagine I may have to do a reinstall when the 30 day's runs out. Not sure why it didn't take.
Had this same problem. It occurs because you MUST remove the trial version of the software before you install your full version of Office. After a couple iterations, I got this to work:

1. Remove Office from the computer
2. In the Applications folder, you'll find some appliction called Office Demo Removal. Run the application.
3, Re run the office install CD. This time, you will get the activation prompt.

good luck!

orsadude2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by andybrawer:
Had this same problem. It occurs because you MUST remove the trial version of the software before you install your full version of Office. After a couple iterations, I got this to work:

1. Remove Office from the computer
2. In the Applications folder, you'll find some appliction called Office Demo Removal. Run the application.
3, Re run the office install CD. This time, you will get the activation prompt.

good luck!

thanks, that worked....now I'm good to go
orsadude2

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2003, 03:03 AM

Well we welcome you switcher guy! Now do something cool with your PowerBook and then write Apple about your experience. Who knows ... a commercial could be in your future!!??

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2003, 04:35 AM

<pet peeve>
Please note: It's "Mac", not "MAC". It's an abbreviation of "Macintosh" (a type of apple), not an acronym.
This will be pointed out frequently by Mac users, so just a heads-up.
</pet peeve>

Enjoy your Mac!

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules