Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > ShopOS?

ShopOS?
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2003, 05:25 PM

Here is the latest insubstantial yet intriguing scoop from LoopRumors:

We have just learned some very exciting news regarding the forthcoming Macintosh Operating System from Apple, codenamed 'Panther.' Those close to the project tell us that Panther will be "unlike anything else out there," and will "end all comparisons" between Microsoft Windows and the Mac. The new operating system will have Amazon's one-click technology built right in, so shopping becomes part of the OS. We also learned that everything will be as simple as the current iPhoto strategy, where you plug in any of today's popular digital camera and "it just works." As in years past, Apple is working hard on making the new OS work for the user rather than the user doing the work.
My heart skipped a beat when I read that. Not that it's impossible to make shopping "a part of the OS" and still have something slick and friendly and useable. I just can't quite see how it will be done. Apple knows better than to go the Microsoft route and litter the OS with "Click here to sign up for .Mac services!" ads, right? I mean they do know that? So what kind of shopping are they talking about? Is it nothing more than the new click-and-buy music downloading service?

The idea of a MacOS to "end all comparisons" to Windows is refreshing; it's certainly hubristic nonsense, but it's nice to see confidence radiating from Cupertino like that (provided of course this whole thing isn't complete fiction). But this one-click buying thing ...
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 10:27 PM

They could just be talking out of their rear ends...
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2003, 10:47 PM

What the hell can you shop for..items that match the selected filename or something? What a load of crap.

rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2003, 11:15 PM

I think it's a terrible idea to have shopping built into the OS.

That Get Mac OS X software item in the Finder Apple Menu is just clutter.

Quite the opposite is having a music download and purchasing sevice built into iTunes. This is remarkable. In fact, once services like this develop and become more mainstream, it is likely to change the way the music industry operates.

Once "Singles" become more accessible it will change the dynamics for young, new and old artists. This in turn might spur a new bread of talent that may normally have not made it as artists?
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by rmendis:
I think it's a terrible idea to have shopping built into the OS.
Yep, I wouldn't be very excited about that. I know where to find stuff online if I want it, I don't need any big red flashing buttons or banners any more than there are now. The net is already riddled with that stuff.

Eww, yeah it is. I wonder if people actually use that...
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2003, 12:18 AM

If you read carefully, you'll notice it only says "The new operating system will have Amazon's one-click technology built right in, so shopping becomes part of the OS."

To me, this suggests that the technology behind Amazon's One-Click services will be built in to the OS, not necessarily the shopping iteslf. I assume this will relate to buying prints through iPhoto (I know it's already possible), buying music through iTunes, and possibly buying media such as blank CD's, and blank DVD's through iDVD. Also, I can see them building something in where software developers could allow their users to purchase paid upgrades right from the OS, or without leaving the application. I'm sure there are more possibilities here. I, for one would love this sort of thing buit in. As long as it was transparent and ad free, of course. I'd love to be able to buy some music with a click within iTunes.

I really don't see Apple doing something like putting web shopping in the OS. Not only is it not innovative in any way, it's just not wanted by anyone.

Just my thoughts.

PreciousBbird
Apr 5, 2003, 12:24 AM

That Get Mac OS X software item in the Finder Apple Menu is just clutter
I sure don't use it. I never even noticed it!

As far as 'one-click' shopping goes, whether it's the 'technology' or built into the OS - big deal. Yawn.

But ya know? I'll probably buy it anyway!! It will probably have a great look.

She's too happy!

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
If you read carefully, you'll notice it only says "The new operating system will have Amazon's one-click technology built right in, so shopping becomes part of the OS."
I really don't see Apple doing something like putting web shopping in the OS. Not only is it not innovative in any way, it's just not wanted by anyone.

Just my thoughts.
I don't really see this happening either. But you never know. They could setup a secure network protocol into the OS that apps could make calles to. Then iTunes could be used to buy music, while general items could be purchased via Sherlock. Apple knows that an HTML browser isn't always the best way to use an internet service. I dunno. Prolly is just a sad guess with Panther being pretty mysterious still.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2003, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
[...] while general items could be purchased via Sherlock.
Sherlock... or Clouseau (new icon required for the app!)...?

BTW... certainly, there should be many better priorities for Apple than an hypothetical "shopping OS"...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2003, 06:48 PM

I think that menu is good, it helps newbie users realise that can download lots of apps from the net, and not just go to the store and find they cant get any...

er, yeah, you know what I mean.

-Owl

macmike42
Senior User
Apr 5, 2003, 06:57 PM

As stupid as the LoopRumors "article" sounds, think about this:

1. Safari 1.0 with autocomplete.
2. Slightly enhanced Keychain.
3. 1 + 2 = Passport done right.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Cipher13
Apr 6, 2003, 02:57 AM

I do not WANT shopping to be a part of my OS.

I don't shop online at all, why would I want even better integration? Sure, other people might shop online, but they certainly don't need it built into the OS... every time you open a JPEG, you don't need to be offered a new digital camera or printer.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 10:43 PM

It will probably be built into the system preferences like inkwell is.
Or it could be an application like Terminal which doesn't intrude into a regular users day.
But more likely, it'll be a menu bar item.

If people are as freaked out about this as they were about Mac OS X itself i could only hope they don't die from shock when Quark XPress comes out..if ever.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2003, 09:23 AM

I think this is a very bad idea. I don't want any more wasted space. iPhoto is the perfect example. There are all those icons that I will never use.

I hate that iPhoto has "Order Prints" and "Order Book" as unchangeable icons on the bottom tray. I'm cool with Apple trying to make an extra buck, but don't force this on us!

Can you imagine iTunes, iMovie, iCal and Address Book (along with ever other application) all with specific selling options?

Good Grief

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2003, 09:26 AM

Heheh... strong reactions to a vague rumor.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon integration is extended past sherlock 3... for me this would be a mere gimick.

Or... perhaps it means that a secure, credit card API is built into the OS available to any app including web browsers.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by dfiler:

Or... perhaps it means that a secure, credit card API is built into the OS available to any app including web browsers.
Similar to .net you mean?

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 01:46 PM

What I think that would be.. it something like that :

"You have a file on your desktop, you don't have the program required to open it. You get showed a list of compatible programs with price, download it off the 'Net and it gets installed. Than the OS opens your file.."

We 'know' they want a pay-per-download MP3 service included in iTunes, why not with software?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 02:47 PM

as much as I would love having an easy way to buy music and software for my mac the last thing I need is 1-click buying. I am impulsive enough as it is and would be in debt in 5 minutes if all I had to do to buy stuff was click on it.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

Can you imagine iTunes, iMovie, iCal and Address Book (along with ever other application) all with specific selling options?

Good Grief
Shop for iTunes products under the iTunes 3 application menu. The conspiracy is already starting...

Forum Links
Forum Rules