Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther 7B68

Panther 7B68 (Page 2)
Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
That player looks much nicer, although I still have no clue what those buttons on the right are for.
Those buttons have always been there, even in Jaguar. They are as follows (in columns, going down:

Column 1: Slow, Step, Return
Column 2: Subtitle, Audio, Angle

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 15, 2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
Those buttons have always been there, even in Jaguar. They are as follows (in columns, going down:

Column 1: Slow, Step, Return
Column 2: Subtitle, Audio, Angle
Heck...they were there in DVD Player 1.0 on OS 9.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Does Undo work in Text Fields in Safari yet?

<hopes> I don't suppose they sneaked Contextual Services menu in there in this build </hopes>
No and yes, you fool Hey, I would love to use the Finder for uploading via FTP. I even own a license to Transmit.

Oh, wait, a contextual service menu, no.

CyberDuck looks pretty cool though!

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 02:50 PM

I've noticed that Mail is not able to validate against my company e-mail server when trying to send a message (but it works just fine when receiving them). Basically we require user name and password and you have to use SSL encryption. I've seen this in previous builds of Panther, but I hadn't seen it for more than a month. Somehow it managed to creep back in there. Sadly this means that I can't use Panther on a daily basis. I'm not going to restart into 10.2 every time I need to send an e-mail. Also, I'm not willing to start using something like Eudora just for a beta release. Anyway, I'm confident this will be fixed.

Another bug I first noticed in 7b59 and is still there in 7b68 involves Samba. I can view all the Windows computers on my network at work (I'm the only Mac), and I can connect to them. However, I can't see all of the shared folders (2 out of 3 in this case), and the file list does not update as I change the contents of the folder. This is true even if I close the Finder window and open another one. Finally, right clicking on the computer and choosing eject does nothing. There's also a move to trash option that tells you that you don't have permission to move the item to the trash (Panther treats these servers as aliases). Not really sure what to make of this one. Does anyone else experience this?

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
I've noticed that Mail is not able to validate against my company e-mail server when trying to send a message (but it works just fine when receiving them). Basically we require user name and password and you have to use SSL encryption. I've seen this in previous builds of Panther, but I hadn't seen it for more than a month. Somehow it managed to creep back in there. Sadly this means that I can't use Panther on a daily basis. I'm not going to restart into 10.2 every time I need to send an e-mail. Also, I'm not willing to start using something like Eudora just for a beta release. Anyway, I'm confident this will be fixed.

Another bug I first noticed in 7b59 and is still there in 7b68 involves Samba. I can view all the Windows computers on my network at work (I'm the only Mac), and I can connect to them. However, I can't see all of the shared folders (2 out of 3 in this case), and the file list does not update as I change the contents of the folder. This is true even if I close the Finder window and open another one. Finally, right clicking on the computer and choosing eject does nothing. There's also a move to trash option that tells you that you don't have permission to move the item to the trash (Panther treats these servers as aliases). Not really sure what to make of this one. Does anyone else experience this?

I have never had either AFP or SMB shares even mount!
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2003, 03:19 PM

7b68 does away with the Finder eject button next to internal hard drives, yay!

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2003, 03:47 PM

Sometimes. But NO. The autoupdate was removed from earlier builds of panther simply because it wouldn't be complete in time for release. But it was in the works. So eventually this will be completed.

I hope this answer your questions (this applies to all panther builds) please stop asking in every single panther thread.

Deal with it for now.

Originally posted by pat++:
hehe. When I saw you posted on this thread, I was pretty sure of what would be your question btw, this is really my biggest concern about Panther.... we definitely need a Finder which auto updates files... anyone with 7B68 can test? Maybe you should go to AE and talk to Steve about this

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 04:41 PM

Disks are on the Desktop by defualt again.

Also SMB browsing finally works!!

Edit: No one has mentioned the new monitor calibration software that has been in 10.3 since WWDC; it's really very good!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 05:04 PM

Wasn't it rumoured that Apple would include an un-delete feature with Panther? Now that we have the option of choosing secure delete, they should include a way to retrieve normal deleted files like Norton etc. can..

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
Wasn't it rumoured that Apple would include an un-delete feature with Panther? Now that we have the option of choosing secure delete, they should include a way to retrieve normal deleted files like Norton etc. can..
Yes, Junkyard. I wish that the rumor
had been true. (So far, there's no sign
of it.)

Also, I wish they'd include a system
rollback feature.

geekwagon
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:

Edit: No one has mentioned the new monitor calibration software that has been in 10.3 since WWDC; it's really very good!
Agreed, it is awesome.

SMB browsing worked for me pretty well in 53 too.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Spaztik:
I want some more screenshots. Yeah, I doubt Apple is ever going to notice that the scroll bars, progress bars and title bar widgets are still 10.0 "blurry-style"

But, oh well... We have Max to fix whatever imperfections Apple seems to miss so easily.
I don't really notice problems with the scroll/progress bars. Maybe someone would be nice enough to make a mockup or "themeshot" (theme screenshot) showing what it would look like?
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
Agreed, it is awesome.
Any chance of hardware sensor integration or is it all by eyeball, like now?

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 06:23 PM

It has been the default for 10.1 and 10.2, hasn't it?

geekwagon
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Any chance of hardware sensor integration or is it all by eyeball, like now?
It looks like it is all eyeball. But it gives you a lot better shot at getting it right as it seems to kinda get progressively more accurate (like how an eye-doctor will dial in a prescription on his machine..)

geekwagon
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
It has been the default for 10.1 and 10.2, hasn't it?
But, not in the last few 10.3 builds.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
I don't really notice problems with the scroll/progress bars. Maybe someone would be nice enough to make a mockup or "themeshot" (theme screenshot) showing what it would look like?
Look at scroll, scroll arrow, progress bar and status bar. (don't mind the tabs and everything else)

See the difference? The one on the right is improved by Max Rudberg. Once you tried the improved widgets version, you'll never want to go back. The old one is too blurry.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
I have to disagree. Granted, the icon will undoubtedly be touched up before GM, but I think the ethernet jack is flat because 99.9999% of all ethernet and phone jacks are flat, and the effect is not unrealistic. If you intersect a sphere with a plane and slice it in two, then you get the look here - very much like a "Magic 8-Ball" which is all rounded except for one flat side, which also has a bevel.

Having said that, the jack does appear to have very slight curvature, but not nearly that of the sphere.

At least it looks a lot better than the old phone book icon.
You misunderstand me...

Yes, of COURSE the jack and it's facia will be flat, but the way that it is EMBEDDED into the rounded sphere is by use of a simple "bevel" around the face-plate and the shadows & refraction of the "sphere" are not congruent to having such a faceplate in-front.

Again... it's not BAD... I am just nit-picking at something that I would have taken a little further, that's all. I would have:

a) Made the face-plate appear to be arc'ed & spherical to match... and/or...

b) Modified the shading & refraction to reflect the presence of an object blocking light.

Yep... that's me...! Mr. Anal...!

Heheheh...

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 07:35 PM

I just whipped-up a quickie using the "Sphere" from the ,mac login and the jack from the previous icon.

Right-off-the-bat... notice how the previous icon looks "flatter" & not as "rounded" whereas the .mac icon is truly a sphere (I just color-shifted it in P-Shop).

It just seems a little "Deeper" when I use that icon and added the inner shadow.

Not that my quick rendition is going to win any awards EITHER, but just making my point.

Later.

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
7b68 does away with the Finder eject button next to internal hard drives, yay!

I did an erase install of B59 and I also
only have eject buttons next to external
drives, and not next to my internal drives.
If it ain't broken... Fix it!�

Spaztik
Sep 15, 2003, 08:03 PM

See the difference? The one on the right is improved by Max Rudberg. Once you tried the improved widgets version, you'll never want to go back. The old one is too blurry.
Once you go Max, you never go Bax. Heh.
"Once you go Max, you never go bax!"

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Look at scroll, scroll arrow, progress bar and status bar. (don't mind the tabs and everything else)

Wow, I see. I also hope they do sharpen it up then!

-Owl

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 15, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Spaztik:
Once you go Max, you never go Bax. Heh.
*Weirded Out*

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 09:19 PM

NOW I get it - I was really confused by the whole "blurry control" thing, but that really is a huge difference. I've been very anti-theme on my system, but I may have to install that once Panther arrives. Between that and the "iFix" series from HappiIcon (is that it?), everything looks much more consistent and professional.

Submit bug reports, people. These are things that would take a graphic designer an hour or two to fix (that is, if they don't simply say "Hey, Max, how about we give you $x and you just give us those pixmaps"). Are they tiny little things? Yeah. Do they really matter? No. But do they contribute to the whole polish of OS X we've come to expect. Yup, they certainly do.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2003, 09:21 PM

Well if you are going to mention new monitor calibration software, you should at least tell us how to access it

Peabo
Senior User
Sep 15, 2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
Well if you are going to mention new monitor calibration software, you should at least tell us how to access it

It's in the displays control pane
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2003, 09:30 PM

Webscreamer a lot of those oddities you are reporting don't happen in my copy of 7B68. Esp the graphite buttons not changing.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 15, 2003, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Webscreamer a lot of those oddities you are reporting don't happen in my copy of 7B68. Esp the graphite buttons not changing.
Not sure if it's the case but I think Webscreamer's been upgrading instead of making clean installs.

Could be wrong though.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2003, 10:28 PM

One the DVD Player

It is very snappy now, when going from menu to menu, and menu to video, and chapter to chapter. (At least on my PB G4 12 inch.)

And the deinterlaceing looks great now too! So all your TV shows, and suppliments will look great! The first builds with deinterlaceing had a bit to desire in quality, now it is great! (I know, silly comment on something I should have never even seen... but still )

-Owl

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 15, 2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Not sure if it's the case but I think Webscreamer's been upgrading instead of making clean installs.

Could be wrong though.
That might be it, I just save my users folder. The rest get trashed.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 10:31 PM

Could be wrong though.
Webscreamer *always* performs a clean erase and install on every new build that comes out.

I checked them all and they all are still there. In fact, I took all new screen shots of everything in this report. So these are all from 7B68.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 15, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
One the DVD Player

It is very snappy now, when going from menu to menu, and menu to video, and chapter to chapter. (At least on my PB G4 12 inch.)

And the deinterlaceing looks great now too! So all your TV shows, and suppliments will look great! The first builds with deinterlaceing had a bit to desire in quality, now it is great! (I know, silly comment on something I should have never even seen... but still )

-Owl
The problem is...about 75% of my DVDs just don't work with DVD Player.

DVD Player beachballs when I put Simpsons Season 3 DVDs in my computer...same with South Park Season 1. Sometimes, DVD Player will blow up about halfway through a movie...then spews out something about my DVD being dusty or scratched. And lemme tell you...they're far from being dusty or scratched when they're coming out of the shrinkwrap.

Playing all of these DVDs in vlc cures the problem. So what's the deal Apple?

vod[k]a
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by eizzumdm:

Sometimes I don't know WTF Apple's icon designers are thinking. What am I supposed to infer from looking at that icon? It looks like a phone jack in a big purple sphere of sperm cells. A simple is much more self explanatory.

Having said that, I'll still buy panther.

���������������������
I want you to have my credit card number

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 15, 2003, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by vod[k]a:
Sometimes I don't know WTF Apple's icon designers are thinking. What am I supposed to infer from looking at that icon? It looks like a phone jack in a big purple sphere of sperm cells. A simple is much more self explanatory.

Having said that, I'll still buy panther.
WTF is THAT? I have to connect the two computers with a phone?

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2003, 10:51 PM

Ah I see now. Now I want that theme! Looking through ResExcellence...
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

vod[k]a
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 10:53 PM

WTF is THAT? I have to connect the two computers with a phone?
bingo!

���������������������

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2003, 10:56 PM

bingo!
That icon would be inappropriate for Internet Connect since it is used for more than modem connections. It is also used with AirPort and VPN connections.
Vandelay Industries

vod[k]a
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
That icon would be inappropriate for Internet Connect since it is used for more than modem connections. It is also used with AirPort and VPN connections.
Good point. But what I'm trying to say is that an icon should be simple and self explanatory. This new internet connect icon is interesting, yet dubious.

���������������������

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 15, 2003, 11:19 PM

I tried connecting two computers with a phone once...not only was I not able to connect to the internet, I wasn't able to connect the computers together with the phone without punching a second hole into the phone and pretending it was a second jack.

vod[k]a
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2003, 11:36 PM

You, kind sir, are an idiot.

���������������������

nforcer
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 06:23 AM

The problem is...about 75% of my DVDs just don't work with DVD Player.

DVD Player beachballs when I put Simpsons Season 3 DVDs in my computer...same with South Park Season 1. Sometimes, DVD Player will blow up about halfway through a movie...then spews out something about my DVD being dusty or scratched. And lemme tell you...they're far from being dusty or scratched when they're coming out of the shrinkwrap.

Playing all of these DVDs in vlc cures the problem. So what's the deal Apple?
I was going to ask the same thing. For some reason a few particular DVDs I have cause DVD Player under 10.2 to freeze the entire system (nice multithreading, my ass) while it does whatever it is doing. Often it takes longer to force quit the player than to force restart the comp!

When you were mentioning your problem, were you referring to the DVD Player app in 7B68? I'm very curious to see if this problem is fixed, since I just went through and hour and a half of hell thanks to DVD problems (although that was when I tried the DVD Player from OS 9).

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 06:26 AM

You, kind sir, are an idiot.
Perhaps, but he made me laugh.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 16, 2003, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by nforcer:
I was going to ask the same thing. For some reason a few particular DVDs I have cause DVD Player under 10.2 to freeze the entire system (nice multithreading, my ass) while it does whatever it is doing. Often it takes longer to force quit the player than to force restart the comp!

When you were mentioning your problem, were you referring to the DVD Player app in 7B68? I'm very curious to see if this problem is fixed, since I just went through and hour and a half of hell thanks to DVD problems (although that was when I tried the DVD Player from OS 9).
I only got 7B44 at the moment. So I don't know if DVD Player 7B68 is any better...but I doubt it. This problem has been around since forever.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 07:14 AM

That Internet Connect icon is terrible - they should use this one instead:

simifilm
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
That Internet Connect icon is terrible - they should use this one instead:

This one really made me laugh.

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by nforcer:
DVD Player under 10.2 to freeze the entire system (nice multithreading, my ass)
This is likely a driver problem while polling the drive. I don't think any OS since the Amiga hasn't come to a grinding halt when the hardware forces it...

Maybe Mac OS XI.

(Wonder how big Steve's baldspot will be by the time *that* is unveiled. Or maybe Steve Jnr will have taken over the running of Apple by then. Hey, works for the USA. )

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2003, 09:07 AM

Here's your internet connect icon:

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Here's your internet connect icon:

How OLD is that phone?!

In good condition, an antique dealer might offer more for it than the iMacs are worth...

Thinine
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 09:31 AM

He's a foreigner. You know how backward they are.

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by michaelb:
How OLD is that phone?!

In good condition, an antique dealer might offer more for it than the iMacs are worth...
I have exactly the same model here on my desk. It's some army equipment from Darmstadt. Would you like to buy it? :-) Just make an offer. ;-)

Ah, it works pretty well, btw, just has a German phone jack, but you could easily change it or buy a converter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules