Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm visiting New Orleans next week. Suggest worthwhile sights/restaurants.

I'm visiting New Orleans next week. Suggest worthwhile sights/restaurants.
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 01:07 PM

The g/f and I are taking a drive down to New Orleans this weekend. We're staying in what I'm told is a very cozy place in the garden district. We have a few ideas of what we want to do -- the Audobon zoo being a big one -- but otherwise we're keeping things deliberately unstructured. We'll arrive Saturday and leave the following Friday.

So, if anyone knows the city well and would like to recommend good eating spots or places to visit, by all means do so. We're open to lots of things, though neither of us are big drinkers/partiers. I've been to NO before but didn't venture much beyond the French Quarter.

Thanks all ...
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 02:54 PM

i make a trip once a year, stay in the french quarter every time.

on of my favorit things to do is the paddleboat zoo/aquarium combo. pay one price and you get admission to the zoo and the aquarium, with boat transportation to/from the zoo. you can add in the IMAX show (next to the aquarium) if you like too.

head thru the french market too. always the cheap place to pick up NO stuff (it is where i get my aligator heads).

of course, you have the graveyard/architecture/jazz tours. always fun. i've stopped going though, not so much i dont' enjoy it, but i now know my way around and can go right to the things i want to see. worth the time and money if you have never done one before.

even though you say you don't drink/party, there are numerous live jazz/blues/rock places on borbuen and just off. great to spend the afternoon and night...plus all the normal mahyem that happens.

last trip, took a dinner cruise on the river too, that was fun.

hmmm, lemme think...

for me, the zoo/aquarium and boat ride fills a day right there. get back that evening, relax for a few, then head on out to dinner.

but, if you are only there for a couple days, you may not be able to get it in. i stay for aleast 5 days when i go

Chuckmcd
Senior User
Sep 22, 2003, 02:57 PM

In the garden district there's a place called Copeland's and another named Canons. Both are excellent restaurants. they are both right on St. Charles' street, and very nice places to eat out for the evening.

Nonsuch  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2003, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by residentEvil:
but, if you are only there for a couple days, you may not be able to get it in. i stay for aleast 5 days when i go
We're there for 6 days (arrive Saturday, leave following Friday), so your suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

davechen
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 04:32 PM

My favorite restaurant in New Orleans is Mother's (401 Poydras St.) Jambalaya, crawfish etoufee, debris poboys. Mmmm. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Other classic New Orleans things to eat are beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe Du Monde and muffalettas from the Central Grocery.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 04:40 PM

Definitely go for the graveyard tours. We took the St. Charles streetcar out a ways and just walked around the old neighborhoods, too. I think that is the Garden district, though, so maybe you should take thestreetcar IN to the Quarter. I ate so much good food there, but can't remember the name of any of the restaurants.

If you can find it, there's a gallery in the quarter that specializes in historical photographs. They've got an orig. Fox Talbot print in there, and a ton of other cool stuff. I was just blown away by the breadth of the collection there. I recall it was maybe two blocks closer to the river from Bourbon street, on the upstream side of the Cathedral.

Edit: Ah, here it is: http://www.agallery.com/

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

catsank
Sep 22, 2003, 04:49 PM

I think the saints are playing Indianapolis
- go wild at the Superdome...

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2003, 06:55 PM

Do not miss Uglesich's. Lunch only, fairly long queue, seedy part of town (between Garden and French Quarter) and worth every inconvience. Go there before they make good on their promise to close forever.

http://www.bayoudog.com/02NOE/uglesich.htm

jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2003, 07:29 PM

Listen to davechen! I have been several times and I never miss a good beignet from Cafe Du Monde and a Muffaletta from Central Grocery for lunch is a must. Don't miss these treats. Have Fun!

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 07:53 PM

Off the beaten path, there's a bar called the Funky Butt. Ask a local for where. Very cool, laid back jazz club. Not at all touristy.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 22, 2003, 08:09 PM

For what it's worth, the last time I was in N.O. (in 1998) we went to this highly recommended fancy-pants restaurant called the Bayona.

Don't waste your money.

The food there, while pretty, was otherwise rather mediocre (and incredibly miserly in volume, though not in price), and the service was unbecoming of an Outback Steakhouse, much less a restaurant costing 3x as much. (E.g. some of us got our entrees 1/2 hour [!] after the first person.)

tooki

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 08:23 PM

PLEASE take my advice and go see this band: Rebirth Brass Band playing on Tuesday Sept. 30th at the "Maple Leaf" on 8316 Oak St, New Orleans at 10pm.

You will not regret it. They are a great act; all big horns and rhythm section that will knock your socks off doing funked up traditional N.O. marching songs, etc. Check out their web site.

I was really fortunate to be turned on to them while visiting New Orleans one Mardis Gras week and saw them at a west end of town bowling alley that serves food & drinks as well hosts bands. It was a real blast between bowls to dance to these guys. I have since bought several albums and whenever I put them everyone gets up and dances.

PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE. You won't regret it.

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

pooka
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2003, 08:31 PM

Always carry something sharp, don't eat at Copeland's (he's an asshole) and don't bet money that someone can't tell you "where you got yo' shoes at". Also try to avoid punks selling jewelry made out of silverware and don't cut me off in traffic.

Most importantly...
Do not get lost.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

catsank
Sep 23, 2003, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by pooka:
...and don't bet money that someone can't
tell you "where you got yo' shoes at".
Post of the year - and very good advice ;)

iWrite
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 08:39 AM

Make SURE you go to Cafe du Monde in the morning for coffee and beignets (square doughnuts) or your trip to New Orleans will have been wasted.

Nonsuch  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2003, 11:00 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I don't leave for a few days yet, so keep 'em coming!

memento
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2003, 11:06 AM

One of the best restaurants I've been to is NOLAs. It's one of Emeril's, so it's a pricey. Reservations are hard to get - especially on weekends.

I second Cafe Du Monde. Don't care for beignets, but I love their coffee. They've been around for ages.

One of my coolest memories there was some guy who set his full drumset up on the sidewalk and just started playing. solo. That was so cool!
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

vasu
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Chuckmcd:
In the garden district there's a place called Copeland's and another named Canons. Both are excellent restaurants. they are both right on St. Charles' street, and very nice places to eat out for the evening.
As a local, I take offense to that comment.

Nonsuch, if you'd like to talk to talk to someone who lives here in detail, get in touch.

You can IM me "vasutu", email me "vasu42 @ mac.com" (remove the spaces). Or private messsage me.

So far some pretty good recomendations. Rebirth is great..but as far as brass music goes my favorite are the Soul Rebels. You can see them every Wednesday at El Matador on Esplanade Ave, in the Marigny (edge of the quarter). Or every Thursday at Le Bon Temps, on Magazine street in Uptown new orleans.

Try to make it to Jaques-Imos (restaurant). There are dozens of other restaurants/bars/venues I can tell you about, so try and get in touch and you'll have a great time

-vasu

Forum Links
Forum Rules