Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G5 with open panel slower?

New G5 with open panel slower?
jgift
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 12:41 AM

I was reading somewhere that if you run the G5 with the side panel open to the air, the system slows the CPU's down. Is this also the case with the plastic shielding in place? ie Just remove the metal cover?

In other words, I'd like to run it with the plastic shield in place so as to monitor the insides, will I take a performance hit?

Thanks.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 12:43 AM

no. only if that plastic shielding is removed.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 02:56 AM

Great, thanks.

proton
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 09:20 AM

Apple recommends that you don't run the machine with the metal side removed either.

Power Mac G5: Leave the Door Shut When the Computer Is On

- proton

Particle_Man
Feb 7, 2004, 09:46 AM

There's a few places around that are making replacement side doors out of clear plastic. That way you can run the system the way it's supposed to be run and it'll still look good.
Check out my Website

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 10:24 AM

May I ask what it is you're monitoring inside the computer?

Originally posted by jgift:
I was reading somewhere that if you run the G5 with the side panel open to the air, the system slows the CPU's down. Is this also the case with the plastic shielding in place? ie Just remove the metal cover?

In other words, I'd like to run it with the plastic shield in place so as to monitor the insides, will I take a performance hit?

Thanks.

proton
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Particle_Man:
There's a few places around that are making replacement side doors out of clear plastic. That way you can run the system the way it's supposed to be run and it'll still look good.
The door does more than just direct air, it also protects against electromagnetic interference, as required by the FCC (in the US) and other agencies in different countries. I doubt a clear plastic door would do this.

- proton

jgift  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 04:46 PM

Ok. Great. Thanks for the feedback in advice, it's appreciated. As to the reason, aesthetics, I find the new G5's ugly and this would help a little.

Forum Links
Forum Rules