Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Audio Quality..Nano VS. iPod

Audio Quality..Nano VS. iPod
bigsmoke07
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 08:57 AM

is there a difference there? this is my primary reason for sticking with the larger ipods even though the black nano is just super cool.

but i connect my larger 40gb ipod through the dock connector to give me digital out...the sound improvement is amazing when you do this...

can i do the same with the nano?

i have the dock accessory that connects to the dock and breeds a line out jack, so superior...

btw the sound quality on the shuffle is pretty poor...so i hope this is better

thanks

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 10, 2005, 09:53 AM

The dock connector has no digital out. But it does have a true line-out. The nano continues this. The only thing its dock connector won't do (that we know of so far) are FireWire data transfers and camera card copying.

tooki

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 10:55 AM

I have been inpressed with sound quality (only using headphones though). I notice a huge difference in bass and overall range when using the nano vs. shuffle...

Originally Posted by bigsmoke07
is there a difference there? this is my primary reason for sticking with the larger ipods even though the black nano is just super cool.

but i connect my larger 40gb ipod through the dock connector to give me digital out...the sound improvement is amazing when you do this...

can i do the same with the nano?

i have the dock accessory that connects to the dock and breeds a line out jack, so superior...

btw the sound quality on the shuffle is pretty poor...so i hope this is better

thanks
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

kugino
Sep 10, 2005, 02:37 PM

i've found the volume level just a tad bit lower on the nano (need higher level for same perceived loudness), but that might just be an artifact of my listening habit last night. through the line out and using a dedicated headphone amp, though, the quality b/n the nano and 4g is indistinguishable.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2005, 02:40 PM

Does the Nano have Sound Check or any EQ settings, or is it like the shuffle?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kugino
Sep 10, 2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Does the Nano have Sound Check or any EQ settings, or is it like the shuffle?
it has all the audio capabilities of its full-sized brethren. wav, AL, EQ, podcasts, audio books, etc.

bigsmoke07  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2005, 07:35 AM

that sounds very promising. i was so shocked when i found out the diff in quality between the headphone jack and the dock line out. amazing diff!

does anyone know of any audiophile sites where the line out of the ipod is discussed in detail?

also, i've always felt the cd burning out of itunes sounded really crappy..is that true? would toast 7 be better?

thanks

Tiresias
Sep 16, 2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bigsmoke07
that sounds very promising. i was so shocked when i found out the diff in quality between the headphone jack and the dock line out. amazing diff!
Out of curiousity, I tried both. On my iPod, when using the dock line-out, it is loud, and the volume control on the iPod doesn't work. I could not really tell the difference when using the headphone jack as a line-out except that the iPod scroll wheel controlled the volume.

Are you just talking about volume, or sound quality?

But now you've got me thinkin. I'm running "harman/kardon Soundsticks II" off a Powerbook through the headphone jack. The "Soundsticks I" ran off the UBS port. Which gives a better quality? Presumably the headphone jack or else there is no difference, or JBS wouldn't would have made the switch with the new Soundsticks, no?

Edit: Seems I have digressed out of iPod territory. But it is a generic audio question. I can't think of a better forum than iPod.
( Last edited by Tiresias; Sep 16, 2005 at 08:47 AM. )

lenox
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 10:06 AM

Well, USB is digital. If the source is digital, then you're better off with usb, because the sound would go through less A<->D conversions.

Tiresias
Sep 16, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by lenox
Well, USB is digital. If the source is digital, then you're better off with usb, because the sound would go through less A<->D conversions.
Doh!

So I could be enjoying a better sound quality? But I guess there's nothing to be done if my soundsticks cable has a headphone prong. UBS adaptor?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2005, 10:52 AM

Ars Technica Review:
A brief word about sound quality: the iPod nano uses the same audio codec (the WM8975) as the 4G iPods. The first and second generation iPods used the WM8721, while the 3G iPods and iPod mini used the WM8731L. Since the iPod nano uses the same audio codech chip as the 4G, U2, and iPod photo players, its sound quality will be nearly identical to those other players.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

zoroaster68
Baninated
Sep 16, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gogarty
Doh!

So I could be enjoying a better sound quality? But I guess there's nothing to be done if my soundsticks cable has a headphone prong. UBS adaptor?
If you were truly after better quality and more accurate reproduction you'd be ditching the sound sticks, getting a real reciever, and some nice bookshelf speakers or something.

zoroaster68
Baninated
Sep 16, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by pjmurphy
I have been inpressed with sound quality (only using headphones though). I notice a huge difference in bass and overall range when using the nano vs. shuffle...
The increased bass response probably isnt' because it's higher quality sound, it's that the shuffle is a VERY small device with a very small battery. A bigger battery will have more juice to push your headphone's speakers better in the lower frequencies.

Tiresias
Sep 18, 2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by zoroaster68
If you were truly after better quality and more accurate reproduction you'd be ditching the sound sticks, getting a real reciever, and some nice bookshelf speakers or something.
"Better" is comparative. I didn't say I was looking for the best rig available. I am happy with my Soundsticks (thank you very much ), but was wondering how I could get optimal performance out of them.

Edit: Typo.

zoroaster68
Baninated
Sep 18, 2005, 02:07 AM

"Better" is comparative. I didn't say I was looking for the best rig available. I am happy with my Soundsticks (thank you very much ), but was wondering how I could get optimal performance out of them.

Edit: Typo.
That's like saying you'd like to learn which air filter provides an additional .07 horsepower for your 112 hp honda civic. ie, WHO CARES. They're so inaccurate that you aren't going to be able to tell the difference anyway, so who gives a ****.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 18, 2005, 02:44 AM

Jesus Christ...

Tiresias
Sep 18, 2005, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by zoroaster68
That's like saying you'd like to learn which air filter provides an additional .07 horsepower for your 112 hp honda civic. ie, WHO CARES. They're so inaccurate that you aren't going to be able to tell the difference anyway, so who gives a ****.
Ah... ok.

Most of the posters here give helpful and friendly advice. But every forum has its exception.

But if you are going to make yourself that exception, I think it would be better if you ran down my hardware directly, and left the analogies to people of sufficient intelligence to formulate them meaningfully.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2005, 03:51 AM

ignore sorry wrong thread

pdovinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2005, 03:51 AM

does anyone know of any audiophile sites where the line out of the ipod is discussed in detail?

Yes, read all 7 pages from here:

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalso...934/index.html

pd

zoroaster68
Baninated
Sep 18, 2005, 12:42 PM

Ah... ok.

Most of the posters here give helpful and friendly advice. But every forum has its exception.

But if you are going to make yourself that exception, I think it would be better if you ran down my hardware directly, and left the analogies to people of sufficient intelligence to formulate them meaningfully.
I'm trying to be friendly and helpful. My point was that the soundsticks are so inaccurate in terms of audiophile standards that it's kinda pointless to spend time figuring out which method of connecting them gives you .0000005% better sound. I'm not saying they're pieces of crap; I use apple pro speakers, which are even worse, but I acknowledge the fact they aren't very good at reproducing a lot of frequencies accurately. I use some Sony MDR 700s when I really want to listen to music.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by pdovinh

Yes, read all 7 pages from here:

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalso...934/index.html

pd
There is also Head-Fi.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Links
Forum Rules