Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > G5 Tower/Airport Extreme for Wife, but hard wire for G5?

G5 Tower/Airport Extreme for Wife, but hard wire for G5?
meetingpeopleiseasy
Jan 1, 2006, 05:38 PM

I have SBC DSL, with a G5 tower and my wife's 15" AL PB.
The G5 is wireless using the airport extreme base station. Basically I did this so my wife could be wireless with her PB. I'd like to be hard wired in, but I'm not sure how to do this and have the airport network set up through my G5. Can I get an ethernet cable that splits from the airport base station, then into my G5? I only ask because I get intermittent service and the bars are always jumping around. I'm suffering on the network that I built mainly for my wife! Please help.
http://www.december9.net

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2006, 11:34 AM

You seem to be asking how to connect your G5 to the DSL modem at the same time the AirPort Exrtreme is connected to it. That's not necessary.

AirPort Extreme has two ethernet ports. One (the WAN port) goes to your DSL modem. Use the other (the LAN port) for your G5. Looking at the base station from the back, the WAN port is on the left and the LAN port is on the right.

By setting up this way you don't need to change any settings on either computer and you can still share files between the computers.

Helpful?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

meetingpeopleiseasy  (op)
Jan 2, 2006, 02:56 PM

ok, thanks! I did that connected via LAN and I'm on. Now in my network settings, I didn't really have to do much since I'm connected via LAN through the airport base station. I didn't even have to add in PPoE settings for the built in ethernet option i'm on, just connect via DHCP and i'm on the net. Does that make sense? So is this a stronger option for me since I'm hard wired in, or am I still really using the Airport base station and stuck with it's speeds as if i was wireless?
http://www.december9.net

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 2, 2006, 10:24 PM

It makes tons of sense. The AXBS is taking care of the PPoE for you, and you are connecting to the Internet through it.

To make sure you're "really" using the built in ethernet, go to the Network Preferences pane and disable your AirPort card. If you don't, you'll really have two different network connections, one wired, the other wireless. This does no harm, by the way-you can leave it like this as long as you want. But for simplicity, I'd turn off the AirPort card.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules