Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keyboard layout for login page: how to set?

Keyboard layout for login page: how to set?
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2008, 12:03 PM

My wife occasionally uses a Swiss-French keyboard layout, but generally uses the US keyboard. However, on both of her machines (a G5 iMac and a MacBook), when I upgraded them to Leopard they come up using the Swiss French layout for the login window. This is a nuisance, because that layout interchanges the "y" and "z" keys from the US layout, which makes entering passwords confusing.

Making sure that the US layout is primary in her user accounts seems to have no effect on the login window. Where is the keyboard layout set for the login window, and how can I change it back to the US layout?

patrix
Aug 3, 2008, 01:56 PM

In Accounts -> Options you can enable the keyboard layout switcher in the login window. At least in Tiger...

Patrix.

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by patrix View Post
In Accounts -> Options you can enable the keyboard layout switcher in the login window. At least in Tiger...

Patrix.
Thanks. Actually, I found that option (in Leopard) shortly after posting my question, and it works. That has happened to me several times before: the mere act of posting a question to this BBoard has therapeutic effects on my ability to find the answer.

--
Steve Anderson

patrix
Aug 3, 2008, 02:40 PM

Like the saying goes: when you share a problem with someone, it's half-solved already...

Glad you fixed it!

Patrix

OreoCookie
Aug 3, 2008, 03:58 PM

Actually, he should thank her for not using a French keyboard layout (you have to press Shift to access the numbers, various other keys are remapped, among others, the Q and the A …).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 3, 2008, 07:47 PM

...and what Patrix said is really true. It really works. It has to do with phrasing your issue so that others can understand it, but it's more complicated than that. It works more frequently than you'd think...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules