Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Death of Australian Broadband

Death of Australian Broadband
iSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2002, 07:54 PM

<angry rave "by aggravated australian cable user">
Affordable and reasonably serviced cable internet access for the average Australian consumer today has today ceased to exist.

Australian ISP OptusNet today announced that it was imposing download limits for all its cable internet products. This means for that for $65 (US33) i can download up to 550MB(!!) or $80/month (US$40) users can download up to 3GB and get this; at the top end $306 (US$153) I can download 10GB!! Unbelievable. It is just unbelievable the price/quality/service we are given compared to that on offer in other countries.
</angry rave "by aggravated australian cable user">

What does it cost for cable access in other countries? Are download limits imposed?

boardsurfer
May 20, 2002, 07:56 PM

Holy crap! Lets hope earthlink and AT&T dont catch wind of that. Cable/DSL hovers around $40-$50 US AFAIK. No download restrictions.

sterfry
Forum Regular
May 20, 2002, 07:56 PM

That's pretty expensive. I believe I pay $40-ish a month for unlimited service, although Comcast sucks major wang...
How fast are the speeds out there?

dillerX
Professional Poster
May 20, 2002, 08:20 PM

I pay $49.95 for 1.5 down & 128K up with Charter
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Cellery
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 08:23 PM

Mediacom charges me $52 for unlimited download bandwidth, 3Mbps downstream and 16kbps upstream. Mediocre service for a lousy price.

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2002, 08:41 PM

In NZ I pay roughly US$40 for 600MB (be it downloaded or up) per month.

Upload speed seems to be the same as the download speed. ADSL modem - maximum speed reached was about 900KB per second. Usually sits at around 100KB.

So, in short, it sucks here too. About the same amount as the aussies.

tinrib
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by iSilver:
<STRONG>&lt;angry rave "by aggravated australian cable user"&gt;
Affordable and reasonably serviced cable internet access for the average Australian consumer today has today ceased to exist.

Australian ISP OptusNet today announced that it was imposing download limits for all its cable internet products. This means for that for $65 (US33) i can download up to 550MB(!!) or $80/month (US$40) users can download up to 3GB and get this; at the top end $306 (US$153) I can download 10GB!! Unbelievable. It is just unbelievable the price/quality/service we are given compared to that on offer in other countries.
&lt;/angry rave "by aggravated australian cable user"&gt;

What does it cost for cable access in other countries? Are download limits imposed?</STRONG>
Can you provide a link? I am getting cable installed on Thursday but they can go screw themselves if this is true

[edit: am on the phone to them now - it will only affect customers who sign up after 1st July - http://www.optus.net.au/Vign/ViewMgm...ew_303,00.html - phew ]

[edit 2: that link just shows the pricing plans it doesn't confirm what I said. I also asked how much the average usage was (as we get 10 x the average as a download limit) and she looked up and said it was currently 300mb a day - which means we can get 3 gb a day/90 gig a month. On the new pricing plans, a 10gb plan starts at $265. So any Australians thinking of getting cable, DO IT NOW!!!]

[edit 3: oh sorry - that link does confirm what I said:
Current customers on 12 month contracts will not have their monthly rate affected until the end of their 12 month commitment.
]

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: tinrib ]

jholmes
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 08:48 PM

My only broadband choice is Starband - the EchoStar(dish Network) satellite system. My downlink is up to 750 but averages 450 but the uplink sucks and I'm lucky to get 40. The bill is tied to my sat TV system and the whole kit runs about 120 a month. That's better than the 25 a month for the 28.8 dialup that's my only other choice.

But it is kinda neat to have a satellite transceiver dish in my backyard.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

Cipher13
May 21, 2002, 05:17 AM

Ugh, man this country can suck sometimes.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2002, 05:38 AM

Try living in Perth. Optus doesn't get this far out so we have Telstra, Telstra or Telstra for ADSL.

When I signed up 6 months ago it was $72 a month with no cap. Now it's AU$95/month with a 3GB cap. I usually meet the cap by the end of the month. Then it's around 30� per MB (a blatant rip-off). Don't talk to me about speed. I have the slowest ADSL available I think.

If I didn't like Quake 3 so much I would go back to a 56k modem.

IEEE1394
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2002, 05:57 AM

I suppose the best thing about NZ ADSL is that you can have unlimited full speed (8Mb down /1Mb up) unlimited traffic to gaming servers. Great for avid Quake fans

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
May 21, 2002, 06:17 AM

I read this thing that said most australians don't have cable because "they don't know what it can do for them"

The truth is it's just too expencive, ahh I hate australia!

Well atleast the broadband isp's in australia
I hate it when people from the us say to me "get cable man" because they don't know how much it costs here!

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 21, 2002, 06:20 AM

As soon as my Optus contract expires I'll have stupid 1,3 or 10 GB restrictions Why the f*** does Telstra screw us like this? Optus won't be able to last. THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO STRENGTHEN THE MARKET!!!
In vino veritas.

tinrib
Mac Elite
May 21, 2002, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
<STRONG>As soon as my Optus contract expires I'll have stupid 1,3 or 10 GB restrictions Why the f*** does Telstra screw us like this? Optus won't be able to last. THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO STRENGTHEN THE MARKET!!!</STRONG>
I think there are a lot of people today in Australia. I am pretty lucky one way and another - getting a full 12 month contract with the old download limits (approx 90 gig a month apparently) starting on thursday. And when my contract expires? well I'll be here about 1 more month doing my finals and then I'll be returning to England

i am so happy. all my life i have missed having cable by moving to a new place just as cable becomes available. NOW AT LAST, BANDWIDTH IS MINE. still i am signing the various petitions on your behalf (see slashdot)

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
May 21, 2002, 06:49 AM

in ca my service runs $54 a month for 1.6 down/160 up.. it's not the world's best, but I'll end up paying more in nevada.. my only two choices there are cable (maybe.. this really depends), dsl (IF the company wants to, not even earthlink said yes as a prospective answer), and satellite dsl (expensive equipment but I might have to deal with it).
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

simonjames
Mac Elite
May 21, 2002, 06:54 AM

Hey - you're lucky you can get Optus. I live in an apartment building - Optus won't install into *any* apartment. No reason given - just they won't. And so I am trapped to Telstra - much much more expensive than Optus. And you know what? The TIO and ACCC don't give a flying fudge - my guess is both organisations bend over forwards for Telstra. "Yes sir - do me again please"
this sig intentionally left blank

iSilver  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2002, 10:00 AM

well it looks like we are not the worst off then, it is just disappointing that "broadband" doesn't really live up its name does it? it's more like "thinband" ...

tinrib ... you said ...
currently 300mb a day - which means we can get 3 gb a day/90 gig a month. On the new pricing plans, a 10gb plan starts at $265.

If you average 10 x average daily you will get kicked off pretty quickly, you will get a warning when your Netstats get to 8. Once people start shifting to the "user pays" pricing the "average" will drop down pretty quickly ... so will your average. Beware.

Cipher13
May 21, 2002, 10:11 AM

I've been kicked off their service for exceeding limits so many times it's not funny...

(but, we're talking ~200 gigs/month here).

Hmm... they're gonna limit exceeders to the speed of a 28.8K modem... that can't be done. Uncapping the modem is so amazingly simple... there's no way to patrol it effectively. Hell, they do that to me, and I'll uncap it and use every ounce of bandwidth they have available...

Quake 3, on me

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 21, 2002, 10:15 AM

The ACCC won't do anything about Telstra because the government owns a 51% stake in Telstra. The ACCC only investigates cases which the government requested them to. Why the hell would you think the ACCC will work against the governments interests? IT'S FRICKIN' COMMUNISM!

Peter Costello selling Telstra, believe it or not is good for us. It will make sure Telstra remains competitive.
In vino veritas.

iSilver  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2002, 10:19 AM

that's a bit of relief though, the capped speed I mean when you hit yur limit, imagine having to go onto dial up for a couple of weeks, yuk! Ihug is pretty good value though i'll head back there if i have to.

They can put a cap on you, just like you are already capped at 512k at Optus. Cisco routers/switches can do just about anything,

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: iSilver ]

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 21, 2002, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>I've been kicked off their service for exceeding limits so many times it's not funny...

(but, we're talking ~200 gigs/month here).

Hmm... they're gonna limit exceeders to the speed of a 28.8K modem... that can't be done. Uncapping the modem is so amazingly simple... there's no way to patrol it effectively. Hell, they do that to me, and I'll uncap it and use every ounce of bandwidth they have available...

Quake 3, on me

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]</STRONG>
Go Cipher!

Don't you realise vandalism will get you no where?

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: undotwa ]
In vino veritas.

Cipher13
May 21, 2002, 10:23 AM

<STRONG>that's a bit of relief though, the capped speed I mean when you hit yur limit, imagine having to go onto dial up for a couple of weeks, yuk! Ihug is pretty good value though i'll head back there if i have to.

They can put a cap on you, just like you are already capped at 512k at Optus. Cisco routers/switches can do just about anything,

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: iSilver ]</STRONG>
It isn't 512K.

It's 120K UL, and pretty much uncapped downstream...

Of course it can be done, but it can be bypassed just as easily.

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 21, 2002, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

It isn't 512K.

It's 120K UL, and pretty much uncapped downstream...

Of course it can be done, but it can be bypassed just as easily.</STRONG>
It's a good thing you can setup a hotline server on that, because apparently it doesn't go towards your netstats. 128 Kbps isn't enough to upset the neighbourhood apparently.
In vino veritas.

tinrib
Mac Elite
May 21, 2002, 10:38 AM

<STRONG>tinrib ... you said ...
currently 300mb a day - which means we can get 3 gb a day/90 gig a month. On the new pricing plans, a 10gb plan starts at $265.

If you average 10 x average daily you will get kicked off pretty quickly, you will get a warning when your Netstats get to 8. Once people start shifting to the "user pays" pricing the "average" will drop down pretty quickly ... so will your average. Beware.</STRONG>
I realise that the average will be dropping every month. However, the "10 x the average" was quoted to me this morning when I phoned optus. That is also what my friend was told.

iSilver  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2002, 03:57 AM

10 times the average will give you a NetStat rating of 10 which will get you kicked off the service.

8 times the average will get you a warning ...

tis best to hover around 5 or 6, enjoy it while you can, and keep your eyes on the meter...

Particle_Man
May 23, 2002, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
<STRONG>Try living in Perth. Optus doesn't get this far out so we have Telstra, Telstra or Telstra for ADSL.

When I signed up 6 months ago it was $72 a month with no cap. Now it's AU$95/month with a 3GB cap. I usually meet the cap by the end of the month. Then it's around 30� per MB (a blatant rip-off). Don't talk to me about speed. I have the slowest ADSL available I think.

If I didn't like Quake 3 so much I would go back to a 56k modem.</STRONG>
If you want decent price in Perth go to http://www.westnet.com.au and check out their DSL offerings under the Broadband section of the site. Best prices of anyone. I'm going with the $79 a month plan for 3 gigs down. 12c a meg over you allowed downloads. Access to WAIX traffic free. Uploads aren't counted. They have a nice variety of plans. As soon as this Onramp Home Highway box comes off my wall and the line gets switched back to PTSN (supposedly the 31st of May according to Tel$tra) I'm signing up with them.
Check out my Website

Particle_Man
May 23, 2002, 05:33 AM

oops, double post

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: Particle_Man ]
Check out my Website

tinrib
Mac Elite
May 23, 2002, 06:43 AM

<STRONG>10 times the average will give you a NetStat rating of 10 which will get you kicked off the service.

8 times the average will get you a warning ...

tis best to hover around 5 or 6, enjoy it while you can, and keep your eyes on the meter... </STRONG>
ah well I just got it today and I can't think of anything to download.

undotwa
Professional Poster
May 23, 2002, 07:44 AM

ADSL is starting to look mighty attractive, much better choices compared to cable.

Split Telstra, god damn it. And merge the National party with the Liberals! Then Telstra will probably be sold off.
In vino veritas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules