Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I want to replace my stock DVD-ROM drive. What do I need to know?

I want to replace my stock DVD-ROM drive. What do I need to know?
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2003, 01:51 AM

Pretend I don't know a thing about swapping out hardware. ('Cause, um, I pretty much don't.) I have a PM G4 350 with the standard DVD-ROM internal drive. Since I have to keep this beast another year at least, I want to replace it with a CD-writin' combo drive.

My questions:

? Will any standard IDE combo drive work?

? Are certain models/makers more "Apple-friendly" than others?

? Anything else I (a fellow who can swap RAM and drop in a PCI card but has never attempted anything more complex) should know?

? Any recommendations? (I will most likely be buying off eBay or somewhere else cheap, so price is my #1 determinant here.)

Help is, as ever, appreciated. (Sorry if this should've been in Peripherals.)
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

michaelb
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 03:39 AM

Cipher13
Feb 18, 2003, 05:20 AM

Before purchasing the drive, check here for drive compatibility information. Post the model here also so I can verify.

Installation: I'm assuming it's a 350 AGP. Not much difference if it's a PCI anyway.

1. Open side door.
2. Remove faceplate - there are two clips on the door-side of the tower. Push them in and the face will come out.
3. Unscrew the two screws holding the bay to the machine at the front.
4. Pull the bay (zip and DVD joined together) out of the machine enough so that you can grab the molex (power) and IDE connectors at the back.
5. Disconnect the cables (the molex connectors are ALWAYS a bitch to get out. Don't worry about breaking anything, you wont; just pull it by the plastic and side to side. It'll come eventually)
6. Pull the bay out further and slide the drive out.
7. Check that your combo drive is set to be master (if you have other devices on that bus, let me know. From what you've described, I doubt it). I can walk you through making it master, but not until you tell me what model it is. All it involves is moving a jumper to the 'master' position.
8. Put your drive in and reconnect the IDE and molex terminals.
9. Put the bay back into the machine. It locks into place (well, not locks, but you know what I mean)
10. Re-screw the bay.
11. Put the face back on, far side first; put the far side in, then put the two pins in.
12. Close the tower door.

Voila.

That was all off the top of my head, so if I've forgotten something, I apologise. You can catch me on AIM or ICQ or something if you want a hand or have any questions or whatever.

Good luck.
( Last edited by Cipher13; Feb 18, 2003 at 05:25 AM. )

Nonsuch  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2003, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the detailed instructions, Cipher. Having looked around both the auction sites and the xlr8 reviews, I think I'm going to go with the LG GCC-4320B (32x10x40, 16xDVD). A nice mix of performance, reliability and price. If you know anything about this model, please pass it along. If all seems well, I'll snag the drive and let you know if I need further assistance.

Thanks again.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2003, 04:14 PM

I bought the LG Combo drive (12x10xsomething, anyway...the old model) for my PowerMac G4 400 (Sawtooth). I've used it more in OS X than OS 9, but it works great. Installation was easy, Toast recognised it with no prob. So I guess the new model would work just as great with your Mac.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Cipher13
Feb 19, 2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
Thanks for the detailed instructions, Cipher. Having looked around both the auction sites and the xlr8 reviews, I think I'm going to go with the LG GCC-4320B (32x10x40, 16xDVD). A nice mix of performance, reliability and price. If you know anything about this model, please pass it along. If all seems well, I'll snag the drive and let you know if I need further assistance.

Thanks again.
Sorry, I haven't had any experience with LG computer products at all... can't help you on that, but if other LG models work in OSX, chances are this one will too. Apple has a compatibility list also, I think... not sure.

Let us know how it goes.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 05:49 AM

Why is it that some dvd-rom drives are recognized by DVD player in OS 10.2.3 and others aren't? I talked to an Apple rep and she said it was a motherboard/ROM issue, which I think is complete garbage.

I'm running OS 10.2.3, my system is a B&W G3 (the version where it's got metal tray to mount 3 hard drives on it, I think that's Rev A).

Right now, here's the situation:

I got a $38 DVD-rom drive from Fry's. It's from BTC, a company that typically provides only drivers for PC computers.

I put the drive in fine into the B&W, it is recognized by the System Profiler. I can use VLC to view DVD's.

I was wanting to however, use Apple's DVD player since playback seems to be smoother on it (I've tried both of them on my ibook). However, if I click on DVD-Player, it jumps up and down and then does nothing. I had to copy DVD Player over from my iBook, when I had tried to install it from the downloadable file, the installer says "you do not have any recognizable dvd-player hardware, installation is stopping"

I tried the old hack listed on xlr8yourmac.com involving hexedit and changing a line in dvd player.app (version 3.1.1), but when I use the edit command to search for any "power" or "powermac" references, hexedit does not find any.

I'm out of ideas....anybody have suggestions? I'm all out of ideas.

Since this DVD-rom is for whatever reason, non-bootable, I was thinking of doing a mail-order of a Toshiba drive (since they seem to be more compatible according to the xlr8yourmac list), and returning the one I have right now. But I'd like to avoid this since that Toshiba might now work either, and I won't have a convenient way to return it.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by kentuckyfried:
Why is it that some dvd-rom drives are recognized by DVD player in OS 10.2.3 and others aren't? I talked to an Apple rep and she said it was a motherboard/ROM issue, which I think is complete garbage.

I'm running OS 10.2.3, my system is a B&W G3 (the version where it's got metal tray to mount 3 hard drives on it, I think that's Rev A).

Right now, here's the situation:

I got a $38 DVD-rom drive from Fry's. It's from BTC, a company that typically provides only drivers for PC computers.

I put the drive in fine into the B&W, it is recognized by the System Profiler. I can use VLC to view DVD's.

I was wanting to however, use Apple's DVD player since playback seems to be smoother on it (I've tried both of them on my ibook). However, if I click on DVD-Player, it jumps up and down and then does nothing. I had to copy DVD Player over from my iBook, when I had tried to install it from the downloadable file, the installer says "you do not have any recognizable dvd-player hardware, installation is stopping"

I tried the old hack listed on xlr8yourmac.com involving hexedit and changing a line in dvd player.app (version 3.1.1), but when I use the edit command to search for any "power" or "powermac" references, hexedit does not find any.

I'm out of ideas....anybody have suggestions? I'm all out of ideas.

Since this DVD-rom is for whatever reason, non-bootable, I was thinking of doing a mail-order of a Toshiba drive (since they seem to be more compatible according to the xlr8yourmac list), and returning the one I have right now. But I'd like to avoid this since that Toshiba might now work either, and I won't have a convenient way to return it.
The LG Combo drive I bought works with Apple DVD Player and is supported by Apple's Disc Burning App

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 08:01 AM

^ you mean the GDR-8161B? How much did you end up paying? shopper.com has this unit clocking in at around $50. Also...can you boot from that drive?
( Last edited by kentuckyfried; Feb 20, 2003 at 08:50 AM. )

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 08:40 AM

also, being kind of biased towards Toshiba products...did anybody get the SD-M1712S to boot by picking it as the startup disk as Mike suggests on xlr8yourmac?:

-----------------

Reviewer's Name: Scott
Date Submitted: 2/12/2003
Drive Type: DVD-ROM
Drive Interface: IDE
Drive Brand: Toshiba
Drive Model Number: SD-M1712 (16x/48x)
Driver Used: Apple Standard
Mac Model: Apple BW G3
Mac OS Version: OS X
Reader Comments: Using OS 10.2.3:
DVDs play great in Apple DVD Player
Mounts CDs very quickly
Will NOT boot CDs when 'c' is held at startup
(may not help, but see if selecting it as the startup disk works-Mike)

This drive fits perfect into the Blue and White G3 case. It is the same size as the standard CD-ROM, and I did not need to remove the back shielding to install it. I am happy with it other than not being able to boot CDs.

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2003, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by kentuckyfried:
^ you mean the GDR-8161B? How much did you end up paying? shopper.com has this unit clocking in at around $50. Also...can you boot from that drive?
I mean the GCC-4120B, the previous one that burns at 12x. And yes I can boot from it...like I've said, it has given me no problems whatsoever. I found it at a local retailer for around 190$ Canadian. I've had it for a year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules