Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > It's Aqua! It's Brushed Metal! It's Aqua! It's Brushed Metal! (Bias)

It's Aqua! It's Brushed Metal! It's Aqua! It's Brushed Metal! (Bias)
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 03:21 PM

Check out this screenshot. Has any application mixed GUI appearances so haphazardly? Does Apple need to lay down some serious law as to when/when not to use the brushed metal appearance?

Stop the madness!
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 03:24 PM

I'd say that the BIAS application appears to be having a bit of an "identity" crisis!

OAW

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
Check out this screenshot. Has any application mixed GUI appearances so haphazardly? Does Apple need to lay down some serious law as to when/when not to use the brushed metal appearance?
I'm pretty sure that if Apple had some serious laws for when to use it (they have some, but nobody takes them serious - not even they themselves), well, if Apple had some laws for when to use it, I'm pretty sure the developers of this app wouldn't read them.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 03:46 PM

Peak has always been one fugly app. Good to see they're not parting with a longstanding tradition. If anything, it looks worse than ever. How do they do it?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

iconizer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 11:04 PM

Hahaha... that's funny... they didn't see the "uglyness" of doing that...

wes

Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 01:09 AM

Apple needs to start by looking at there own apps. The new video apps have an incredibly inconstant interface. Every other widget is some random customs graphic that does not match any thing else in OS X or the app.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2003, 02:28 AM

Im failing to see the problem.

wtf are u guys rambling on about?

The interface looks 100% better than what it looks like in 3.2.

Hell, it was easily the ugliest looking app on OS X without any doubt using that plain white 2d interface. actually now spewbase SX is one damn ugly assed juck heap....this is just a windows hack.To me it looks just like a crappy looking windows app.

The brushed metal gives it a more defined 3d appearance for the buttons and other wigets.

If there's any app that needs an interface design its Logic Audio. Now that is an app that ignores all the Mac OS X guidelines.

eg, menu's inside the arrange window (this is like windows and should be removed an placed in the menu bar at the top of the screen)

interface buttons. when u click on a button the menu doesnt pop up, u have to hold the mouse button down for the menu to appear.... System 6 days!!!!!!!!!

http://www.emagic.de/products/ls/platinum/screen7.html

look at the sharp rectangle buttons on the mixer window. These look like cheepo windows interface widgets.

And that Font...god thats the ugliest looking piece of trash ive ever seen. Some text is some horrible pc font with crappy ailiasing and some text is the crappy same pc font without ailiasing.

talk about vomit material

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 8, 2003, 03:21 AM

The Mac OS has always been known for it GUI consitency. Sad to see that go. I used to make fun of Windows for this very reason.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
The Mac OS has always been known for it GUI consitency. Sad to see that go. I used to make fun of Windows for this very reason.
Although OS X has lost some of that "consistency" I think we are moving in the right direction. I piss and moan about the GUI and how some companies need to send their designers back to school, but spend 3 mins. on a Windows XP box, and you will RUN back to your Mac.

It's XP, it's Windows 95, it's DOS, it's Windows 2000, it's the blue screen of death...

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 12:03 PM

Maybe they want you to close your eyes and concentrate on the music while using it.
"It's a dessert topping!" "It's a floor wax!"
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 8, 2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Although OS X has lost some of that "consistency" I think we are moving in the right direction. I piss and moan about the GUI and how some companies need to send their designers back to school, but spend 3 mins. on a Windows XP box, and you will RUN back to your Mac.

It's XP, it's Windows 95, it's DOS, it's Windows 2000, it's the blue screen of death...
Actually they are moving AWAY from the right direction. Platinum was great. It was consistent. Aqua isn't very professional looking, nor is it consistent.

Hopefully Panther fixes this.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Apr 8, 2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Maybe they want you to close your eyes and concentrate on the music while using it.
"It's a dessert topping!" "It's a floor wax!"
Gotta love the "Shimmer" referrence.

RIP Gilda.

Forum Links
Forum Rules