Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Canker sore sufferers: how do you cope?

Canker sore sufferers: how do you cope?
Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 10:33 AM

Man, am I hurting right now. There's no pain quite like this one; something so small shouldn't be able to hurt so bad.

Anyway, I'm trying two new (to me) remedies right now. One is Kanka, a Blistex product that's 20% benzocaine. That helps somewhat, though it hurts like hell going on and numbs half your mouth in the process. The other is Colgate's OraBase, which is supposed to form a little shield over the sore so it doesn't keep getting irritated. Considering what I paid for it ($10 for 10 doses), I'm not very impressed with the results. Plus that really hurts going on because you have to dab the sore first to dry it.

I'm also trying to take l-lysine, which someone recommended to me. Having trouble remembering to keep up with it; besides, those pills are the size of robins' eggs.

I also use a non-SLS toothpaste (Biotene) which did reduce the frequency for a time. Obviously it wasn't good enough to keep this one away, but then I've been under some stress lately, so I suppose one mustn't blame the toothpaste.

Anyway, I can't be the only one out here dealing with this. What remedies have you guys found helpful, if any?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 12:03 PM

gargling with salt water helps make it go away faster. though it doesn't help with the pain. for quick medicinal remedies, i've found the shield thing to be annoying, but better than numbing half your mouth, as you have to hold your lip/cheek/whatever out away from your teeth as you wait for it to dry.

so yeah. it'll go away, you'll live, and life goes on
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 12:07 PM

My dentist told me to avoid tarter control toothpaste as a way to avoid getting one as easily and that has worked pretty well but bite your mouth hard enough and it'll come no matter what.

I use Zilactin-B which is one of those shield + numbing remedies. To reduce the pain during application, I ice the area first.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

frownyfrank
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2003, 12:37 PM

The best way in my experience is Listerene. It hurts like hell when you first use it, but if you keep it in your mouth for a little while (sometimes I do a few minutes) the pain will typically vanish or be greatly reduced.

You can even enjoy tomatoes again.

Suppliment this by avoiding sugar and taking vitamin C pills (not the chewable candy crap).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2003, 12:43 PM

I find hydrogen peroxide rinses to work well for me. I've also recently discovered Gly-Oxide, which seems to be roughly the equivalent of swatting a gnat with an anti-aircraft missile, but it certainly gets the job done, and done quick.

The old standby of Kank-A also works.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2003, 01:58 PM

Talk to your doctor. I got some perscription cream to apply over it at night.

Like sleeping with wax in your mouth...

But makes them go away at least 3X quicker.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 02:31 PM

Also your doctor could prescribe viscous lidocaine. You swish it around your mouth then spit it out. Numbs it longer than some of the over the counter meds, although they work well also.

If they're caused by a viral process, sometimes an anti-viral such as Zovirax or Valtrex can help.

(I forgot: You could also try 3tsp of benadryl and 3 tsp of Milk of Magnesia, swish for about 3 minutes, then spit.)
( Last edited by cjrivera; Jul 16, 2003 at 02:41 PM. )

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2003, 02:33 PM

Abusol (sp) Numbs the spot and works wonders. Hurts like Hell but the Canker sore is gone in a few days.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2003, 02:56 PM

Anbesol is amazing stuff...I think the person above this meant this product, it truly does a great job and works pretty quick.

bamburg dunes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2003, 02:59 PM

Bonjella will take the pain away in a second, you'll need to keep dabbing it until the bugger goes away, also tastes really nice too.

Also, for sore teeth or gums, try oil of cloves, works a treat.
PIXAR Animation Studios

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
Also your doctor could prescribe viscous lidocaine.
I second- I got a prescription for something called- seriously, "Magic Mouthwash." I got it for a sore throat, but it numbed the whole mouth much longer than anything I've ever used over the counter. It rocked cloroseptic's world.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2003, 04:58 PM

I used to put salt directly on my canker, and leave it there as long as I could stand it. Painful as hell, but seemed to make the canker go away much faster.

I used to get them all the time in high school, but I'm 33 now and haven't had one in years. Wonder if you just 'grow out' of them?

hayesk
Jul 16, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
I used to put salt directly on my canker, and leave it there as long as I could stand it. Painful as hell, but seemed to make the canker go away much faster.
I do the same thing. Works every time.

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2003, 11:56 AM

Gargle with Vinegar.
Works great

Ham Sandwich
Jul 17, 2003, 08:47 PM

I've battled the bastards for years and have tried basically everything. My old cure was as described above "putting salt on it directly until I couldn't stand the pain anymore" but after awhile, that stopped working.

What I did finally find that helps a lot is myrrh oil (myrrh=jesus present) applied direct a few times a day. You can find it at most health food shops. Within minutes, the pain subsides. And, unlike other remidies that also dull the pain, the myrrh helps heal the eruption, too. I used to go for weeks with a canker sore and now they've been reduced to two days or less.

Also, using a diluted mixture of myrrh and water as a mouth swisher a couple of times a week has greatly reduced the occurrence of sores.

Oh, and it's all natural, too!

Forum Links
Forum Rules