Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook has some funky USB & screen issues

MacBook has some funky USB & screen issues
seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2008, 01:01 PM

Running 10.5.2 and XP SP2 although I did a fresh install of 10.5.0 and XP SP3 for testing all of this.

MacBook is now running on the stock 80GB HDD and stock 1GB RAM, all of the issues below occur on this spec and the one in my sig.

I frequently have my USB 2.5" drive plugged into a USB port on my MacBook, usually the front one next to the line in port. If I try to plug something into the port closest to the FireWire port, nothing happens, be it iPod, mouse etc, the port is dead.
A few reboots/PRAM resets seems to be the only way to bring it back.

Now here's the twist, if I boot into XP rather than OS X the ports seem to always work fine, mounting the external drive and the mouse works.

I was planning to go to Apple with the case in hand that something was up with my logic board because of the USB port not working half the time, but I don't understand why it works in Windows all the time. Any suggestions?

Next issue is the screen, I can count about 10 dead pixels (that won't come off, so they're not dirt) so I can hopefully get that replaced. It's always had a yellowy-green tint in the lower left hand region that I didn't like as well.

The most horrible issue is one with the backlight. If I boot into Windows with an external monitor attached, the XP loading screen will come up on the external monitor. After loading XP the main screen becomes the internal screen and then the backlight starts flickering like crazy, the only way i've found to cure it is to leave the MacBook off or the backlight off for a while. Rebooting while it's like this will take the issue into OS X as well.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that people have in either fixing it myself or convincing a genius that it needs fixing.

Sean.

Forum Links
Forum Rules