Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama inauguration - gigantic waste of money?

Obama inauguration - gigantic waste of money? (Page 2)
turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
the event is NOT going to be significantly larger than any other inauguration, despite the hype.

And ALL inaugurations are global events.

Nice try though (not).
WTF ?

So all those media outlets are lying to us about the millions of people that want to come ?

Rrrrriiiiggght.

-t

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 02:36 PM

This article may clear up some of the misinformation about the cost...

http://mediamatters.org/columns/200901170003?f=h_top

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 02:44 PM

Here, the proof that it's NOT a myth.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inaug...6665946&page=1

What's more - ALOT of the money from "private donors" is actually BAIL-OUT money paid to the corporations donating it.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 02:54 PM

Here, the proof that it's NOT a myth.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inaug...6665946&page=1

What's more - ALOT of the money from "private donors" is actually BAIL-OUT money paid to the corporations donating it.
The article states that $ 49M come from the Federal government, and another $ 75M from VA, MD and D.C.

The donors make up a smaller portion of the total cost.

-t

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 02:57 PM

Just to put this into perspective:

2001 Bush inauguration: 300,000 people
2005 Bush inauguration: 400,000 people
2008 Obama inauguration: Estimates between 1 million and 5 million people

I'm not a math wiz or anything, but I would imagine that an inauguration with possibly five times as many people than both of Bush's inaugurations put together is going to cost a lot of money.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 02:59 PM

Problem with that prediction is that there are too many accommodations still availble in the greater D.C. area to support a crowd anywhere NEAR that size being present.

See, if that many people were ACTUALLY there - the vacancies wouldn't exist.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 03:00 PM

Problem with that prediction is that there are too many accommodations still availble in the greater D.C. area to support a crowd anywhere NEAR that size being present.

See, if that many people were ACTUALLY there - the vacancies wouldn't exist.
DC is pretty small, people are probably driving in from other states. Guess we'll know tomorrow.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 03:03 PM

I specifically said "Greater DC Area. That INCLUDES the adjacent states - you know, the ones within driving distance?
"That Others May Live"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 03:07 PM

I specifically said "Greater DC Area. That INCLUDES the adjacent states - you know, the ones within driving distance?
You're right. No one is going to show up. It'll be the most humiliating inaugural event. I'm going to go slit my wrist now.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 03:08 PM

OF COURSE those places in the "Greater DC Area" are available.

The major streets, brifges and highways into D.C. are going to be shut down early on, so going in and out is going to be a huge hassle. This makes people rather go INTO D.C. w/o accommodation, then having a guaranteed roof over their head but no sure way to get to the parties and back.

-t

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
You're right. No one is going to show up. It'll be the most humiliating inaugural event. I'm going to go slit my wrist now.
Nothing like being a Drama Queen, huh?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ina...l?hpid=topnews
"That Others May Live"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2009, 03:51 PM

Just to put this in perspective... the Iraq war costs about 350 million dollars per day. Every day. Day after day after day...

Seriously. This is going to be a long 4 years. Some of you guys are crying like the whole world is ending.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 03:54 PM

I have to agree that if not Obama, the organizers of this event should be doing whatever they can to set an example in terms of making the spending for this event far more thrifty. This would coincide nicely with the political rhetoric, so I agree here.

What I don't know is if the expected attendance for this event sort of snowballed out of control, whether this is something that traditionally an incoming president has a say over (as opposed to local government), etc. I also don't know exactly how Obama could be setting an example aside from making this a private, ticketed event.

Then again, on one hand it's good that there are so many people enthusiastic and politically involved - we do need that whether you support Obama or not. On the other hand, this could really help the local economy. There are definitely upsides to holding the event this way and not quelling the demand by limiting attendance. On the other hand, as has been said, it does send the wrong message about our financial situation.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 05:50 PM

Nothing like being a Drama Queen, huh?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ina...l?hpid=topnews
Just done arguing about it.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Just to put this in perspective... the Iraq war costs about 350 million dollars per day. Every day. Day after day after day...

Seriously. This is going to be a long 4 years. Some of you guys are crying like the whole world is ending.
And if McCain had won and the projected cost or the inauguration were in the same ball park, are you telling that people from the other side wouldn't be foaming at the mouth about the cost? Making the exact same arguments? I guess it's possible, but considering how polarizing the last few years have been, I find it highly unlikely. If everything were exactly same, with exception of the man raising his hand, we'd be reading the same arguments on here, just attributed to different posters.

I would have been proud if the guy who is supposed to fix this mess had said "Hey, things are tight all over. Stay home and watch and celebrate with your families, because we need to start being a little more frugal with the tax dollars". Instead what I see coming out of the gate is the same damn thing we always see. More BS, more waste, and a claim that it's a change for the better.
Nemo me impune lacesset

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2009, 07:05 PM

Where do we think this money is going to go? It's all getting moved into the hands of local businesses, security personnel, stage hands, etc... in other words... it's all stimulating the economy.

It's mostly money from big businesses, leaving their hands, and going into the hands of regular joes. How is that such a horrible thing for the economy?

If this was McCain, I would have rolled my eyes and move on with my life, not giving it a second thought... Which was pretty much the exact same reaction I had when Obama did it, except that people here are behaving as though he were selling Kentucky to the Chinese.

There will be plenty to criticize in the next few years. Save your energy for something more interesting and important.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 07:28 PM

...selling Kentucky to the Chinese.
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Remember, when Billary was elected, that was "the worse economy in 50 years" and there was no complaints. When W was reelected, the Left complained because there was a war going on. We are in the midst of a real economic turn down, no complaints about cost from those on the left.
I'll complain, if it'll shut you up. I'd prefer to not see the giant 4-day Obamapalooza that's going on right now, and if people feel like giving away 150 million, maybe they should send it to someone who really needs it bad, like the CEO of Citicorp.

There.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2009, 07:54 PM

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Hell no, they can buy their bourbon just like everyone else.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 04:20 AM

Obama lied about change. Impeachment is the only option.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 04:39 AM

Hell no, he brought change, now we have every scumbag from Hollywood in DC. Looks like a good place for a tactical nuke.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Hell no, he brought change, now we have every scumbag from Hollywood in DC. Looks like a good place for a tactical nuke.
Why do you hate America?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Why do you hate America?
It is the same old business; money is the driving force in Washington and Obama is the perfect example of it. You do not really think that big business is giving this money for free do you?

Are you going to watch the coronation of your king.
-----------------------------------

By insisting by the African American community that it is a historical event, that he is black that he should be surrounded only by black people, that the main positions in his cabinet should be held by black people, etc. that what will perpetuate divisions.

For me it is just another guy taking the oath of office tomorrow; and mark my word it is the wrong choice; things will get a lot worst under his reign; he won't bring the troops back; after 4 years he will still say that the troops will come home real soon from Iraq; that his wife is just another woman and won't do anything extraordinary except gives lavish parties for all their rich friends, etc.
----------------------------

There won't be 5 million people coming to Washington, where will you put them?

The media love to exaggerate this is how they sell their airtime; it is like the figure of 150 billion.

I agree with most of you that Obama should have told the people to stay at home; watch his taking the oath of office on tv; no parade and no balls; after all aren't you guys in the worst recession since the great depression and million of people are losing their homes, etc.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 11:17 AM

Why do you hate America?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 11:29 AM

Why do you hate America?
They hate you for your freedoms*.

Well. That and cancelling Stargate SG-1.

* May or may not be freer than any other western democracy at any particular point in time. Please check local, state and national laws before engaging in any activity whatsoever.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2009, 11:38 AM

Do not worry, you can always print some more dollars.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2009, 02:00 PM

As we consider the road that unfolds before us, we remember with humble gratitude those brave Americans who, at this very hour, patrol far-off deserts and distant mountains. They have something to tell us today, just as the fallen heroes who lie in Arlington whisper through the ages. We honor them not only because they are guardians of our liberty, but because they embody the spirit of service; a willingness to find meaning in something greater than themselves. And yet, at this moment -- a moment that will define a generation -- it is precisely this spirit that must inhabit us all.

We will begin to responsibly leave Iraq to its people, and forge a hard-earned peace in Afghanistan.

First paragragh, dead people are guarding your liberty.

2nd paragragh when?

Now you are having your very expensive parade and you will have to go back to your 2 jobs just to be able to pay your mortgage and your health care.

I knew from the start that George W. Bush administration would be a disaster like I know that this one will be a disaster.

How does it feel to be had by a beau parleur?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 02:10 PM

So who wouldn't have been a disaster?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 02:11 PM

Yeah, $150 million is too much for a party, even if much of it is private funds.

Still, I do wonder how much of a boost DC is getting economically though.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I certainly thought it was odd, but then, it was on CNN.
If it's on CNN then it must be true.

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
They hate you for your freedoms*.

Well. That and cancelling Stargate SG-1.
I was expecting the SG-1 cancellation. It had gone pretty stale, and so much so that the #1 star of the show had already left.

I was more annoyed they cancelled Stargate Atlantis. I felt that had a year or so left in it, despite some of the missteps along the way.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 02:34 PM

At least black Jesus is in power now.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
At least black Jesus is in power now.
Black Muslim Jesus.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2009, 02:40 PM

The port-a-potty bill is higher. Simple fact is there are still HUNDREDS of hotel rtooms available in the capital - the event is NOT going to be significantly larger than any other inauguration, despite the hype.
This isn't true. I have a friend in town for the event. If you can find him an open hotel room, he'd really like to know about it.

Seriously. If you can find him one he'd be overjoyed. He really doesn't want to be sleeping on a bench tonight.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
This isn't true. I have a friend in town for the event. If you can find him an open hotel room, he'd really like to know about it.

Seriously. If you can find him one he'd be overjoyed. He really doesn't want to be sleeping on a bench tonight.
Your friend is an idiot.

If he'd have stayed home he could have gotten a better view of proceeds on the TV. In the warmth. And slept in his own bed tonight.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 04:17 PM

Why do you hate America?
I hate Hollywood, is that the same thing?

Ever lived there? I have. <shudder>
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Black Muslim Jesus.
Stuttering Black Muslim Jesus.
- Thomas Paine

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Your friend is an idiot.

If he'd have stayed home he could have gotten a better view of proceeds on the TV. In the warmth. And slept in his own bed tonight.
Hey, I have no sympathy for him, he voted for McCain.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2009, 05:42 PM

Strangely enough, it seems that Robert's messed up the oath this morning, and Obama was actually doing it correctly...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28753348/

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2009, 06:13 PM

This forum really is a hoot sometimes. I love you guys.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 06:23 PM

I hate Hollywood, is that the same thing?
Read your quote. you wished a nuke upon washington DC, our capitol. As much as I detested the Bush administration, did you ever see me calling for the annihilation of a couple million Americans because of it? Sheesh. Get some perspective.

^Oh HAY It's a MidFad! Glad we're here to entertain you -- it's our job. We're from the Internet.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 07:21 PM

Stuttering Black Muslim Jesus.
Stuttering Black Muslim Communist Jesus

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2009, 07:37 PM

Stuttering Black Muslim Communist Jesus
Stuttering Black Muslim Communist Terrorist Jesus

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 07:38 PM

Read your quote. you wished a nuke upon washington DC, our capitol. As much as I detested the Bush administration, did you ever see me calling for the annihilation of a couple million Americans because of it? Sheesh. Get some perspective.

^Oh HAY It's a MidFad! Glad we're here to entertain you -- it's our job. We're from the Internet.
Because I was being serious and it wasn't just me making a snide quip.

Let me try and think of other ways to get your dander up. hmm...
- Thomas Paine

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 08:05 PM

It's okay. They spent $150,000,000 to keep crazy-ass right-wingers well away from there.

Obama lied about today's schedule. Impeachment is the only option.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 08:22 PM

So, you're saying only the liberal racists showed up in DC?
- Thomas Paine

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Strangely enough, it seems that Robert's messed up the oath this morning, and Obama was actually doing it correctly...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28753348/
I'll admit to being a nerd and noticing Roberts's word rearrangement flub as he was giving the oath. But you can see how it may have seemed like he was stumbling, or had maybe just forgotten the words. Everyone else in the room with me thought that's what Obama had just done. It was nice, I thought, of Barry to pause and give Roberts the patient nod of "yo, you just ****ed up the oath of office, son" and let him correct it.

Another funny moment was Al Roker on MSNBC going on about getting an interview with the President when he passed by on foot. When Obama's going past, Roker yells something to the effect of "Mr. President! Come talk to us!" Though I don't think he heard the request, Obama's response to the chubby weather man? He points, winks, and declares "it's warm!" I giggled.

And O SNAP SUP TEXASS!
( Last edited by MindFad; Jan 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 09:17 PM

It's hard to believe that black Jesus is now our president!!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2009, 09:42 PM

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2009, 09:55 PM

So, you're saying only the liberal racists showed up in DC?
Byrd left early.
ebuddy

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2009, 10:28 PM

This is so true. I think that rather than spend 150 trillion dollars on the inauguration, they ought to have cut costs down to about 300 dollars. That would have been plenty to buy a few handles of Captain Morgan and maybe 12 cases of beer. They could have collected money to pay for a taxi to take Bush home instead of that helicopter, or he could have paid for it himself.

Rumor
Jan 20, 2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
It is the same old business; money is the driving force in Washington and Obama is the perfect example of it. You do not really think that big business is giving this money for free do you?

Are you going to watch the coronation of your king.

By insisting by the African American community that it is a historical event, that he is black that he should be surrounded only by black people, that the main positions in his cabinet should be held by black people, etc. that what will perpetuate divisions.

For me it is just another guy taking the oath of office tomorrow; and mark my word it is the wrong choice; things will get a lot worst under his reign; he won't bring the troops back; after 4 years he will still say that the troops will come home real soon from Iraq; that his wife is just another woman and won't do anything extraordinary except gives lavish parties for all their rich friends, etc.
----------------------------

There won't be 5 million people coming to Washington, where will you put them?

The media love to exaggerate this is how they sell their airtime; it is like the figure of 150 billion.

I agree with most of you that Obama should have told the people to stay at home; watch his taking the oath of office on tv; no parade and no balls; after all aren't you guys in the worst recession since the great depression and million of people are losing their homes, etc.
Who are you and what did you do with Monique?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules