Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > iphone folder question

iphone folder question
jeff k
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2015, 10:21 PM

Apple created a new folder called selfies. I really don't want a folder called selfies, but there was not a way to delete it, so I thought that deleting all the images from the unwanted folder would then make the folder deletable. But what happened is that Apple then deleted all the images from the folder and also permanently. I've never seen this before. Usually when you delete images from a folder they remain in the all photos section? Any idea on this? thanks.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2015, 07:29 PM

"Selfies" is part of Photos. It's just a self-generated album of photos of the owner of device that has the owner's face in it. It's like Faces, Places, Panoramas -- just another way to help find a particular type of photo by a certain classification.

Don't want a selfies folder? Stop taking selfies. Problem solved.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Frankie Teardrop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2015, 08:29 PM

The Selfies folder includes ANY photos on my camera roll which were taken with the front camera of ANY phone. This includes nude selfies. It's not thought out very well!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
The Selfies folder includes ANY photos on my camera roll which were taken with the front camera of ANY phone. This includes nude selfies. It's not thought out very well!

kevs
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2015, 08:46 PM

Thanks guys.
Is it the new ios? I took some selfies before and never saw this. Folders are clutter, and it seems one cannot delete Apple's created folders correct? Don't mind the folders, I would like option of keeping or deleting.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2015, 09:45 PM

New to iOS 9. Can't be removed.

P
Sep 23, 2015, 03:53 AM

Would you prefer if they were in the Camera Roll like they used to?

EDIT: They're still in Camera Roll, of course. It's just that they're now in both views.
( Last edited by P; Sep 23, 2015 at 04:36 AM. )
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2015, 02:30 PM

Interesting, I haven't played with it enough to be sure that was the case. I would certainly move any, um, "compromising" images off my Camera roll and into a second, not shared, Photos library (you can have multiple libraries, just as in iPhoto). I suppose people had this problem with iPhoto as well, since that would also be the solution for that.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

jaskets
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2015, 03:19 PM

I don't like the new selfie folder either. It also seems to be pulling photos from those loaded from my computer as well. I have a small set of images that are sync'd from my computer and it includes some illustration, head shots I cropped from other photos as well as one or two selfies from my phone that I transferred to my computer and then deleted from my iPhone (so they no longer appear in my camera roll). Well, now with the new iOS 9 Selfie folder it is pulling photos out of my sync'd computer folder, that originally were taken with my iPhone.

Anyway it isn't really a "selfie" folder, it appears to be anything taken with the front facing camera, so mine includes of my cat, a picture of my new briefcase, etc. I am not 100% why I was using my front facing camera to take those, but apparently I did.

I did send a complaint to Apple saying, "stop trying to help me, let me put things where I want them."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2015, 12:47 AM

If your cat takes selfies, you got bigger issues than folders.

-t

richarddylan16
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
Apple created a new folder called selfies. I really don't want a folder called selfies, but there was not a way to delete it, so I thought that deleting all the images from the unwanted folder would then make the folder deletable. But what happened is that Apple then deleted all the images from the folder and also permanently. I've never seen this before. Usually when you delete images from a folder they remain in the all photos section? Any idea on this? thanks.
Selfies is a good trend for everyone why you want to delete ? Sorry if i asked wrong question

Forum Links
Forum Rules