Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > ip over firewire

ip over firewire
aket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 10:04 AM

Hi you guys, I'm newby in networking, and despite the fact I don't have a Mac, I' m hopping for you to help me.

Here's the my question? How do I share Internet access with my Laptop via FireWire, beeing the Pc my access point to internet. Both have win xp. It's just plug and play?

thank you

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 6, 2005, 11:29 AM

It is supposedly "plug and play" but only in a fairly broad definition of the term. I would stay away from trying to network via firewire because of the many complex issues involved with it-particularly in XP.

With a typical PC, you can simply install a second $10 NIC and use it to share a broadband connection that comes in through the first NIC. XP recognizes multiple NICs without any problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 09:42 PM

I'm pretty sure Microsoft announced that they would not support IP over firewire. There's no good reason not to, but they don't.

Chris

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by chabig
I'm pretty sure Microsoft announced that they would not support IP over firewire. There's no good reason not to, but they don't.

Chris
The only good reason is that it's a pain in the butt to set up and get running-on ANY platform.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The only good reason is that it's a pain in the butt to set up and get running-on ANY platform.
I've done it with OS X. All you have to do is plug a firewire cable into two Macs. It's every bit as plug and play as ethernet.

Chris

larkost
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2005, 12:10 PM

IP over Firewire should only be used as an absolutely last resort. The two protocols fight each other to the point where it is not worth it. This is because they are structured to do things in very different ways.

Find a way to work with Ethernet.

rytc
Senior User
Jul 9, 2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I've also used it and under OS X is pretty easy, I'm hardly a networking expert and didn't find it any more difficult that using Ethernet.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by rytc
I've also used it and under OS X is pretty easy, I'm hardly a networking expert and didn't find it any more difficult that using Ethernet.
but that's not a valid point since the poster wants to do it from Windows to OSX.
Yes, it is easy to do with two machines running X.2 or higher but it is not easy or as simple as plugging in a firewire cable when a Windows machine is involved.

But a cheap used router or a second NIC. You will spend of all $5-$20 on them and have a much easier time.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

rytc
Senior User
Jul 9, 2005, 03:11 PM

My answer is completely valid, this site is directed at Macs not PCs.

Indeed it should be asked, why is this question even being asked in this forum and on this site? The question doesn't even relate to Macs, and none are involved. This is an XP problem and as such should be posted on a PC forum.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2005, 03:59 PM

Using firewire for networking is, as others have pointed out, a second-best choice at best. Though the firewire protocol may go really fast, the IP protocol will NOT take advantage of it. As larkost points out, the two protocols conflict with each other, resulting in a much slower transfer than simply using an ethernet cable-or better yet a cheap router as Captain Obvious mentioned.

Sure, OS X makes it easy to connect, but what kind of connection speed do you get? How does that compare to a direct ethernet connection? The only real pain in connecting two computers (of any platform) through ethernet is telling them where the other computer is. A cheap router and very little fuss makes that easier-and at 100Mbps it's pretty darn fast.

And we're dealing with the question because this forum is called "Networking," not "Mac Networking." We're not prejudiced here, you know-unlike a lot of places that discriminate AGAINST Macs because they don't know squat about them. Networking two computers of ANY platform is a basic question anyone should be able to ask here and get answered honestly and politely.

rytc
Senior User
Jul 9, 2005, 04:16 PM

Performance using "FireNet" a commercial tool from before Apple officially supported IP over Firewire on the OS
http://www.unibrain.com/reviews/fw_vs_gbit.htm

A how to on how to connect OS X to XP, could be adapted for just XP I'm sure
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...firewire+ip+xp

Also, I find this whole conflicting protocols to be rubbish - reading around it would appear IP over firewire is significantly faster than 100BaseT an comparable to Gigabit Ethernet.

rytc
Senior User
Jul 9, 2005, 04:20 PM

It's not a case of being 'prejudice' against anything - I was merely pointing out that this is an XP specific question and as such would be more likely to get an informed response from a Windows Specific board. While this subforum is indeed called 'networking' and of course questions will be asked related to PC-Mac networking, it is housed within a site specifically about Macs.

rytc
Senior User
Jul 9, 2005, 04:22 PM

Sure a 'cheap' router could do the trick too, but if both computers have firewire ports why not try it? Save the money for something else.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by rytc
I find this whole conflicting protocols to be rubbish - reading around it would appear IP over firewire is significantly faster than 100BaseT an comparable to Gigabit Ethernet.
I agree. Speaking from experience, I can tell you that IP over firewire is much faster than 100 Mbps ethernet.

Chris

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
I agree. Speaking from experience, I can tell you that IP over firewire is much faster than 100 Mbps ethernet.

Chris
which would be great and all if he had a nice big T3 or T4 but his broadband is prob capped at 1.5Mbps. Networking speed isn't going to matter much unless he is sending huge files from computer to computer on a regular basis.

Get a wired router. Everyone is selling them off to get wireless ones and the older wired versions are going for a couple bucks.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules