Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Omg Harry Potter (Spoilers)

Omg Harry Potter (Spoilers) (Page 3)
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
I disagree—if Voldemort had been Horcrucifying (as I suspect the verb would be, theoretically) Harry, not trying to kill him, it wouldn't have passed over his Parseltongue abilities, and (more importantly), it wouldn't have given him a reason to spend so much time trying to kill Harry, which we know for a fact that he has (in the duel, end of book 4, for instance, where he actually points an Avada Kedavra at Harry).

It was a great idea, but I don't think it will turn out to be true.
You have a point about him trying to kill Harry in Book 4, but how do we know that the Horcrucifying (I like that word, btw) spell wouldn't pass things like Parseltongue? As far as we know, there are no other human Horcruxes out there.

In any case, Book 7 does need to explain how it is that Harry lived; it's one of the major loose ends in the plot. This provides one possible explanation.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 01:57 PM

JKR has sort of explained how Harry Lived. She said that Lily was given the choice to live or die while protecting Harry. By Voldemort giving that choice and Lily chosing to die protecting Harry, she made the ultimate sacrifice and imparted to Harry all of her love. Love is one thing Voldemort has no knowledge of protected Harry. Voldemort also fears death above all things, hence is quest for immortally. Lily willingly chosing death confounded him and possibly added to protection that Lily's sacrifice created. Lily's love protected Harry, simple as that. A seemingly silly answer, but I believe it is correct.

My opinion on this comes from being a Dad. I have 2 children a 5 year-old and a 2 year-old. If I was in a situation where I knew the only way to save them was to die, I would. No question. The level of unconditional love I see in my childrens eyes is beyond measure.
"This is fun, right?"

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2005, 02:40 PM

CONTAINS SPOILERS! - Most people probably guessed as much long ago, but just for good measure

Originally Posted by Millennium
You have a point about him trying to kill Harry in Book 4, but how do we know that the Horcrucifying (I like that word, btw) spell wouldn't pass things like Parseltongue? As far as we know, there are no other human Horcruxes out there.
It might, that's true; but that still wouldn't explain why he would try to kill Harry. If Harry were one of Voldemorts Horcruxes, you'd think Voldemort would try to keep Harry hidden and safe, rather than kill him, since he would be one of the 'objects' protecting Voldemort's immortality. We saw how well he hid and protected the Horcruxes we know of already—the diary, entrusted to one of his closest followers, Lucius Malfoy; the ring, hidden and protected with spells in an old, abandoned house no one would be likely to come to again for many years; and the locket, hidden and very well protected in the cave with both potions and spells. It just wouldn't make sense for him to create a Horcrux out of Harry, the person he singled out from the prophecy to be his equal, and thus very dangerous to him, and leave him completely unprotected and out in the open.

To the people saying they saw the end of this book coming: I saw Dumbledore's death coming, too, since some time in Chamber of Secrets, but I did not see it coming already in book 6! I was nearly certain that Dumbledore would die in book 7, and it's been my feeling for a long time, too, that both Harry, Ron, and Hermione will, as well.

Then again, I have definitely been known to be wrong regarding these books: I thought Lupin was going to die in book 5, not Sirius, and I never saw Cedric Diggory's coming till about three lines before Voldemort says, “Kill the spare!”.

Forum Links
Forum Rules