Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My first laptop.

My first laptop.
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 12:15 AM

I'm so excited, I can't stand it! I got myself an iBook 12" with 80GB HD. This will actually be the first Mac that I've bought all by myself. It's a good feeling. It will also be my first laptop, which I'm really psyched about. I know I said I would wait until the Intel Macs, but I just couldn't wait anymore. Wireless, 512 standard? Sold! (And I'm also leaving Apple, at least temporarily, and I had to take advantage of the employee discount before I left!) I think it will be a sweet little setup for what I will use it for.

It just went into manufacturing, according to my order status. Woo! This is basically a useless thread, sorry. I'm looking forward to that New Mac Smell™ when you crack the box open. I was excited and figured I would share. Everyone does on here when they get a new Mac, and I know you all know the feeling of tracking the FedEx number religiously all day, checking the status, all to when the guy whips it out and brings it to the door—or, more likely, when you frantically run out to meet him after listening for trucks coming down the street.

[/end blog]

Question: does closing an iBook's lid actually put it to sleep, or is there some setting? If you were mirroring the video, could you close the lid and just have the mirrored monitor running, like the PowrBook?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 12:18 AM

you have to use the spanning hack to get it to clamshell.

now about that time machine...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 12:20 AM

Congratulations! Welcome to the iBook owners group. :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2005, 12:21 AM

Yes, closing the lid puts it to sleep. No, you can't run the iBook with a closed lid, unless you install the spanning hack which will enable clamshell mode. And even then, the hack may not work on the new iBooks. And even further then, the iBook wasn't designed to be used in clamshell mode, so heat problems might arise from doing so.

Congratulations.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
you have to use the spanning hack to get it to clamshell.

now about that time machine...
Dang. Ah well. I can live without clamshell mode. Oh, time machine. Now I get it.

Originally Posted by driven
Congratulations! Welcome to the iBook owners group. :-)
Thanks. Dang, I can't wait for it to arrive. I already got a sweet case and everything.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 12:25 AM

for the time machine, check the date on the blog entry in the chicken thread.

oh hell, i'm alone on this one.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 12:25 AM

Congrats 'Fad...very cool!

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 12:28 AM

I finally figured it out. I noticed it, but didn't bother changing it after I edited it to get the right grey. And now, of course, I am two minutes cooler than everyone else on the Internet.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 02:08 AM

Now if this thread goes anything like mine when I got my iBook you'll be told to
A) shut up
B) get a blog
C) shut up
D) stop being a Christian

But congrats on your iBook.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 02:55 AM

E) Come out of the closet
I, ASIMO.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by ASIMO
E) Come out of the closet
Right, forgot that one

Anyway, enjoy your iBook man, they're good Macs. what kinds do you already have?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 03:21 AM

No, I laughed at it, and thought it would be poignant to reply with a date stamp from the 14th or 15th, but unfortunately, the thread had already taken off.

Spidey79
Aug 4, 2005, 04:50 AM

F.) Salty, you might want to consider a a sex change
( Last edited by Spidey79; Aug 4, 2005 at 04:59 AM. )

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Spidey79
F.) Get a sex change
Yah this is where you've now taken it from funny and building on an inside joke to... well it's just crap. Thanks, I hope you die.

[Sigh... before anyone gets mad at me I don't ACTUALLY hope he dies... I just said that... it's like where you end off a comment where you break down a person's lame attempt at humour that really sucked, and just show how absolutely awful it was with a dry devaluement of their life. I don't actually mean it... though i do hope he gets hit by a car.]

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 04:56 AM

Congrats man! I kinda wish I had a little more time to enjoy my PowerBook, because I was like 4 days from the last day of class, it arrived while I was taking a shower (and about an hour before I had to leave), and came the morning after it was shipped, hehe.

That didn't make it any less awesome though I got to take my new toy with me, and pulling that thing out in class was ... totally unreal. Here I was with a laptop I had been dreaming to have for a couple years and well.. I was pulling it out.. woohoo Somehow, the machine lasted well over 2 hours with a like.. 30 minute charge at best

Hope you really enjoy your ibook Here's to portability!
Aloha

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 04:59 AM

I never get tired of the feeling you get when you pull out a PowerBook in front of a bunch of gawkers

"The apple lit up!"

"What's that thing made of"

"That's way hotter than my girl friend"

Il Duce
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2005, 06:28 AM

Grats MindFad!

My original white ibook 500 is slowly going the way of the dinosaur. That's why I'm picking up a new 12 inch ibook tomorrow. I'll slap an additional gig of ram in there, and maybe upgrade the hard drive. Should be a sweet little machine (seeing as my 500mhz g3 with 384 ram, 66mhz bus and 10gig hd is still quite useable).

Enjoy your new lappy. Now to see if the monitor spanning hack still works...
The Duke

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 07:21 AM

Rockin. My daughter has a surprise showing up on UPS sometime today or tomorrow. Since she's from a dysfunctional family of godless dee-vorcees, I figured we'd replace the now aging Cube that got her through school last year with an iBook (refurb. 1.2 combo/Airport) that she could tote back and forth. None of that "My homework was on the computer at my dad's" excuse any more. She doesn't know yet-- new computers make teenagers all giggly and stuff. This is gonna be fun.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
Now if this thread goes anything like mine when I got my iBook you'll be told to
A) shut up
B) get a blog
C) shut up

see. everyone generally likes mindfad because he's not a whiny bitch. take notes.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
Rockin. My daughter has a surprise showing up on UPS sometime today or tomorrow. Since she's from a dysfunctional family of godless dee-vorcees, I figured we'd replace the now aging Cube that got her through school last year with an iBook (refurb. 1.2 combo/Airport) that she could tote back and forth. None of that "My homework was on the computer at my dad's" excuse any more. She doesn't know yet-- new computers make teenagers all giggly and stuff. This is gonna be fun.
for being a good, albeit dysnfunctional, Dad.

for busting out your daughter's excuse for not getting her homework done.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

DarwinX
Aug 4, 2005, 09:54 AM

The Fad has joined the laptop fad. Congrats!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by scaught
see. everyone generally likes mindfad because he's not a whiny bitch. take notes.
I love scaught 'cause he's such an industrious lad. how do you manage to tromp all over the nothwest and still post insightful, witty, concise comments like that?

Respect!

Oh, and I'll miss you fückers. (umlauts rule)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy

for busting out your daughter's excuse for not getting her homework done.
Kids these days. Sheeeesh.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 10:40 AM

I love scaught 'cause he's such an industrious lad. how do you manage to tromp all over the nothwest and still post insightful, witty, concise comments like that?

Respect!

Oh, and I'll miss you fückers. (umlauts rule)
i know scaught has a tendency to mix up his east and west and all, but i'm pretty sure he's in the northeast.

oh, and don't forget to link to your daughters myspace when it's up and running.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 10:41 AM

I never get tired of the feeling you get when you pull out a PowerBook in front of a bunch of gawkers
It always goes like this for me:

"Hey, that's a Pentium 4, right?"

"No, it's a Mac, so it uses a PowerPC G4."

"Uh...that's a Pentium 4, right?"
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by scaught
And I'm Floridian, of course. o wai

Can I get a comparably generally liked Internet person for reference?

A) shut up
B) get a blog
C) shut up

Whoa, whoa! Keep that **** in here. But thanks.

Sweet. Hell, I'm giggly right now. You wouldn't like me when I'm not giggly. I'm broke—but giggly, goddamn it. It's oh, so good to be computerly trendy.

I was thinking about one of those stand thingies for the 'Book, but I can't figure out why the hell a piece of plastic is $40. Screw that.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 10:47 AM

i know scaught has a tendency to mix up his east and west and all, but i'm pretty sure he's in the northeast.

oh, and don't forget to link to your daughters myspace when it's up and running.
1. I stand corrected.

2. I keep a baseball bat handy for the likes of you, young man. Now run along before somebody happens to slip and hit their head on it.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 10:49 AM

good plan c_v.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 11:00 AM

I CAN DO MYSPACE ON MY MAC BOOK?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 11:03 AM

Congratulations ion your new 12" iBook MindFad. I'm sure that it will provide hours of enjoyment.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by MindFad
I CAN DO MYSPACE ON MY MAC BOOK?

Yes, they come with all the internets on them, now.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 11:26 AM

I have the feeling that new iBooks do smell especially intense.

And I get the idea why Mac users sometimes are called freaks...

historylme
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 11:55 AM

First Congratulations.

Second: 80gigs might translate to 74.5 capacity. I got mine two days ago, with the 80gig built in. I checked the syst info and it had the 74.5 with a 60 available. I understand hard drives need to format and all, but 20gigs! from what they market!

I called apple and got a $50 dollar discount because of it. If this happens to you, if you keep it, for for $60.

I hope you get the best machine.

as for mine, my firewire is not working on mine! [whimpers] AHHHH[/whimpers]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 12:07 PM

I heard Apple was aware of the problem and considering shipping them with internet sometime around 3rd quarter 2006?

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 12:12 PM

Question: does closing an iBook's lid actually put it to sleep, or is there some setting? If you were mirroring the video, could you close the lid and just have the mirrored monitor running, like the PowrBook?
if you really want to force the ibook to use clamshell mode, open the case and remove the magnet on the right side (just in front of the arrow keys) that triggers the reed switch just below the microphone.

-r.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 01:27 PM

I was thinking about one of those stand thingies for the 'Book, but I can't figure out why the hell a piece of plastic is $40. Screw that.
Finally someone who agrees
Aloha

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 02:47 PM

Yeah, you can make your own out of scouring pads, cinderblocks, sandpaper and double-sided duct tape for a fraction of the cost. Feh.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by history1me
First Congratulations.

Second: 80gigs might translate to 74.5 capacity. I got mine two days ago, with the 80gig built in. I checked the syst info and it had the 74.5 with a 60 available. I understand hard drives need to format and all, but 20gigs! from what they market!

Spidey79
Aug 4, 2005, 04:25 PM

Nani? Congrats on the ibook... I keep a baseball in hady so that I can pitch to the fathers who aer wileding a bat at my head because I met their daughters on myspace...

GranolaBoy
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2005, 04:25 PM

Congrats to Mindfad for his new baby...girl? What's her name?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2005, 04:29 PM

BUT WILL IT LET ME SHOW MY BOOBS. THEY SAY WINDOS IS EVIL AN THATS WHY IT LETS YOU SHOW BOOBS.

historylme
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 04:47 PM

Maybe I was not clear (work doesn't let me spend much time here). They actually expect me to do work.

I order the same Ibook that mindfad is writing about. I got it two days ago. I wanted to give him a heads up, to make sure that his hard drive was what he originally ordered and that if it wasn't, he could get a refund on it, saving a bit more $$.

As for mine, the firewire port is not working and I will be force to send it back, spending even more time without a computer (since my last one was stolen).

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 04:54 PM

Now the important question... what are you going to name it?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by history1me
First Congratulations.

I called apple and got a $50 dollar discount because of it. If this happens to you, if you keep it, for for $60.

I hope you get the best machine.

as for mine, my firewire is not working on mine! [whimpers] AHHHH[/whimpers]

Hard drive manufacturers list capacity in decimal. 1 MB to them is 1 million bytes.

Computers see everything in binary. 1 MB to them is 1048576 bytes.

So,

80 GB in decimal is 80,000,000,000 bytes.

80 GB in binary is 85,899,345,920 bytes.

That's a difference of 5,899,345,920 bytes. That's 5.49 GB.

I just can't see how Apple would give you $50. This is not something unique to Apple.

historylme
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 07:31 PM

You just made my day!

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 08:28 PM

We have entered phase "Preparing Shipment." Ooooh, so exciting.

Oh, and another question: I imagine you do need to charge it when you get it, but how long does it usually take to charge the battery? Also, having it plugged in and charged is fine, right? Does it just stop itself from using the battery when it's plugged in, or does it charge fully and then stop using battery power? What exactly is the process?

Oh, and it comes with iLife '05, which is sweet, but can I use it on my QuickSilver, or do they "tie" it to the iBook?

As for names, I dunno. "mindfad2"? "iFad"? "MindBook"? Possibly just "iBook" for networking purposes. But she'll always be "sexy white bitch" to me.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2005, 08:43 PM

congrats on the ibook fad - i have enjoyed my 12" for about a year now...will never go back to a desktop (gotta love being able to use your ibook anywhere in the apartment)

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2005, 03:03 AM

Thanks, dude.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2005, 08:11 AM

We have entered phase "Preparing Shipment." Ooooh, so exciting.

Oh, and another question: I imagine you do need to charge it when you get it, but how long does it usually take to charge the battery? Also, having it plugged in and charged is fine, right? Does it just stop itself from using the battery when it's plugged in, or does it charge fully and then stop using battery power? What exactly is the process?

Oh, and it comes with iLife '05, which is sweet, but can I use it on my QuickSilver, or do they "tie" it to the iBook?
1. It'll run of the power adaptor whilest charging the battery. You can see this by changing your battery/power adaptor settings in the prefs (I have my monitor dim when on bat. power) and itt'l swich as soon as you plug it in. Should take an hour or two to fully charge once you get it. You'll want to "calibrate" the battery by charging it fully once, then right after that, let it drain down to zero.

2. Install away. No copy protection, although it might only come on the Software Restore disk-- not sure if they'll ship you a seperate iLive disk or not. (Pro tip: /Library/GarageBand)

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2005, 01:40 PM

That's what I was thinking, that it might come on the restore discs, but that's fine. Sweet. Thank you for teh Texan Tips™.

Forum Links
Forum Rules