Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Wireless headaches

Wireless headaches
Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2009, 05:40 PM

I have BT business DSL, which comes with a DSL router/wireless access point. By default, it advertises 2 SSIDs, for these purposes, 1 and 2.

You are recommended to always connect to 1 (why 2 even exists, no one can tell me, but you can't turn it off). I did this from 5 or 6 different devices happily for months (laptops, printer, Wii, etc).

One day, my laptop starts getting a self assigned IP address whenever I connect to network 1. Every other device works fine- so I connect my laptop to network 2, it works, so I go with it.

Tonight, while fixing an unrelated problem with the router (bad DSL filter), I decided to try to fix my network 1 problem. I tried looking at everything I could on the router- cleared all the DHCP table, reset , nothing. I tried giving my laptop a hard-coded IP address and then reverting back to DHCP- didn't work. So I gave up and went back to network 2. Now that doesn't work either.

Everything else still connects fine to network one, and now I'm stuck on ethernet begging for help.

Back in classic MacOS days, I'd trash the network/airport pref files, rebuild the desktop and hope everything worked, which it probably would- but I'm not even sure how to begin with OS X (Snow Leopard, 10.6.2).

Any thoughts as to what to do?

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules