Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What does Apple look at when placing an Apple Store?

What does Apple look at when placing an Apple Store?
Kitschy
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 09:23 AM

So, I've noticed that Apple tends to put these Apple Stores in upscale malls or affluent neigbhorhoods. Seems like they're in large metro areas for the most part (are there any that aren't?). What else have you noticed about the locations of Apple Stores? Any other stores that are nearly ALWAYS by an Apple Store?

I'm hoping that the Oklahoma City metro area would be a candidate for an Apple Store...but it's probably wishful thinking on my part.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 10:51 AM

Apple definitely seems to prefer upscale centers, but hey, Gateway opened their stores in strip malls and look how that turned out.

I think it's more about the demographics than the size of a metro area. How does OC compare to, say, Memphis or Albany? Or Hartford?

If there's a mall or center in OC or a nearby "affluent" suburb with a Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Nordstrom or the like, you may be a candidate for an Apple Store.

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2003, 11:02 AM

The three things you need.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 11:03 AM

Some decisions make little sense. 3 stores in Northern NJ, with one (Tice's Corner) 10 minutes from the Palisades Mall in NY.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2003, 11:59 AM

They need to put one Evansville. Driving 200+ miles to the nearest Apple Store or CompUSA sucks. What's worse is that we have a frigging Gateway store but no Apple store. =p

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:06 PM

What Apple doesn't place stores in the middle of the Ghetto? I am so shocked!

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:12 PM

Ahhh. Look who's back. Our beloved dimwit: K-Mart!

I wish there was an Apple store in Utah. During the last keynote, there was a slide showing "Where people who buy computers live", and there was a dot on Salt Lake. But there is still no Apple store here, the closest ones are in Colorado and Las Vegas. There are several places with 2 or 3 Apple stores within 20 miles of each other, but I would still have to drive to Vegas. (Not always a bad thing, going to Vegas, but annoying.)

There is even a perfect spot for an Apple store here. Right next to Pottery Barn and across from Restoration Hardware. The spot is even available right now.

Oh well, I'll just have to use my brothers Student ID, and buy for cheaper from the BYU bookstore.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 12:20 PM

From a secret Apple corporate memo:
"Make sure we don't open any Apple Stores within 3 states of that d@mn whiner Kitschy!"
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Kitschy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
I think it's more about the demographics than the size of a metro area. How does OC compare to, say, Memphis or Albany? Or Hartford?
Size-wise, OKC has 1.1 million people in the metro. Memphis has 1.1 million. And Albany has 875,000. Does Albany have an Apple Store?

If there's a mall or center in OC or a nearby "affluent" suburb with a Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Nordstrom or the like, you may be a candidate for an Apple Store.
There are three malls in OKC. 2 of them I would think are candidates for an Apple Store. Penn Square Mall is located on the more affluent northwest side of OKC. In my opinion, this mall's age groups is going to be the middle agers on up, primarily. From the Penn Square web site:

Dillard's, Foley's and JCPenney, Penn Square Mall is the exclusive home to many stores such as Cache', Georgiou, Mr. Ooley's (Armani/Oxxford), Pottery Barn, Ann Taylor, Sharper Image, Williams-Sonoma, Banana Republic and Godiva Chocolatier
Penn Square has the "upscale-mall" feel.

The other candidate is Quail Springs Mall. It's located just a few minutes from OKC's most affluent suburb, Edmond. The age group of this mall seems to be high-schoolers/college/young married couples. They have Hollister, Abercrombie, Gap, Aeropostale among others and the nicest theater in the metro: a 24 screen AMC.

So, it seems there are two good choices here...I just wonder what's stopping them.

Kitschy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
From a secret Apple corporate memo:
"Make sure we don't open any Apple Stores within 3 states of that d@mn whiner Kitschy!"

It's a conspiracy!

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2003, 12:33 PM

Hard to figure sometimes, where they wind up. Back two years ago at the opening of the store at the Northshore Mall in Massachusetts, some higher-up in their retail division said they were looking at lots of places, and often they had ideas of 'perfect' places suggested by people that just couldn't work out for some reason or another. At the time, they were talking about one in Harvard Square that never actually happened. Now, there's a big vacancy from a former Gap store in Kenmore Sq that would've been an ideal place for one (very prominent), but alas, they're already 5 minutes away in CambridgeSide. D'oh. Must be kinda a hard job to figure stuff like that out...

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 12:43 PM

And what's wrong with Portland, OR? We only got 2 crappy Authorized Apple resellers out here. We need an official store!

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Kitschy:
Size-wise, OKC has 1.1 million people in the metro. Memphis has 1.1 million. And Albany has 875,000. Does Albany have an Apple Store?
Albany does indeed, at the Crossgates Mall. I shopped for a PowerBook there.

I had no idea Memphis was that big. I must spend some time there the next time I blow through Tennessee.

I don't care where else Apple has stores in the Boston area, they need a store in Faneuil Hall. Zillions of people go through there every day.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 02:00 PM

I wised they'd open one down south, like in Atlanta or Augusta,GA or Columia, SC
I heard there was gonna be one neaw Savannah..
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

InegoMontoya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
I wised they'd open one down south, like in Atlanta or Augusta,GA or Columia, SC
I heard there was gonna be one neaw Savannah..
Isn't there one in Lenox Square in Atlanta?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 03:29 PM

I think Apple does a simple checklist.

1. Large numbers of potential Mac users with disposable income -check.

2. Good storefront locations -check.

3. Solid tech-related infastructure nearby -check.

4. Area where the physical location itself will get Apple more exposure, and therefore translate to more sales -check.

5. Aww screw it! Let's just build another one in the LA metro area!

Six of them so far.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
And what's wrong with Portland, OR? We only got 2 crappy Authorized Apple resellers out here. We need an official store!
Too close to Redmond, WA.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 04:21 PM

They want to keep it "classy" and put it in the highly populated areas.

But don't they seem to be overboard in California?!

There are plenty other large cities that have jack shi*t!
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 04:29 PM

Too close to Redmond, WA.
I don't think so since there's one in Bellevue -- 10 minutes from Redmond.

Secondly, Apple looks at $$$.

If there isn't one in Portland it's because Apple doesn't think the economy will support it.

Here where I live they have stores and every single one of them is in prestigious areas with high traffic.

sooner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 05:03 PM

i think the tulsa area would be a much better place for an apple store.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
They need to put one Evansville. Driving 200+ miles to the nearest Apple Store or CompUSA sucks. What's worse is that we have a frigging Gateway store but no Apple store. =p
evansville sucks tho

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 05:59 PM

Whenever Macs were purchased before, they had to be shipped to either the person directly, or to resellers. Apple probably simply tallied up the areas were they had the largest amount of customers, and set up shop there at the nearest shopping center.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 06:27 PM

Downtown or mid-town Toronto would be a perfect spot.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 19, 2003, 06:50 PM

Rule #1. it can't be in the UK

lame.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by iWrite:
I don't think so since there's one in Bellevue -- 10 minutes from Redmond.

Secondly, Apple looks at $$$.

If there isn't one in Portland it's because Apple doesn't think the economy will support it.

Here where I live they have stores and every single one of them is in prestigious areas with high traffic.
Yeah, this sounds about right. Oregon is in really bad shape economically right now. Unemployment is the highest in the country (or at least was very recently). Our schools are in the crapper. And there are no signs of turning around.

Dammit! I want an Apple Store! I don't want to have to drive to Bellevue! (but I think I will to buy my next new Mac)

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 07:06 PM

I find SoHo kind of crowded on weekends, so I think there should be one in Brooklyn.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
I find SoHo kind of crowded on weekends, so I think there should be one in Brooklyn.
Chicago will have 3 shortly...
Damnit! I live an hour from the St Louis one! Why did they have to build it over in West County when the biggest Mac fanatic in the area lives on the east side of the river!

Forum Links
Forum Rules