Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Brother 7820N problem, solution, concerning ADF-enabler

Brother 7820N problem, solution, concerning ADF-enabler
Cold Warrior
Feb 10, 2007, 06:02 PM

Just wanted to share a problem I had with my new Brother 7820N printer. On the underside of its lid, against the left edge, there is are two small, white rollers. It helps documents from the ADF pass through correctly. Without the rollers, documents jam. This prevents multi-sheet copy/scan functionality.

Recently, this device became loose when a small spring device fell off. The spring itself has a loop on it, which is situated around a small plastic protrusion. This protrusion broke off somehow, thus allowing the spring to fall free, which allowed the white rollers to come off as well.

Super-gluing the plastic protrusion back did not work - the spring exerts too much pressure for the glue to hold it. I instead was able to take a thin piece of plastic and glue it over the same place as a part of the spring, which acted to hold in the metal bar that secures the rollers.

Now all is well again with the Brother printer and the functionality of a working ADF.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2007, 04:06 AM

Aha, so I guess I'm not alone in this. Those plastic protrusions are built so flimsily. Like you, I tried super-glueing it but that didn't work. I struggled for several weeks without the ADF (I tend to fax a lot) but I also came up with a DIY solution -- make a replacement and glue it in all the way.

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 06:39 PM

Wow, you guys are persistent. If I had this problem with a brand new printer, I'd be returning it for a refund. Thankfully, my MFC7420 has been fine.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules