Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > US Supreme Court Rules against GOP in Voter Suppression/Fraud Case in Ohio

US Supreme Court Rules against GOP in Voter Suppression/Fraud Case in Ohio
kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2008, 09:45 PM

It's not a very good election cycle for the GOP. You have McCain acting like he's been dipping into Cindy's methadone pills, the Sarah Palin disaster, the Joe the Plumber, who isn't a plumber fiasco, and McCain trailing by double digits in the national polls. That's almost as many scandals that the Bush Administration has going for them, and it took them seven and half years to accomplish. Now you can add one more nail in the coffin for McCain.

The US Supreme Court ruled against the GOP in the voter suppression case. See the GOP wanted to check newly democrats against state databases so they could challenge democrats votes. The GOP wanted to challenge 200,000 newly registered Democrats in Ohio. For example if your name was misspelled on a state document and you were a democrat, then the GOP wouldn't let you vote. That's called voter suppression and this time it blew up in the GOP's face.

Now, before some wingnut comments and brings up ACORN and calls the newly signed Democrats voter fraud, you have to remember that it's only voter fraud once the fraudulent person has voted. But GOP knows what voter fraud is, they've been doing it for years.

The best part about this ruling is that all the other GOP voter suppression lawsuits in other swing states, don't have a leg to stand on; as a sitting Federal judge won't rule against the US Supreme Court.

Better luck purging/suppressing/Jim Crow-ing the vote next election GOP.

Link to Bloomberg Story:

Ohio Democrats Win at Top U.S. Court in Voting Fight
The Religious Right is neither.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 10:14 PM

The GOP got smacked down in my state of Montana on this business too.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2008, 10:04 AM

I wonder what this means for the Secretary of State in Nevada who is investigating the voter registration fraud perpetrated by ACORN in that state?

Remember, for those keeping score at home, that Sec. of State is a Democrat.

Voter registration fraud is still fraud.

kobi  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
I wonder what this means for the Secretary of State in Nevada who is investigating the voter registration fraud perpetrated by ACORN in that state?

Remember, for those keeping score at home, that Sec. of State is a Democrat.

Voter registration fraud is still fraud.
Election Fraud

I think you need to brush up on what voter fraud actually is. Voter registration isn't fraud, it's only a fraud once Mickey Mouse tries and votes and gets away with it. No crime has been committed at the point of filling out a voter registration.

It was the US Attorney's Office who did the ACORN raid, not the Sec. Of States Office, the Sec. of State's office is the one who will determine what evidence, if any is against ACORN.

The republican's have been wanting to raid ACORN since 2006, that's why ACORN was raided this year. ACORN through their own checks would have found the bad voter registrations and purged them.

ACORN Raid tied to US Attorney's Firing

The ACORN raid is now going to be investigated for being politically motivated, as US Attorney David Iglesias was fired for not perusing voter fraud cases, as they had no legal merit in 2006.

Here's David Iglesias's thoughts on the matter:
David Iglesias says he's shocked by the news, leaked today to the Associated Press, that the FBI is pursuing a voter-fraud investigation into ACORN just weeks before the election.

"I'm astounded that this issue is being trotted out again," Iglesias told TPMmuckraker. "Based on what I saw in 2004 and 2006, it's a scare tactic." In 2006, Iglesias was fired as U.S. attorney thanks partly to his reluctance to pursue voter-fraud cases as aggressively as DOJ wanted -- one of several U.S. attorneys fired for inappropriate political reasons, according to a recently released report by DOJ's Office of the Inspector General.

Iglesias, who has been the most outspoken of the fired U.S. attorneys, went on to say that the FBI's investigation seemed designed to inappropriately create a "boogeyman" out of voter fraud.

And he added that it "stands to reason" that the investigation was launched in response to GOP complaints. In recent weeks, national Republican figures -- including John McCain at last night's debate -- have sought to make an issue out of ACORN's voter-registration activities.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 03:08 PM

Clearly the only way to cut down on this epidemic of voter fraud sweeping the country is to try to muck up our voter registration system as much as possible.

kobi  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Clearly the only way to cut down on this epidemic of voter fraud sweeping the country is to try to muck up our voter registration system as much as possible.
It's a Republican tradition, sorry no Institution to do so!

Can't have "those people" or "that one" voting, that would be Un-American.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 03:21 PM

Funny post!!!

All the Supremes stated was that an organization had no right to sue, not that the cause wasn't legal.

I believe that the lawsuit has already been re-filed by an individual. We'll wait and see what happens then and if the state of Ohio is allowed to ignore potential vote fraud.

kobi  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
I believe that the lawsuit has already been re-filed by an individual. We'll wait and see what happens then and if the state of Ohio is allowed to ignore potential vote fraud.
What Fox news "reports" isn't always true.

Once again you cite nothing.

The Supreme Court judgement still stands, no Republican voter fraud in Ohio this year.

Heresy at best.

Next.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by kobi View Post
What Fox news "reports" isn't always true.

Once again you cite nothing.
Dude...pull your head out your butt long enough to take a deep breath and learn the facts for yourself:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/1..._n_135596.html

In a brief unsigned opinion, the justices said they were not commenting on whether Ohio is complying with a provision of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 that lays out requirements for verifying voter eligibility.

Instead, they said they were granting Brunner's request because it appears that the law does not allow private entities, like the Ohio GOP, to file suit to enforce the provision of the law at issue.
The Supreme Court judgement still stands, no Republican voter fraud in Ohio this year.
...but apparently plenty of Democrat vote fraud. Congratulations. At least until the new suit reaches the courts.

kobi  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2008, 07:50 PM

Stupendousman,

I understand the ruling and the brief. I'm in full agreement with them for once.

The facts are that a new suit won't do anything, as a Federal Judge won't rule any other way than with the Supreme Court. Here's the reason why, because if it goes to the Supreme Court again chances are they won't allow the case to be heard. It's doesn't matter if it's filed by a individual or not, as they have ruled once on the matter. They will ask why this case is different and opposing council will have to explain it to the Supreme Court clerks, as the case can only get the Supreme Court by a Amicus Curiae or Writ of Certiorari brief.

For the non law type:

Amicus Curiae: Latin for "Friend of the Court" it's a brief that someone lobbies the Supreme Court to hear.

Writ of Certiorari: A decision by the Supreme Court to hear an appeal from a lower court.

The Huff Post article says nothing about a new suit being filed?!?

That's what I calling you out on, for not citing.

No citation=Hearsay

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 08:55 PM

Stupendousman,

I understand the ruling and the brief. I'm in full agreement with them for once.

The facts are that a new suit won't do anything, as a Federal Judge won't rule any other way than with the Supreme Court.
Listen, it's obvious that you DON'T understand the ruling or you wouldn't have disputed what I said from the get go.

A federal judge WILL NOT have to over-rule the Supreme Court if an INDIVIDUAL sues. The Supreme Court only said that the state GOP didn't have grounds to file suite.

The Huff Post article says nothing about a new suit being filed?!?

That's what I calling you out on, for not citing.

No citation=Hearsay
At one point, you will have to pull your head out or die of suffication:

From the Cleveland Plain Dealer website:
http://blog.cleveland.com/openers/20...lection_f.html

David Myhall, a suburban Columbus fund-raising consultant, said he merely "would like to see that the job that Jennifer Brunner was elected to do is actually done."

Myhal's case delves into an area the U.S. Supreme Court did not address. The high court's unsigned opinion, barely over a page long, did not deal with the substance of the Republicans' claim that voter fraud could run rampant without closer scrutiny by Brunner.

Rather, the court cited legal precedents in agreeing with Brunner that when Congress passed the Help America Vote Act of 2002, laying out new voter registration guidelines, it established avenues other than the federal courts for private parties like the GOP to complain.

The Ohio Republican Party "never should have been allowed through the courthouse door" in this case, Brunner said in a legal filing to the high court on Wednesday.

The state supreme court has told Brunner to respond to Myhal's suit by Monday and asked both sides to file briefs by Friday.
Extract....exhale...inhale...do a basic google search. Repeat.

kobi  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2008, 01:17 AM

Wow.

You actually cited something that wasn't a outright lie or right wing fantasy.

Congrats.

This suit is a bit different it's a State suit as it's not a Federal suit, so the US Supreme Court isn't in play. Since it's a state suit it's a different animal. When you were talking about another suit was filed you never said it was a State suit; since there was no citation to the suit how was I to know about the state suit.

This what will happen, The all Republican Ohio Supreme Court will rule in favor of their buddy David Myhall. Since his group : The 316 group does all the ads for Republican elections including running ads for two of the Supreme Court Judges who are up for re-election.

Once Ohio rules on the case, the Sec of State can then do two things; file a Writ of Certiorari and take it back to the US Supreme Court or the Sec of State will have to abide by their ruling and check the registrations, and find there wasn't any bad registrations and Democrats will get to vote; despite all the grandstanding the Republican party is doing.

My guess is that once ruled on, Brunner will file the Writ of Certiorari brief with the US Supreme Court to have the Ohio Supreme Court decision overturned.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2008, 01:25 AM

Wow.

You actually cited something that wasn't a outright lie or right wing fantasy.

Congrats.
Uh...whatever.

This suit is a bit different it's a State suit as it's not a Federal suit, so the US Supreme Court isn't in play.
Kobi.

Maybe you should just stop before you begin.

The original suit wasn't a "Federal suit" either. As the appeals mounted, it became a "federal suit". Since the lower courts all ruled that Brunner had to act...even when filed by the state GOP, it's not very likely that they'll do differently since an individual is filing the suit, and the Supremes didn't rule against the merit of the case (just who had the right to file).

Again...extract...inhale...exhale...repeat.

kobi  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2008, 04:02 AM

Boy I'm glad that your not anywhere near the legal system.

In this case you can't even follow the path of the facts.

Once again with you;

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2008, 04:38 AM

It seems to me the Court doesn't want to be accused of altering the outcome of this election and will likely stay out of any challenges, but especially those that favor the GOP.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules