Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Holy Zombie Threads, Batman! Can't we lock old threads any more?

Holy Zombie Threads, Batman! Can't we lock old threads any more?
Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2012, 04:53 AM

So I'm seeing old threads being dredged back up lately. Like one from 2006 and this one from 2002 (!)

Can we no longer lock threads that old?

-Q-
Jul 25, 2012, 05:32 AM

Reader50 will have a more detailed explanation, but fundamentally the answer is "not without great difficulty." We're exploring options but for the moment will be afflicted with some zombie thread resurrections. Prepare accordingly.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2012, 05:40 AM

Huddlerâ„¢

Thorzdad
Jul 25, 2012, 05:42 AM

As I understand it, when the forums were migrated, all threads were unlocked. We can lock threads individually, but there appears no way to bulk-lock threads over a certain age. You can imagine the work involved in going back and individually locking all old threads in the Archives.

Also, I believe there is no longer any auto-lock for dead threads.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 25, 2012, 05:59 PM

We'd hacked vB code files to block bumps on older threads. Technically, they were not locked - it just took elevated privs to bump one. Huddler doesn't have that feature, and we've no hacking access to their code files.

We might do something funny with usergroups, but it's likely to block new members from participating when they like.

Alternatively, we could use the old solution we did under UBB a decade ago. Create an Archive for each forum, and move posts older than a year or two. I started to do that with Market posts, but gave up after a few days. Huddler has no mass-move function, even for Admins. One can move 50 threads (1 page) at a time, out of 393 pages in the one forum. And while you can increase your posts-per-page setting to 100, that setting is not honored in thread views. I got maybe 40 pages into the move and gave up.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2012, 09:18 AM

You all didn't listen to me. I told you, I warned you... No one listened. You all just went about your happy lives. Posting, viewing, editing and flaming all without care for the future. I warned that locking wasn't enough, we needed to bury our threads. Nope, they say...they say how could these threads revive themselves? They're locked. Only users with supernatural permissions could raise these from the dead.

And now that the Zombie (thread) Apocalypse is upon is, who will save us now?

andi*pandi
Jul 26, 2012, 09:25 AM

We have asked the powers that be for boomsticks and baseball bats, but to no avail.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 26, 2012, 09:30 AM

Luckily the zombies will starve, as there are no brains here to be had.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 26, 2012, 10:52 AM

Ok, I finally found a use for the thumb-up button. ^^

Forum Links
Forum Rules