Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Can I change size of Boot Camp Windows XP Drive?

Can I change size of Boot Camp Windows XP Drive?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2007, 05:25 AM

I am ready to set up Boot Camp with Windows XP and will be using the newest version of Parallels which works with the Boot Camp partition.
My question: I will likely use the default of a 32GB partition. Hard Drive space is precious to me so I don't want to make a larger Windows partition than necessary but as well I know with time things like an upgrade to Vista and the fact I really have no clue how much space I'll need may mean I need to make a larger Windows partition. Do I have to completely redo the Windows partition from Boot Camp assistant and start over or can I simply resize it and make it larger?

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 05:46 AM

You can't resize it, you 're going to have to remove it and create a new one.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

mojo5436
Jan 24, 2007, 10:48 PM

I had the same issue, running a MacBook Pro with a 100 gig drive, space is precious. For a straight-up answer to your question, you'll have to re-partition your drive with Bootcamp. But if you read on I'll explain how I install windows applications on my mac partition and run them without a hitch, allowing me to keep my windows partition fairly small.

Within Parallels, you can "share" folders, meaning you will be able to access your entire Macintosh partition while booted with Parallels. This even means that you can install new programs or games onto your "shared" folder which will reside on your Macintosh partition. I simply created a folder inside my Applications folder named "Windows" and install all my windows applications and programs in there. This means you only need to make your XP partition big enough for the Operating System, plus a little extra for updates, etc.

On the other hand, this will not work while booted in Bootcamp, as the Parallels shared folder is only active while booted with Parallels. Here's a great program I use to get around this. Install this program while booted in Bootcamp and it will make your entire Macintosh partition visible, allowing you to install your games and programs on the Mac partition (I install it into the aforementioned "Windows" folder in my Macintosh Applications folder). Works great. Just run the windows setup program for the application you want to install, and when prompted, point the installer to the Mac partition instead of the default windows programs folder. I've installed 2 games this way and they run flawlessly. Just as though it were another Windows formatted drive in my computer.

Hope this helped! Feel free to ask more questions.
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz C2D 2 GB SDRAM 7200 100GB Glossy
Power Mac G4/400Mhz/AGP Graphics

Forum Links
Forum Rules