Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't login to Server Admin

Can't login to Server Admin
agentz
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 09:45 AM

Hi
This one got thrown at me at work and I've got to admit I'm stumped. Apologies beforehand if its a really obvious solution but...

One of our schools is trying out MacOSX Server 10.1.3 (I think!) running on a G4 server and all has been running nicely until last weekend.

There was a power failure at the site and the G4 went down. When everything came back up all appeared to be OK until the site administrator went to log in to Server Admin and found that his password is being rejected.

He can log in OK physically sitting at the server - its quite happy to accept his admin username and password and get him to the desktop, but when he tries the same username and password for Server Admin, no go - gets a message telling him that username/password is invalid.

Is there anything I can suggest to him to try? Being a complete novice with all things X Server is there another way that he can gain access to Server Admin? I'm assuming that there isn't an easy way to reset his password? None of the admin accounts on the box can login to Server Admin so its not specific to any one account (or doesn't appear to be).

The only other odd thing that happened during the power outage is that a whole stack of users on the same box came in on the Monday morning to find that their printing preferences were trashed and they had to reselect their printers via Chooser again (still using OS9 client machines).

Help!
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Jager
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2002, 06:53 PM

hrm, all I can sugest it replace the system with a back up, if you made one.... if not then run the software install, after backing up all the users and all that good stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules