Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > MySQL install problem

MySQL install problem
sfederman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2003, 03:45 AM

Hi. I've installed MySQL (on a Titanium G4 running OSX 10.2.3), but unfortunately, I cannot start it. Here's some info for those who may be able to help...

I've used the package from http://www.aaronfaby.com/, and I was able to initialize the database as directed. However, when I try to start the MySQL server, it shuts down immediately. Here's the error I get:
Code:
030203 01:52:41 mysqld started 030203 1:52:41 Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission denied 030203 1:52:41 Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket: /tmp/mysql.sock ? 030203 1:52:41 Aborting 030203 1:52:41 /Library/MySQL/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete 030203 01:52:41 mysqld ended
Now, here's what I've attempted to do to try & get it working:
  1. Checked to see if there is already a file entitled /tmp/mysql.sock - There is not.
  2. ps -aux | grep mysql - There is no other mysql running.
  3. Removed all mysql files & reinstalled - Did not help.
  4. I could find some information online regarding this error, but nothing that helped me solve it. Finally, I tried to...
  5. Run around in circles & pull out hair. - Also had no apparent effect.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thanks in advance!
Scot

Carp
Feb 3, 2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by sfederman:
Hi. I've installed MySQL (on a Titanium G4 running OSX 10.2.3), but unfortunately, I cannot start it. Here's some info for those who may be able to help...

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them!

Thanks in advance!
Scot
I'm not sure, but try to login as root and start it then. Also you can also try to su or sudo.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Feb 3, 2003, 08:03 AM

try this one. it's explained well, and you shouldn't have any problems. maybe even Marc's directions alone will help you rescue what you already have installed? see how it goes
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

sfederman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 01:18 AM

Thanks for your help, unfortunately, no luck with any of the suggestions. I actually neglected to mention that I did try Marc Liyanage's package (as well as Fink's), and all had the same resulting error message I mentioned earlier. On Marc's web site, he doesn't tell how to solve this problem-at least in my case. It states that the .err file will give the exact reason why MySQL refuses to start (the reason is the code block in my original message), but unfortunately, no mention on how to fix it...

I tried doing the installation (well, the command line parts, anyway) running as root, again, the same problem...

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2003, 10:39 AM

I had this EXACT same problem, and I could never get it fixed. I have done complete formats of the drive and did nothing else but install jaguar and mysql and it still doesn't work. I'm curious to see if anyone can help you.

khufuu
Feb 6, 2003, 11:05 AM

Try going to mysql.com and running a search there. there are a few posts about permissions on the /tmp file system and/or how to move the sock file to another location for safe keeping.

good luck

redJag
Senior User
Feb 6, 2003, 05:06 PM

fire up terminal and type

cd /tmp

now type ls -l and see if mysql.sock is owned by mysql. if not, you need to change that.

sfederman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2003, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the help, all. Unfortunately, I'm no closer to getting it working. I've looked at mysql.com, but I'm guessing that the real problem is not the mysql.sock file, (which doesn't exist until mysql is started, since i can't start, it isn't created...), but instead may be something else. I'm still trying to figure it out...

RedStar... there is a forum on Aaaron's web site that also deals with this problem, unfortunately it is little help to me, but take a
look. It appears that one thing that can cause this problem is an old version of mysql lying around interfering with the current copy....

sfederman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 01:24 AM

Alright, I finally solved it... It did turn out to be a permissions issue within the /tmp directory (Thanks khufuu!). Once that was fixed, it started up correctly...

Forum Links
Forum Rules