Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how do i use an external monitor correctly without the pbook falling asleep?

how do i use an external monitor correctly without the pbook falling asleep?
Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 12:46 PM

what is the proper way to use only an external monitor? i am having trouble closing my pbook and keeping it awake so i can view it on external monitor. sometimes it works, sometimes it just sleep's the powerbook. maybe i need to hit the manual but after a all nighter to finish an essay, i'm not thinking straight. basically, how do i set the powerbook so that when it is connected to an external monitor, i can close the lid and the pbook wont sleep on me? thanks a bunch

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2004, 01:23 PM

I just got my PowerBook yesterday, and still waiting on the 20" display (due in Aug). But I think the PowerBook is always going to sleep, even if connnected to an external display.

You have to wake it up again by the keyboard/mouse to get it up and running again. I might be wrong though, but that's what I got from reading other posts, etc.

-Jake
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2004, 01:32 PM

Connect your external display, keyboard, and mouse. Close the PB and then wake the computer by pressing a key or moving the mouse. Open up system preferences, and adjust your power settings to keep your system from going to sleep.

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 04:28 PM

no dice. while i have a usb mouse (two actually) i dont have a usb keyboard. the one i have on my gaming pc is not usb, it is a ps/2 keyboard. i dont plan on buying a b/t or wireless or even corded laptop, as i feel i dont have the space nor the extra cash to do so. i was able to use my laptop once with the pbook lcd turned off and only the xternal monitor on .. even when i typed on the keyboard, the lcd stayed off. now .. it will sleep whenever i close the lid, and the only way to type in password is the laptop keyboard. hrmm .. there's gotta be a way .. i did it accidentally...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Alec006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 05:23 PM

i actually figured this out on accident...but if you uplug your external monitor, then close the powerbook, and let it fall asleep, then plug the monitor back in it should automaticly wake up, and start using the external monitor as your primary screen...i don't have an external keyboard only a usb mouse, so it should work...hope that helps

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2004, 05:27 PM

mispost
( Last edited by urrl78; Jul 9, 2004 at 05:33 PM. )

VertigoBob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 05:36 PM

go into your system preferences, then the energy saver option - you can tell the powerbook to never go to sleep, if you wish, its pretty nifty all the settings you can tool around with

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by VertigoBob:
go into your system preferences, then the energy saver option - you can tell the powerbook to never go to sleep, if you wish, its pretty nifty all the settings you can tool around with
Yes... changing the power settings in system preferences should work for you. Just move the slider so that your PB never goes to sleep.

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 06:34 PM

darn it ... guess i'll have to invest in a keyboard. i bring my laptop out all the time (12) and got it for portability. i have it in sleep mode often times when i bring it out. i would hate to have to shut down or go into power settings all the time to allow it to sleep. too bad there is no setting to let it run off external monitor when it's plugged in ... bleh ... wierd though .. i swear i had my laptop lcd off and running off external earlier .. even hitting brightness didnt do anything .. the lcd was off ...

VertigoBob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 06:48 PM

dude just go into the power settings - when you make a custom power setting, you can make it different for when the laptop is plugged into an outlet (which I assume it would be, when you're using the external screen) as to when its running off batteries; ie set the sleep time very high or disable it for when its on a power outlet, but for the battery leave the sleep time where it was before - OSX is quite versatile in its user settings

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2004, 07:03 PM

Maybe you should read the the Help topics built into OSX in regards to custom power settings. The help file will walk you through what you need to know.

Lancer409  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2004, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by VertigoBob:
dude just go into the power settings - when you make a custom power setting, you can make it different for when the laptop is plugged into an outlet (which I assume it would be, when you're using the external screen) as to when its running off batteries; ie set the sleep time very high or disable it for when its on a power outlet, but for the battery leave the sleep time where it was before - OSX is quite versatile in its user settings
thanks, didnt trip off of that (realized i can still sleep the machine in the apple menu (never used it in menu always lidclose. maybe i will do that. i dont wan it running 24/7, and often times i sleep it at night. i guess i can get myself to sleep it on the apple menu .. just hope i dont forget =P

Forum Links
Forum Rules