Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTrip....Steve Jobs....the .Mac $20 Coupon

iTrip....Steve Jobs....the .Mac $20 Coupon
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 02:22 AM

So ya'll are never going to believe me buuuut...Here's the story:

So I got that $20.00 off anything more than $20.00 in the Apple Store coupon for renewing my .mac membership.

So I call up Apple and try to use the coupon to buy an iTrip because it wasn't working on the Apple Store Website. The telephone employee told me that I couldn't use the coupon because the coupon was only for "$20.00 off of anything over $20.00 that included all macs, ipods, isights, digital cameras, and digital camcorders" Not other 3rd party accessories. I thought that was really crappy because it didn't say that stipulation when I requested the coupon for renewing my .mac account.

So I wrote the following to [email protected]:

Dear Apple,

I recently received a coupon from you for renewing my .Mac account for the value of $20.00. I planned on using it tonight to buy a christmas present from the Apple Store for a family member of mine. But to my chagrin, the coupon didn't work at the online apple store. So I called the Apple Telephone Store (1-800-My-Apple) and talked with a customer service representative and told him my problem. He put in my order and then told me that the coupon wouldn't work because I was buying a third-party product. I then read him the print under the coupon's wording "You can use this great savings of $20 off any order of more than $20 on Mac hardware and software, as well as the iPod, digital cameras, DV camcorders, photo printers, and, of course, the new iSight camera." Then he told me that it wasn't a third party product that wasn't a digital camera, dv camcorder, or photo printer.
I feel I was really misled in this when choosing the $20.00 coupon when electing to renew my .mac account. Even the wording on the actual coupon in the e-mail says "$20.00 off your next order of more than $20.00, expires December 15th, 2003". I would like to use this coupon to purchase from the Apple Store as I intended and I would hope that you would honor this request.

Sincerely,

[my name]

So then next morning at 8:45 AM PST (Tuesday) , I get a phone call from some woman named Angela who said she received an e-mail from Steve Jobs's office with the instructions to give me $20.00 on my order. So she placed my order and asked me what it was for and I said it was a Christmas present and then she told me that delivery would take 2-4 weeks and it might not get here in time. I told her I would take my chances (I've never had a problem with Apple Store shipping before).

So yesterday was Friday and fedex came and dropped off a package. It was the iTrip. Inside was an Apple Invoice on it listed what was ordered and then below it it said "Steve Jobs Escalation Issue".

How cool is that?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 02:45 AM

Nicely done. Apple's pretty good that way - if you make the effort that is.
When I was struggling with defective iBooks I contacted the head of Apple Canada. The woman, after I pleaded my case for maybe two minutes, said "it sounds like we've done you wrong here..." and made it QUITE easy for me to upgrade to a 17" Powerbook (which unfortunately went to my dad, as he was paying for the computers, and I got his 15".)
So yeah, the trick is to talk to someone with power in person. It's surprisingly easy from there.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2003, 03:17 AM

It's not really charity... Apple didn't specify it in the first place, so it was false advertising. I had a similar problem when i ordered QuickTime pro with mine... I did get the refund, at least. Hooray.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
Apple Invoice on it listed what was ordered and then below it it said "Steve Jobs Escalation Issue".
SHOW US!!!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 10:15 AM

PIX, I WANT PIX..
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2003, 02:23 PM

Wow. If it's true, Steve Jobs =

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by andretan:
Wow. If it's true, Steve Jobs =

Agreed.

But pics. We know you have a digital camera. Pics, man, pics.

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 05:56 PM

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2003, 05:59 PM

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
Not other 3rd party accessories.
That's not true. I just got my Belkin firewire hub from the Apple store and it let me use my .Mac coupon.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

PAC-Rat
Dec 7, 2003, 06:52 PM

Damn. That's cool.
400MHz PM G4 (Yikes!)
700MHz iBook G3 (16 VRAM)

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
That's not true. I just got my Belkin firewire hub from the Apple store and it let me use my .Mac coupon.
Whether its true or not, I couldn't use my $20 coupon at the Apple Store, I kept getting an error upon checkout. And when I called the Telephone Store they told me I couldn't use it. Whether it was just a miscommunication or what, that's what happened.

alphamatrix
Senior User
Dec 7, 2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
Yeah, I used mine on a Belkin USB hub no problem.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2003, 07:35 PM

an autograph from SJ may be superb

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2003, 04:38 AM

I still haven't got mine

Should I complain already?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

insha
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 06:09 PM

Nice.

It just goes to show, Apple cares -- beat that M$

I used my $20 coupon on Timbuk2 bag and 256MB USB (my sister in law gave me her coupon) without any problem.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2003, 06:26 PM

Applie? Looks like they meant to put apply I think.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Applie? Looks like they meant to put apply I think.
No, it's supposed to read "Applied $20 customer sat(isfaction?) per Angela..." Funky truncating of words (are they using OS 9 there? )

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 10:05 PM

Sweet... I e-mailed jobs one time... thanked him for the 12 inch power book

Forum Links
Forum Rules