Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Game Boy Advance 2

Game Boy Advance 2
Naplander
Senior User
Mar 1, 2005, 06:17 AM

willed
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 07:06 AM

So this isn't an upgrade to the DS, but is going to be an alternative?

Seems like Nintendo have really ****ed this one up. The DS isn't even launching here for another week or so. Who'll buy one now that we know that not only the PSP is coming, but also a better Nintendo machine?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 07:23 AM

If Nintendo wanted to make the DS their future gameboy, that's cool. If they wanted to make the Advance 2 the new gameboy, that's also cool.

But to have two separate platforms, each with their own games in the portable market, that's not cool.

Naplander  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2005, 08:16 AM

The DS is meant to be the "third pillar" - a games machine that appeals to a different audience.

Think of fun mini games that you play using the stylus.

The gameboy advance 2 willbe for the more hardcore

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02...s_6119353.html

(waits for star wars dude to rattle his battle chains)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 08:22 AM

If the DS has the Palm OS software for the same price as it is now (�99 when its released next week), I'll have one, �99 for a handheld machine that combines Palm OS PDA with touch screen, DS games, GBA games and wireless networking seems a pretty sweet deal to me! (Quick question - is the DS wireless the same as the standard wireless 802.11b or g, or is it a special DS to DS wireless link only?)

As for Gameboy 2, word is on that article that it well basically be a Gamecube Portable - 3D graphics, big screen, analogue control. If they put a DS game slot (or what the hell, put a GBA cart slot on there too!) they'll cover the bases pretty well.

Edit: I think I can put my hand up here as part of the DS audience - I currently have an NGage QD phone, because I wanted a phone that could do the job my Palm Tungsten used to (I just used it for basic address book and memo stuff in the end, so Symbian S60 does the job for me) and also play games on it, not serious 3d hardcore games, I have a PS2 for that.

The DS/Palm would do a similar job, but as a PDA/game machine instead of a phone/game machine.
( Last edited by ajprice; Mar 1, 2005 at 08:29 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Naplander  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2005, 08:27 AM

DS games couldn't work on it because they require two screens and one of them needs to be touch sensitive. IMO, I think backwards compatibility should be scrapped on the GBA2.

It would add too much bulk.

Still think it makes sense to add PDA functionality to the DS. I mean, why not?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by PurpleGiant:
If Nintendo wanted to make the DS their future gameboy, that's cool. If they wanted to make the Advance 2 the new gameboy, that's also cool.

But to have two separate platforms, each with their own games in the portable market, that's not cool.
This is a totally bizarre strategy that will alienate a significant portion of Nintendo's fan base and developer base, at a critical juncture in Nintendo history. The DS is a great machine, and it should be Nintendo's portable platform for this hardware generation. Companies will never support two Nintendo platforms at the same time. Nintendo did promise to continue the GameBoy line, so at least the company is living up to its promises. But selling two incompatible platforms in the same consumer space at the same time is simply untenable.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2005, 10:14 AM

Looking around, there seem to be 2 different ideas/rumours about how advanced the next GameBoy will be.

1. A small update of the GBA SP for $99, with the SP being reduced to $49. It would be the same kind of step up as it was from GB Color to GBA, nothing jaw dropping in other words.

2. A handheld GameCube, to rival the PSP, with a large screen, Gamecube quality graphics, analogue control and connectivity to the Revolution next gen console.

Either of these would be good, 1 slotting under the DS in price, 2 going above the DS.

Either way, it would be good to keep the SP on for a while as a $49 system.

1. GBA SP - $49 GBA 2 - �99 DS - $149
2. DS - �149 GBA 2 - $250+ (?)

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 02:11 PM

I don't believe it. And if they did it would that I was right about the reason behind the Nintendo DiStraction.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 02:15 PM

"Fret not. I seriously doubt that Nintendo has any plans to launch the true successor to Game Boy this year. Yes, rumors circulated that it might show the device at the forthcoming Electronics Entertainment Expo, but all of them have been based purely on hope and not fact.

The latest bit is from CNN -- and I call it a bit because this isn't news, but conjecture. It stems from an analyst report that suggested Nintendo could launch its new Game Boy as early as this holiday. The same report indicated that the new handheld, which is sure to be significantly more powerful than either GBA or DS, will magically launch below the current price point of the latter. The report also said that while GBA would see a further price drop, the cost of the DS should remain the same. Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Forget that Nintendo just launched DS and has barely given the portable a chance to exist. Forget that launching a new system already would seriously confuse and probably piss off the fanbase. We're to believe that the successor to Game Boy is going to debut later this year to compete technologically with PSP and somehow ship with a cheaper price than DS? Is this a new Nintendo strategy to kill DS? Of course, some people will undoubtedly say, "Well, these are two different product lines and you can't really compare them. Remember, third pillar, and everything?" And to this, I say, I just don't buy it. You can't sell a technically inferior product for a higher price. It just doesn't work that way.

I've no doubt that the successor to Game Boy is deep in development. I also believe that if Nintendo wanted to it could show the device at E3 this May. It might even be able to ship it before the end of the year. But even if that's true, I don't believe a single word from this analyst or from the CNN report. The information is too illogical and too inconsistent."

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/592/592145p1.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 02:20 PM

Nintendo's always said that the next-gen Game Boy was on the way. It's gonna be interesting to see what they do, and see if the DS doesn't turn into another friggin' Virtual Boy. The DS is starving for some new games, more often. At least MP: Hunters is around the corner. Some RPGs and that next Castlevania would be nice.

I think Nintendo can pull off this "third pillar" idea they've been going on about if they do it right. But they've got to do it right.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
At least MP: Hunters is around the corner. Some RPGs and that next Castlevania would be nice.
All the wanted games are not coming till august which isn't really that close. By then the PSP will have many more killer titles.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ink
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 03:10 PM

I just hope this new generation of handhelds doesn't kill off the side scrollers. They almost entirely stopped making new ones for the console systems with the N64/PSX generation. The gameboy has been the only saving grace for classic (and new!) platformers, but this next generation looks like it's going to be PSX/N64-flashback time. That's fine, but keep the top-down and side-scrollers coming along too.

sideus
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by ink:
I just hope this new generation of handhelds doesn't kill off the side scrollers. They almost entirely stopped making new ones for the console systems with the N64/PSX generation. The gameboy has been the only saving grace for classic (and new!) platformers, but this next generation looks like it's going to be PSX/N64-flashback time. That's fine, but keep the top-down and side-scrollers coming along too.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by PurpleGiant:

i agree. this strategy is not good. consumers will be scared away..... not good Nintendo.

I have to admit that the Gamecube-to-go idea is brilliant. the media is small enough....holds about the same amount of data as the UMDs on the PSP. and the library is already there...not to mention. developer's have been developing for it for a few years. they wont need to learn something new.... they already have the development kits. Nintendo will sell a heck of a lot of the hardware. And yeah, the NDS can take the lowend with all the GBA games and the NDS games..... that way Nintendo will cover the lowend and highend market of handhelds.

Also, if Developers have to develop for the next GB (GC2GO), they have both a handheld market and a home console market as the platform....which means a huge fanbase. good things coming this E3 for sure.

But it's wishful thinking. i have an inkling that Nintendo will screw it up, and introduce something totally new, thats backwards compatible with nothing. but if they do release a GC2GO, it'll do them a world of good.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 1, 2005 at 11:52 PM. )

Cubeoid
Baninated
Mar 1, 2005, 11:59 PM

Doesn't anybody else think it is finally time for the "Game Man" ?

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 12:04 AM

Three tiers? Thats crazy. Crazy like a fox! Think iPod.

I think this would have done them a world of good had the DS been held back and worked on more. I think the GBA will be exactly what it is: the most powerful handheld in its class. I don't think its going to be a GC to go. That'd just be stupid and redundant. Nintendo wants the DS to be something different but unfortunately it was rushed so it seemed just to be a chunky GBA.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
[I have to admit that the Gamecube-to-go idea is brilliant. the media is small enough....holds about the same amount of data as the UMDs on the PSP. and the library is already there...not to mention. developer's have been developing for it for a few years. [/B]
What titles and developers do you speak of? You counting all 6 games? The cube is the console with the least games and support on the market. Even more so than the N64.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
What titles and developers do you speak of? You counting all 6 games? The cube is the console with the least games and support on the market. Even more so than the N64.
I believe he means gamecube power, not games. He was also 100% wrong.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 01:42 AM

Odd... I own more than 6 games for my GameCube.

sideus
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2005, 01:54 AM

Visiting my local EBGames the Xbox game shelf is a quarter the size of the PS2 and GameCube game racks. YMMV.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Jim Paradise:
Odd... I own more than 6 games for my GameCube.
Sorry sorry......7

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 03:15 AM

Actually, i think the PSP is the console with the fewest games on the market.

(just to quell ur urge to say that NDS has the smallest library...it does have GBA games as well )

PS>> if you want to present an argment , do so by presenting facts...not immaginary wishful numbers you pull out of ur arse.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 2, 2005 at 03:22 AM. )

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 08:18 AM

I call bullshit.

First, this "news" is coming from SPOnG, which makes The Register look like The Times of London. (Read: SPOnG is not credible.)

Second, while Nintendo initally said the DS was not the Game Boy Advance successor nor the PSP's competitor and still officially claims the former, it's backed away from those statements. Would there be any need for lowering the price of the SP and making the DS compatible with Game Boy Advance games if the DS were really the "third tier"?

Third, even if the DS turns out not to be the Game Boy Advance successor, this year is too soon for a new Game Boy. Nintendo needs time to establish the DS and the GameCube successor will be announced at this year's E3. Nintendo learned its lesson about releasing both a portable and a console within a short period of time in 2001.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 10:16 AM

The inevitable has happened, DS in colours, from March 24th (black, white) and April 21st (pink, blue). These are just for Japan so far, but y'know, they're coming!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2005, 01:22 PM

I think if Palm OS will run on a DS I'll be buying one

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I think if Palm OS will run on a DS I'll be buying one
It won't. It's faster and less expensive for Nintendo to make its own PDA software than to license PalmSource's.

Not to mention it would make it easy for developers to make DS games without paying Nintendo licensing fees and for development tools.

People, SPoNG is about as credible as Mac OS Rumors.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2005, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
It won't. It's faster and less expensive for Nintendo to make its own PDA software than to license PalmSource's.

Not to mention it would make it easy for developers to make DS games without paying Nintendo licensing fees and for development tools.

People, SPoNG is about as credible as Mac OS Rumors.
Except Nintendo is already on the official list of licensees...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
Except Nintendo is already on the official list of licensees...
Nope.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2005, 05:16 AM

I think it would more likely that Nintendo 'upgrades' he DS, to make it, lighter/smaller, etc....and then officially say that the NDS2 is the GBA's successor. they might even increase it's power, who knows. but i think it would be more likely that the GBA and DS converge, into a smaller, sleaker device...GBA2

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:

(just to quell ur urge to say that NDS has the smallest library...it does have GBA games as well )
Ya that is exactly why everyone is buying the DS. To play the games crippled and only on one of the 2 screens on the DS.

Uh huh.

The DS has the least titles for it. The PSP already has more and it isn't even out yet. Not to mention the DS has ZERO online games and the PSP 5.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Forum Links
Forum Rules