Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dock bug: hidden dock comes up half

Dock bug: hidden dock comes up half
Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2003, 07:08 AM

This bug occurs since I own a mac, that is from Jaguar until Panther. It's never fixed and comes up once in a while, cannot reproduce it however. I don't know why and when it happens, but it does happen. Symptoms:

I've got my dock hidden. Sometimes when I'm hovering around the dock, move my mouse out of it (so it hides) and try to let it come up again by moving my mouse down (dock is positioned down) the dock icons come up half. As long as my mouse stays on the dock, this stays so. It magnifies and everything, but you only see the top of the icons, the rest is hidden 'beneath' the bottom of the screen...

Screenshot:

This is a screenshot from the bottom of the screen!
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

curmi
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 08:01 AM

Yeah. This bug has been there since 10.0.

It has been reported to Apple before, but never fixed. The dock has hardly changed since 10.0 really - odd considering the other major changes in the OS with each new release.

dagaz
Nov 22, 2003, 08:08 AM

Yeah its quirky but its no big deal. You just have to let the dock become hidden once or twice and then it goes back to normal behaviour. I'm pretty sure I mainly notice it when there's a lot going on.
Not compatible with Windows

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2003, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by dagaz:
I'm pretty sure I mainly notice it when there's a lot going on.
Not in my case, it also happens when almost nothing is running...

It is not a big deal, but I'm quite surprised this bug has been there for so long...

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2003, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by curmi:
The dock has hardly changed since 10.0 really - odd considering the other major changes in the OS with each new release.
10.3:

� Expos�
� New command-tab application switcher
� Support for closing minimized windows

10.2:

� Application badge on minimized windows
� New clear Dock background

10.1:

� Custom Dock menus
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

curmi
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
10.3:

� Expos�
� New command-tab application switcher
� Support for closing minimized windows

10.2:

� Application badge on minimized windows
� New clear Dock background

10.1:

� Custom Dock menus
Exactly. Not exactly major changes to the dock are they.

I don't see how you can count Expos� as a dock change.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2003, 08:36 AM

Exactly. Not exactly major changes to the dock are they.
The change of the background is cosmetic, I give you that. All the other changes I listed are huge usability improvements.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

curmi
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 08:39 AM

The change of the background is cosmetic, I give you that. All the other changes I listed are huge usability improvements.
Yes, but not to the Dock.

Expos� is a new feature, but replaces some uses of the dock. It doesn't add to the dock.

New command-tab takes away from the dock (in a good way). Not a change to the dock really.

The others are just menu additions pretty much.

Overall the dock has hardly changed. Grouping remains poor. No additonal separators. Still a moving target if magnified.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2003, 08:45 AM

Expos� and the command-tab app switcher are both features of the Dock. They are just not limited to the strip at the bottom of the screen. That is the improvement.

Magnification is just a cool Quartz demo. Nobody has that turned on.

So, I count at least 5 major improvements of the Dock since 10.0. Just because your favourite one isn't amongst them doesn't mean it hardly changed.

curmi
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 08:49 AM

Expos� and the command-tab app switcher are both features of the Dock. They are just not limited to the strip at the bottom of the screen. That is the improvement.

Magnification is just a cool Quartz demo. Nobody has that turned on.
They are NOT features of the dock! They are two new features of the OS. In no way connected to the dock.

And your last comment is ridiculous. Suddenly you know how everyone uses their Mac?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2003, 08:51 AM

They are NOT features of the dock! They are two new features of the OS. In no way connected to the dock.

curmi
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 08:54 AM

What do you want from me? The dock is the thing at the bottom. Expos� is something else. Even if it is controlled by the process that controls the dock, it is not the dock. The dock IS the thing at the bottom - and it has hardly changed.

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2003, 09:16 AM

*sigh*

please close this thread to prevent these guys from nitpicking on silly subjects...

Forum Links
Forum Rules