Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Creating screenshots directly in jpeg: possible in Panther?

Creating screenshots directly in jpeg: possible in Panther?
Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 02:42 PM

Is it possbile to change the screenshot-format in Panther from pdf to jpeg?

this hint doesn't work

Oh, and don't recommend Snapz shot pro. I know it's worth it, but I won't use it that often to pay money for it
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Ilja:
Is it possbile to change the screenshot-format in Panther from pdf to jpeg?

this hint doesn't work

Oh, and don't recommend Snapz shot pro. I know it's worth it, but I won't use it that often to pay money for it
That has not worked since 10.1. Jaguar never supported changing the default format either.

If you want it, PM me and I'll send you a little drag-n-drop PDF->JPEG converter I wrote.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 04:18 PM

Actually, how about this question�

Can I change screen caps' default app to Preview?

I don't want them opening in Acrobat by default, but I don't want all PDFs changed to Preview.

Moose
Senior User
Nov 16, 2003, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Jim_MDP:

I don't want them opening in Acrobat by default, but I don't want all PDFs changed to Preview.
No.

Sal
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2003, 04:48 PM

Although you may not be able change the format of the screen capture files, you can use the new Image Events architecture in Mac OS X 10.3 to convert the pdf file to jpeg with the following droplet script. ENter this text in a new Script Editor window and save it as an application. You can then drag the screen capture files on it to convert them to JPEG images.

Code:
-- the list of file types which will be processed -- eg: {"PICT", "JPEG", "TIFF", "GIFf"} property type_list : {"PDF "} -- since file types are optional in Mac OS X, -- check the name extension if there is no file type -- NOTE: do not use periods (.) with the items in the name extensions list -- eg: {"txt", "text", "jpg", "jpeg"}, NOT: {".txt", ".text", ".jpg", ".jpeg"} property extension_list : {"pdf"} -- This droplet processes files dropped onto the applet on open these_items repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_items set this_item to item i of these_items set the item_info to info for this_item if (folder of the item_info is false) and � (alias of the item_info is false) and � ((the file type of the item_info is in the type_list) or � the name extension of the item_info is in the extension_list) then process_item(this_item) end if end repeat end open -- this sub-routine processes files on process_item(this_item) -- NOTE that the variable this_item is a file reference in alias format -- FILE PROCESSING STATEMENTS GOES HERE try tell application "Image Events" launch -- get the parent folder of the image file set the parent_folder to the container of this_item -- derive new name for the new image file set the new_name to my add_extension(this_item, "jpg") -- look for an existing file if (exists file new_name of the parent_folder) then error "A file named \"" & new_name & "\" already exists." end if -- open the image file set this_image to open this_item -- save in new file. The result is a file ref to the new file set the new_image to save this_image � as JPEG in file new_name of the parent_folder with icon -- purge the open image data close this_image end tell tell application "Finder" -- delete the original file delete this_item end tell on error error_message display dialog error_message end try end process_item on add_extension(this_file, new_extension) set this_info to the info for this_file set this_name to the name of this_info set this_extension to the name extension of this_info if this_extension is missing value then set the default_name to this_name else set the default_name to � text 1 thru -((length of this_extension) + 2) of this_name end if return (the default_name & "." & the new_extension) end add_extension
For more information about Image Events, visit:

http://www.apple.com/applescript/imageevents/

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2003, 04:53 PM

Yes. Click on a pdf file and choose get info. Then choose Open With and set it to Preview. Then, every new pdf will be a default preview file.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 05:00 PM

What's the advantage of saving them in pdf format btw? It doesn't make sense to me
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

DanielPritchard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2003, 05:04 PM

Dude, Are you running Panther? If so:

if you haven't viewed PDF files in Preview since OS 10.2, then you need to start. It's way faster than it used to be, and way faster than Acrobat too (especially to start the app up). And it actually gets that these files are text files and not a big 8.5x11 image like 10.2 Preview used to. Myself, I'll probably delete Acrobat if it sits around being useless a couple weeks more.

If not:

I feel your pain. Yeah, it would be cool. I think you should probably spring for Panther. It looks like you can easily grab a copy for ~$75 on eBay (or straight from Apple for $69 if you're a student). It's worth the upgrade.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2003, 06:28 PM

there's a great little freebie called kunvert, get it at versiontracker.

when i take a screenshot, i drag the file onto the kuvert icon, & voila! jpeg.

u can set it to close the app & delete the orig file as well.

nice!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 07:46 PM

I recently found THIS app to take screen shots. Efficient and easy. Lets you choose between jpeg, tiff or png formats and also set the quality of the image.

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
Yes. Click on a pdf file and choose get info. Then choose Open With and set it to Preview. Then, every new pdf will be a default preview file.
Reading skills are handy� fun too. Keep practicing.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Nov 16, 2003, 09:41 PM

I tend to capture to the clipboard, switch to PhotoShop/ImageReady, and then paste & save as a JPEG.

posthumous
Nov 17, 2003, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
I recently found THIS app to take screen shots. Efficient and easy. Lets you choose between jpeg, tiff or png formats and also set the quality of the image.
Holy bloody mary!!! SnapNDrag is the bomb! Thanks for the suggestion.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 03:26 AM

This SnapNDrag is really very slick and very easy to use.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2003, 11:13 AM

Reading skills are handy� fun too. Keep practicing.

Yea, I think you need to keep practicing as the question I anwsered was 'Can I change screen caps' default app to Preview?' and my answer is accurate and absolutely relevant. I did not answer your second question as it was it was a direct contradiction to the original question. You can change the default app to Preview, but once you do, because it's now the default app, it will always open every file in Preview.

Reading is fun, tho it seems you are not having a good time
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

zoe77
Jan 11, 2004, 01:16 PM

you can use SnapClip or QuickImageCM...

http://www.pixture.com/macosx.php

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
there's a great little freebie called kunvert, get it at versiontracker.

when i take a screenshot, i drag the file onto the kuvert icon, & voila! jpeg.

u can set it to close the app & delete the orig file as well.

nice!
That's what I use, can't live without it...

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 01:54 AM

What's the advantage of saving them in pdf format btw? It doesn't make sense to me
dual monitor setups are handled cleanly with pdf -- a two (or however many) page pdf is created, one page per screen.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 03:58 AM

JPEG is lossy. Instead of deciding that everyone must love lossy formats, they decided to give you the option. Be thankful.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 11:32 AM

PDF is the native graphics format of OS X, so it makes sense to save graphics in that format, from which you can convert to something else if you want it.

Otherwise, you can always just capture to the clipboard and paste it wherever you want.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2004, 12:47 PM

If you're looking for a great "converter" app for PDF to .jpg, you gotta try ImageWell! The app (which lives in your menu bar) not only converts to .jpg, but also allows you to make minor edits to the image, add comments, crop, scale and upload to FTP, webDAV and .Mac accounts (as well as copy the URL of the image to your clipboard for easy pasting in forums). And it's FREE!

IamBob
Senior User
Jan 12, 2004, 12:54 PM

What would be nice is a Folder Action...

Whenever a file is added to the desktop it would check to see if it was a "Picture x.pdf" and convert it to your predefined format.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by IamBob:
What would be nice is a Folder Action...

Whenever a file is added to the desktop it would check to see if it was a "Picture x.pdf" and convert it to your predefined format.
OSX already comes with an Applescript that you can assign to a folder (Folder Action) to do that very thing - take a look around your hard drive for the script (I can't remember what folder it's located in).

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Thanks for the pointer; that's a cool little app.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 04:28 PM

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 04:32 PM

How are you guys capturing directly to the clip boad? Is it some variation of Shift + Option + a number key?

Richyfp
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2004, 04:55 PM

MacDog is totally oon the ball there - turn on Folder actions and assign the script "Applications/Applescript/Example Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/Image - Duplicate as JPEG.scpt" to the Desktop by choosing "Configure Folder Actions..." from the contextual menu or using the Folder Actions Setup utility. Now when you take a screenshot, it will appear on the desktop as both a PDF and a JPEG.

A simple, Apple included solution (I'm surprised Sal didn't mention this method!!)
PM G4 DP 500 MHz, 768 Mb, DVD-ROM, 85 Gb, Mac OS X 10.3.9
PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 Mb, DVD-R, 80 Gb, Mac OS X 10.4

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
How are you guys capturing directly to the clip boad? Is it some variation of Shift + Option + a number key?
Capture Screen to Clipboard

Control + Command + Shift + 3

Capture Selection to Clipboard

Control + Command + Shift + 4 then Space

Or you can go to the Keyboard Shortcuts system preference and modify the keystroke to be whatever you want. I set mine to be F7 and F8 respectively.

OAW

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
Capture Screen to Clipboard

Control + Command + Shift + 3

Capture Selection to Clipboard

Control + Command + Shift + 4 then Space

Or you can go to the Keyboard Shortcuts system preference and modify the keystroke to be whatever you want. I set mine to be F7 and F8 respectively.

OAW
Cool! Thanks

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 10:18 PM

Yeah. It's the normal screen capture key, but hold down control also and it goes to the clipboard rather than a file.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules