Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > new displays, as promised

new displays, as promised
Zoom
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:07 PM

Apple released the new displays today, as rumored. They're beautiful... but still too expensive. Let's get the comments going.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:10 PM

I really want a 20" display, but I just can't stomach $1300. I wonder how much the odd aspect ratio is driving that price up? I mean, my buddy got a cheap 19" LCD for under $400. Good 19" LCDs are in the $600-700 range. Adding 1" and stretching the width doubles the price?? That's too much.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 03:12 PM

I'll wait until tomorrow to see how much the old display line is lowered in price at the local resellers. If not that much, then one of these alu-displays will sit before my eyes in a few weeks!
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 03:35 PM

expensive?...
Well, considering the technology, I started to work on 21" tubes, they costed a legg at this time... now, a 20" looks great and extremely affordable to me!
For pro use, I would go for 2 20" actually... I will start with one! no, I will start with a G5 first!.. but not before christmass...

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:56 PM

I want one, but it's going to have to wait, unless I get a bonus or something. I can't pay $1300. Jesus, that's more than an iMac or an iBook. I'll probably end up buying a non-Apple 19" LCD display, probably with a standard aspect ratio for half the cost (Sony , ViewSonic 20" ,
ViewSonic 19", etc).

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 06:32 PM

Finally, 16ms pixel response time. FireWire ports are nice.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 07:08 PM

it's worse than I thought... displays starting at $1299?? The most inexpensive non-iMac desktop system is $3299?????? In a world where the average PC is priced at about $700, maybe $1100 with the monitor?

I do believe that Apple are worth a premium, but this is crazy!!

kcourt
Jun 28, 2004, 07:16 PM

MacConnection just lowered the price of their old 20" to $1,195.

Kathy

t500
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 07:40 PM

I've just started to look at the 20 inch display so the New Firewire and USB 2 ports are nice..

But really, Does a wide screen really provide that much more screen space than a normal 20 inch LCD? I was under the impression that if you went with a wide screen you scrafice screen hight. Is this the case???

The only Apple reseller in my area is a comp-usa and they will not do a side by side view for me ( Apple vs Whatever prand 20inch). The picture on the Apple did see to be much cleaner and brighter than any other monitor. Is it just me being a mac guy??

Dimitri
Jun 28, 2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by t500:
I've just started to look at the 20 inch display so the New Firewire and USB 2 ports are nice..

But really, Does a wide screen really provide that much more screen space than a normal 20 inch LCD? I was under the impression that if you went with a wide screen you scrafice screen hight. Is this the case???

The only Apple reseller in my area is a comp-usa and they will not do a side by side view for me ( Apple vs Whatever prand 20inch). The picture on the Apple did see to be much cleaner and brighter than any other monitor. Is it just me being a mac guy??
Widescreens do sacrifice screen height. The 20" ACD only gains 80 pixels horizontally and loses 150 pixels vertically. Compared to other 20" LCDs, it's a smaller work area.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by kcourt:
MacConnection just lowered the price of their old 20" to $1,195.

Kathy
For some reason MacConnection still shows $1295 for me on the old one, even though the home page says "Price cuts."

In any case, I'll be disappointed if the old one is only cut to $1195. That's not much of a savings for a discontinued model.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 08:19 PM

Now I'm torn...!

I can get a 20" standard aspect ratio LCD (1600x1200) for $999 or for $800 more (educational price) get an oh-so-beautiful 23" Cinema HD (1920x1200).

Not sure the extra 320 pixels on the sides is worth $800, however. Seems like a lot.

I already have a 22" Cinema Display (1600x1024) and I'm thinking of replacing it because I want more vertical height (for easier Word and PDF layout).

If cost was no concern, it'd be an easy decision. Maybe I should go with the old-style 23" Cinema Display... my University sells 'em for $1500 (educational faculty price).

I feel like this: Don't know what to do.


Arael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2004, 09:33 PM

As rumored, not as promised

t500
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 09:40 PM

Since it appears the 20 inch wide or tall is a personal preference what Non Apple LCD's are people using. Lets say 19inchs or larger.

It think its kinda funny ATI just released thier High end Mac card with an ADC port just when Apple decides to drop that interface. The extra power saved by not using ADC monitor could be used to run a pump on a new liquid cool g5's.....

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by TailsToo:
it's worse than I thought... displays starting at $1299?? The most inexpensive non-iMac desktop system is $3299?????? In a world where the average PC is priced at about $700, maybe $1100 with the monitor?
Calm down and stick to the facts.

The AppleStore still has the 4:3 17" SD at $699. This is an entry-level TFT with a good price. You have the choice!
•

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 04:05 AM

I really like the new displays. The style, the DVI, and of course the huge sizes. I think the price is OK (albeit they could have given them a second DVI input in this price region), especially since they still have the 17" for $699 so people on a tight budget can stay with Apple if they want.

I think I'll buy myself a 20" to hook up to my PowerBook at home.

My only gripe (apart from the missing second input) is with the FW400. As I mentioned in another thread already, why did Apple chose FW400 connectors instead of FW800? USB2 is advertised as 480Mbps - of course in real world use it does less, but that's the number most buyers will see and believe. If Apple wants to push FW instead of USB2, why don't they switch to FW800 across the board? The numbers will give it the better publicity. And buyers get maximum flexibility since FW800 can do both 800 and 400 (with a cheap adapter). I'm wondering if Apple isn't risking USB2 to oust FW just because they're too stingy to include FW800 on all hardware sold today.

I know DV cameras and the like is all FW, but what about tomorrow, when Intel asks the camera makers why they use an "inferior" interface? What will convince them to stick with the "slower" interface when the big offers come? As history shows it's not the better product/concept that wins, it's the better advertized.
•

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jun 29, 2004, 08:41 AM

One of the sentence mentioned in Apple display page:

This DVI connection also removes all barriers to using an Apple display with a PC. If your graphics card supports DVI with DDC technology for widescreen viewing, you should be able to use these two displays with a PC.
Now, it seems Apple wants to sell those new minitors to PC users as well! Does this mean Apple had learnt from the iPod experience, and realised they can sell a lot more if it is PC compatible?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2004, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
My only gripe (apart from the missing second input) is with the FW400...
Perhaps Apple didn't want to occupy the only FW800 port on the machine and force people to move their FW800 drives to the monitor.

I think FW400 on the monitor was the right choice; no cable adapter needed to plug in an iSight and temporarily connect a camcorder or other device. Who wants to string FW800 hard drives off their monitor anyway...?


*Mhz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:
One of the sentence mentioned in Apple display page:

Now, it seems Apple wants to sell those new minitors to PC users as well! Does this mean Apple had learnt from the iPod experience, and realised they can sell a lot more if it is PC compatible?

It must be one reason to get bigger markets. I think that the main reason is to start to use standard connectors in all new mac videocards. It'll be much cheaper for them and new cards can come sooner availeble for macists if so. Modifying them from PC-versions is then just a simple rom flash.

Arael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 04:52 PM

Calm down and stick to the facts.

The AppleStore still has the 4:3 17" SD at $699. This is an entry-level TFT with a good price. You have the choice!
Well, while the new displays can justify their costs with firewire/usb/apple logo, I won't say that the $699 17in has a 'good price'. Hell, i got my Dell 19in LCD almost one year ago at $500!
(I was lucky to got it on sale, but still, a really dated 17in at $699????)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by Arael:
I won't say that the $699 17in has a 'good price'. Hell, i got my Dell 19in LCD almost one year ago at $500!
Well, then I'll call the $699 a decent price instead of 'good price'. Here's the deal:

The Dell has the same sucky resolution as the 17" SD so it's just got a lower ppi, nothing else. So, the 2" more on the Dell aren't worth zitch. The Dell is analog, the SD is digital. And the SD offers ADC for those that don't like cable clutter. Dell is a cheap company, Apple is a designer company. So, I can't really see your excitement about the price difference. And btw, if you want you can get that Dell to run on any current Mac - they all have the necessary output. Go ahead, enjoy it.
•

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 11:27 AM

Do you get a higher res desktop picture along with the 30"? The standard one won't look so good.

Arael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 04:34 PM

Well, then I'll call the $699 a decent price instead of 'good price'. Here's the deal:

The Dell has the same sucky resolution as the 17" SD so it's just got a lower ppi, nothing else. So, the 2" more on the Dell aren't worth zitch. The Dell is analog, the SD is digital. And the SD offers ADC for those that don't like cable clutter. Dell is a cheap company, Apple is a designer company. So, I can't really see your excitement about the price difference. And btw, if you want you can get that Dell to run on any current Mac - they all have the necessary output. Go ahead, enjoy it.
It's true that they have the same resoultion. But I think a 2in difference in screen size is useful to most people. I'd have to use a larger font size if i'm on a 17in.

Btw, the one i'm using has analog and digital (DVI-D) inputs.

I also like Apple much more than Dell. I just don't see that it can justify a price difference of 200/500= 40%.

Actually, I think the price of the new 23in is okay. They are also around $200 more expensive than the HP version, but since it's a new spec and look (compared to the really old 17in SD), and that 23in is expensive anyway, so the % difference is not as significant.
$200 over $500 is much more serious than $200 over $1800.

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 01:44 AM

I'm sitting here reading the forum on my 22" Cinema monitor that I bought at FULL RETAIL PRICE of $3999.

I have no problems ponying up for the 30" but IT WOULD BE *UNACCEPTABLE* IF IT CAME WITH *ANY* DEAD PIXELS.

I'm holding off on putting in an order until reports come in from those that took the plunge.

And yes, I realize how difficult it is to manufacture these things with zero flaw. But my $$ doesn't come easily either.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

fenixfire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 01:56 AM

Steve wasn't kidding when he said Apple's competitors use the displays apple rejects. I work at an electronics store and we fix all kinds of products even ones we don't sell like dell. Let me tell you, you get what u pay for. If you don't go for a quality company like LG, Sony or Apple for a display, expect it to break down completely or have pixel damage. We see more dell computer products in for repair than any other company. You couldn't even give me a dell computer. I wouldn't use it. I would maybe sell it to someone I didn't like but definitely never use it. So, just make sure wherever you buy your non-Apple/Sony/LG displays, whether it be fryes, circuit, best buy, microcenter or compuse, but their warranty you'll need it when it breaks on you. That and I don't care what you say, all the specs could be exactly the same and Apple displays still look better. We'll now see if this is because a display aspect or the quality of the screen. But I know any pc based screen we've attached to an apple doesn't hold a flame to apples displays.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jul 1, 2004, 03:14 AM

who knows , maybe dell are working for apple after all?

let's face it , their products are so bad they drive pc uers away

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 03:33 AM

If you think that the new 30" is expensive check out this 37" from Sharp (notice the price):
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Mod...,1221-,00.html

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 04:17 AM

so what is the spec difference between the new 20 inch 23 inch vs the old 20 inch and 23 inch.
Is it same resolution same specs etc other than 2 usb and 2 fw which just takes up as one since u have to plug it in the back to make them work. techniqually u only use total of 2 vs 4 i think its just a joke.
any ideas?

peter.sugarcube
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 06:51 AM

With these new displays that have the VESA kits, it opens up a world of possibilities. I can see the 30" not being used for desktops but more for display boards inside airport lounges, shops than anywher else, especially since they are now DVI and can work with PCs.

I know it's something I'll be looking into for a job I've got on!
--
peter

OsakaBill
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
If cost was no concern, it'd be an easy decision. Maybe I should go with the old-style 23" Cinema Display... my University sells 'em for $1500 (educational faculty price).
. [/B]

Your school sells the previous model 23in HD display for just $1500? How much for a 20in? If I send you money will you buy one for me?

Resistance Is Futile--Think Different

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 07:56 AM

Screw it. Life is too short.

As soon as I get a dam(n) job, a dual 2.5ghz G5 equipped with a 30" display and the new NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL video card will be ordered.

I will just lower my expectations for retirement.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Screw it. Life is too short.

As soon as I get a dam(n) job, a dual 2.5ghz G5 equipped with a 30" display and the new NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL video card will be ordered.

I will just lower my expectations for retirement.
Damn, boy. Sounds like you have too much money. Send me some! I'm a damn engineer and I can't touch that much hardware. Hell, you could almost buy a car for that much capital.

jamescat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
so what is the spec difference between the new 20 inch 23 inch vs the old 20 inch and 23 inch.
Is it same resolution same specs etc other than 2 usb and 2 fw which just takes up as one since u have to plug it in the back to make them work. techniqually u only use total of 2 vs 4 i think its just a joke.
any ideas?
No. You do NOT have to plug in one of the ports with a cable to make them work. Look at the details of the monitor again. The new cable is still carrying your USB (and adding your FW) signal. If you plug in the end of the cable (the split end that has USB and FW plugs on it!) to your Mac, then the 2 ports (of each kind, 4 total) actually on the monitor are ALL active for "downstream" connections.

-jab
--
Unemployed Webmaster
and Mac fanatic since 1984

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 01:43 PM

what do u mean.
I though to use the 4 ports in the monitor back u had to plug in 2 to to the back of ur g5 or imac ibook power book emac etc.

yank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 04:56 PM

one thing must be emphasized: APPLE DISPLAYS HAVE MUCH BETTER DISPLAY QUALITY than just about anything out there.

i work in an office with most pc people. they've all "caught up" with me by going out and getting flat panels from dell and all the rest. every time i look at my 23 CD (or the orig 22 CD before it), i am struck by how much clearer, sharper, just better it looks.

and i'm not the only one. people walk into my office, look at my screen and gasp. most people are really just not prepared for it.

also, keep in mind that consumer reports gives apple considerably higher marks for reliability than anyone else. their stuff is better made.

so when budgeting, remember it's more than style and design. look at the screen!

jamescat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2004, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
what do u mean.
I though to use the 4 ports in the monitor back u had to plug in 2 to to the back of ur g5 or imac ibook power book emac etc.
Sure. But you don't actually use up the ports on the back to do it. Apple has designed it so that the one cable coming out of the back of the new monitors actually splits into 4 separate plugs: DVI, FW, USB, and power.

You plug each one into the appropriate port on your Mac (or the display's power brick, in the last case) and then you still have 2 USB ports and 2 FW ports available on the back of the monitor.

Take a look:
http://images.apple.com/displays/ima...le06282004.jpg
taken from this page:
http://www.apple.com/displays/design.html

You do NOT need to plug a USB nor FW cable from your Mac into any of the 4 ports on the back of the monitor. That's all I'm trying to point out.

-jab
--
Unemployed Webmaster
and Mac fanatic since 1984

Forum Links
Forum Rules