Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tiger x86 running under VMWare within Linux

Tiger x86 running under VMWare within Linux
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 08:34 AM

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 08:43 AM

That's cool. I was hoping that would work.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 18, 2006, 09:13 AM

"? ? ? ? ? ?"

?

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
"? ? ? ? ? ?"

?
he probably only installed the core system.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 09:27 AM

"? ? ? ? ? ?"

?
Props to you for typing the same amount of question marks as shown in the picture. Attention to detail is key.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 12:47 PM

"? ? ? ? ? ?"
What's the second ? do ?

historylme
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Props to you for typing the same amount of question marks as shown in the picture. Attention to detail is key.
LOL

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 01:06 PM

The problem is, VMWare would have to develop VMWare Tools for OS X to allow for resolution changing and such. I'd assume that Apple wouldn't be terribly supportive of this effort, although I'm not sure there is much they could do about it.

These sorts of developments are very cool though, options are nice.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
The problem is, VMWare would have to develop VMWare Tools for OS X to allow for resolution changing and such. I'd assume that Apple wouldn't be terribly supportive of this effort, although I'm not sure there is much they could do about it.
I would expect VMWare to start selling VMWare Workstation for OS X (you can get it for Windows & Linux now). It's a very useful tool for software developers, not only for testing your software against different platforms (Win2000, WinXP, etc or Tiger, Panther, etc), but for not having to dual boot in order to run tools that run on other platforms. Companies might even start targetting OS X with their softare if their developers can buy a few copies of OS X and get it running under VMWare on their Windows boxes.

I don't think there would be much hardware sales loss for Apple - you are still going to buy the hardware that supports the OS that you use the most. Plus, more people would try OS X if they didn't have to lay out for the hardware in order to do so. We're an all Windows shop at work (a few Linux servers), but I'd have no problem getting a few copies of OS X for VMWare usage.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 01:49 PM

Old news, man. Look at the version number. That's the developer seed of Tiger x86.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

:.MacLone.:
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 02:03 PM

You can install OSX on an XBOX too but its silly. You need a lot of power in order to run osx in its own hardware so imagine it on an xbox or VMware.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by :.MacLone.:
You can install OSX on an XBOX too but its silly. You need a lot of power in order to run osx in its own hardware so imagine it on an xbox or VMware.
I have a dual core Pentium D 3.2 GHz with 3GB of RAM. If people are running OS X on their 867 MHz G4 laptop, I'm betting that I can run it well enough to test software on it. I run several versions of Windows and Linux in VMWare on a regular basis, and even run database servers in them when I'm testing software, which should stress the slowest part of VMWare - disk access. I can't imagine how OS X could be such a ridiculous resource pig as to not work reasonably well.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 03:02 PM

I'd like to see how it runs (if it even could) on our ESX server, which is a quad Opteron. The VMs run off a FC san, so the disk access speeds are pretty good. It's only got 4gb of ram, but I could shut down the other VMs and give the OS X virtual machine 100% resources.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
I would expect VMWare to start selling VMWare Workstation for OS X (you can get it for Windows & Linux now). It's a very useful tool for software developers, not only for testing your software against different platforms (Win2000, WinXP, etc or Tiger, Panther, etc), but for not having to dual boot in order to run tools that run on other platforms. Companies might even start targetting OS X with their softare if their developers can buy a few copies of OS X and get it running under VMWare on their Windows boxes.

I don't think there would be much hardware sales loss for Apple - you are still going to buy the hardware that supports the OS that you use the most. Plus, more people would try OS X if they didn't have to lay out for the hardware in order to do so. We're an all Windows shop at work (a few Linux servers), but I'd have no problem getting a few copies of OS X for VMWare usage.

Yes, but Apple does not want people booting OS X on generic PCs, and whatever VMWare does would be working around Apple's built-in circumvention (TPM, whatever). Thus, it would probably be legally shady, and Apple would likely disapprove.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 03:27 PM

Oh wait... I misread.

VMWare Workstation for OS X, yes, OS X as a guest OS... no.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 04:21 PM

Yes, but Apple does not want people booting OS X on generic PCs, and whatever VMWare does would be working around Apple's built-in circumvention (TPM, whatever). Thus, it would probably be legally shady, and Apple would likely disapprove.
I dunno. Having the ability to run things in a VM is very, very useful for developers. I shouldn't need to buy 10 machines to test 10 different versions of OS X (major versions and software patch levels), or be expected to image them or reinstall repeatedly on one machine.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 18, 2006, 04:25 PM

Does it have to run in a window like that or can it be run full screen like VPC?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 04:29 PM

I don't know how it works with OS X, but VMware does have a fullscreen mode.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I don't know how it works with OS X, but VMware does have a fullscreen mode.

Only if the VMWare Tools can be installed on the Guest OS. Check out the lower left corner of that screenshot... no tools installed, and I'd be surprised if VMWare would be allowed to legally support booting OS X on generic PC hardware.

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 04:46 PM

Only if the VMWare Tools can be installed on the Guest OS. Check out the lower left corner of that screenshot... no tools installed, and I'd be surprised if VMWare would be allowed to legally support booting OS X on generic PC hardware.
OS X runs fullscreen within VMWare just fine. Trust me, I know. Of course no resolution/Hz changing, but meh.

And it runs at an acceptable speed for emulation on a 2.53 Ghz P4.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Binarymix
OS X runs fullscreen within VMWare just fine. Trust me, I know. Of course no resolution/Hz changing, but meh.

And it runs at an acceptable speed for emulation on a 2.53 Ghz P4.

No resolution changing? Who wants to run OS X at 800 x 600, or whatever the default VMWare resolution is?

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 05:06 PM

No resolution changing? Who wants to run OS X at 800 x 600, or whatever the default VMWare resolution is?
It deafulted to my max resolution, 1024x768, only 65 Hz However, you can still run fullscreen using your current windows settings and res however.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Binarymix
It deafulted to my max resolution, 1024x768, only 65 Hz However, you can still run fullscreen using your current windows settings and res however.

Oh I see... the VMWare tools is only necessary for on-the-fly resolution switching?

The VMWare version I last used was older, so maybe I don't have my facts straight...

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 05:36 PM

Yeah, that's cool ... but not really useful. Plus, it's running on Linux. I mean ... of all things? :-|

:-)

Anyway, I know of a few kiddies who creamed their pants when they found out about the dev seed being leaked, and more than one of them is convinced that it's a viable permanent-use OS on their PCs. They're actually running it, and think they're going to get somewhere once new OS X x86 software starts coming out.

Tards.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2006, 05:42 PM

Old news. I saw this six months ago.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Old news. I saw this six months ago.
I played with it on a Thinkpad T42 back then. In a virtual machine and natively. It didn't run too bad, but it's probably improved quite a bit since.

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Yeah, that's cool ... but not really useful. Plus, it's running on Linux. I mean ... of all things? :-|

Anyway, I know of a few kiddies who creamed their pants when they found out about the dev seed being leaked, and more than one of them is convinced that it's a viable permanent-use OS on their PCs. They're actually running it, and think they're going to get somewhere once new OS X x86 software starts coming out.

Tards.
It runs under VMWare for windows too.

As for running OSX x86 on their PC's of course they'll continue doing it. All it takes are are a few patches to the Mach kernel for Non SSE3 users, and TPM patches. I highly doubt apple is going to keep screwing over the 'hackers' with every update. The TPM 'crack' should keep on working as it is now. Of course new kernel patches will be needed as nearly every update adds a new kernel version.

Like it or not, OS X on PC's is here to stay, they will always find a way to 'hack' the Install to work fine on regular PC's.

Binarymix
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 05:55 PM

Oh I see... the VMWare tools is only necessary for on-the-fly resolution switching?

The VMWare version I last used was older, so maybe I don't have my facts straight...
Last I used it, yes.

I'm just waiting for the 10.4.4 Intel build to be leaked and hacked, then I'll either install it in VMWare or natively. I am buying an iMac later this year, but it'll still be nice to have 2 PC's with the same OS Of course the iMac would kill my 2.53Ghz P4 in terms of speed and responsiveness. But I must say, when I did have an earlier intel build installed, OS X was no slow poke natively. Faster than windows I might even say.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu

Tards.

Whatever, this small percentage of people that want to run a hacked up version of OS X on their beige PCs was probably inevitable, and probably not even blip on Apple's radar (I'm not suggesting that you were implying otherwise).

Whatever solutions arise, they need to be suitable for mainstream audiences to make a splash.

I'm hoping for a big splash!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I played with it on a Thinkpad T42 back then. In a virtual machine and natively. It didn't run too bad, but it's probably improved quite a bit since.
People actually had it running in VMWare before they had it running native. VMWare provided a nice padded environment to test hacks and such.

Running native without VMWare gives you about a %25 speed gain. I use VMWare to image drives on my XP box without having to mess with older slower hardware that the drive came from. Also remember VMWare still emulates a graphics card, it doesn't use your actual one. OS X under VMWare has no Quartz Extreme and no CoreImage and no OpenGL.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
People actually had it running in VMWare before they had it running native. VMWare provided a nice padded environment to test hacks and such.

Running native without VMWare gives you about a %25 speed gain. I use VMWare to image drives on my XP box without having to mess with older slower hardware that the drive came from. Also remember VMWare still emulates a graphics card, it doesn't use your actual one. OS X under VMWare has no Quartz Extreme and no CoreImage and no OpenGL.

I thought that newer versions of VMWare don't emulate the video card?

Forum Links
Forum Rules