Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > anybody here run marathons?

anybody here run marathons?
iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2006, 04:39 PM

ok so i started 'training' for the los angeles marathon in early december. the marathon is on the 19th of march, and i have a situation. im at the point where i could run 12 miles, but while running my last leg miles 10-12 my body collapses on me, but not physically. ill notice that i start to slow down to a crawl but when i realize it i push myself to run how i was running before, but a minute later i realize im at that slow crawl again. i know im capable of running my normal pace because when i force myself to run, my body reacts and IS capable, but i have to concentrate constantly on keeping that pace instead of leisurely running like i did to get to that point. my question is what is causing this? i know theres a 'wall' that most runners have to over come, but i thought that wall was at mile 15-20. am i not hydrating myself enough (i drink hardly the amount i should be drinking on a daily basis)? should i drink gatorade instead? how often should i run from now till the day of (bout a month away), i heard too much running will kill your legs so i run for 45 min a day twice a week and run my long distance runs on the weekends, should i be doing more/less? any hints or tips? and most importantly...how do i get my nipples to stop burning? (my nipples rub up against my shirt and burn from irritation when im done running, is this normal?) any info will help from anybody who runs regularly, thanks
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 04:56 PM

You should be running 4 times per week for marathon prep. 3 MINIMUM. Sounds like you need some pace assistance, so you may want to check out various tools to aid with that, like the Garmin Forerunners, etc.

45 minutes doesn't matter -- what distance is it? What pace? Sounds to me like your body is getting confused on what you expect it to do.

As for the run burn, use petroleum jelly, or run shirtless.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 05:02 PM

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 05:04 PM

Heh, yeah -- I just started running "for serious," but I know what I'm talkin' about.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2006, 05:23 PM

Never had the nipples problem, but I figured someone should comment on it. I'm a big Gatorade advocate as well, so I'd say, "Definitely," on the Gatorade.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
my question is what is causing this?
You are running too fast. I suggest you get a pulse meter, so that you can monitor your speed.
i heard too much running will kill your legs so i run for 45 min a day twice a week and run my long distance runs on the weekends, should i be doing more/less?
For a marathon in a somewhat reasonable time you will have to run 3 to 4 days a week.
how do i get my nipples to stop burning?
I have this problem only with Asics shirts and no other brand. Might be worth to try another shirt for you too. If that doesn't help put a plaster on your nipples.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2006, 09:16 PM

when i run 45 min i usually get about 5 miles in and its more of a normal workout (not really pushing myself, just keeping myself active). i forgot to mention that i practice baskeball for 3 hours twice a week alongside this running, should i still increase the amount i run? also, is there a good hydration plan to running? i have lots of people telling me that im not drinking enough water, would drinking 12oz of water/gatorade every x amount of miles help, and if so how many miles should i run before drinking during my run? i really appreciate all this and cant wait to get my certificate hung on my wall.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 09:30 PM

You're probably running too fast. You ought to be work up to three hours on your long runs. Go at a pace at least 2 minutes slower than your "normal" pace. It's hard to go slow, but force yourself. Also you might visit some running forums, rather than asking here:

http://www.myjjk.com/

Chris

macroy
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 10:21 PM

... and most importantly...how do i get my nipples to stop burning? (my nipples rub up against my shirt and burn from irritation when im done running, is this normal?)
hahahaha

First - my hats off to you. as a pretty accomplished athlete, running (or anything aerobic) is by far my biggest hatred. I can run you ragged up and down a basketball court, but I doubt I can run to the end of my street...

I have a buddy that runs marathons, and I must say, the first time HE mentioned this I couldn't stop laughing. But I think he uses the round bandaids (the large ones) to put over them. At least that's what he says he does....

Best of luck.

galarneau
Senior User
Feb 7, 2006, 10:46 PM

Here's some advice from someone with both the brains (B.S. Exercise Physiology as well as an M.D.) and the brawn (Did Ironman USA in 1999):

1) Buy Galloways Book on Running. Great training advice for low milage marathons.
2) Frank Shorter once said you only need to run 3 times a week to get in great running shape. Believe him. Try doing some other workouts during the week instead of running, especially core strengthening exercises.
3) On your long runs you should be running at a pace that makes you feel guilty for going so slow. Any faster and you're going too fast.
4) Make sure you take food/drink early in your long runs. If you wait until you're hungry/thirsty, it's too late.
5) Use a heart monitor to make sure your heart rate is low enough during your long runs.
6) Try to run on soft surfaces when possible to reduce cumulative beatings on your musculoskeletal system.
7) Finally, a marthon is run in two halves. The first 20 miles and the last 6. Pace yourself, especially at the start.

Good luck

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2006, 11:09 PM

Reload this Page anybody here run marathons?
Nope. Only drive

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2006, 03:52 AM

thanks for the tips everyone, its really helpful. and macroy, if i ever get caught up in MD...were playin some hoops.

historylme
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 06:47 PM

Good luck Irez, I tried running that marathon twice now... and each time my knees give out. The last one, I couldn't walk afterwards. At the time running was my life, but it sucked that my body couldn't keep up with my goal.

Hope you don't hit a wall.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2006, 02:23 PM

The closest is that my wife volunteers with the Boston Marathon. She has been volunteering the last five years. Her work is as a Registered Nurse.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

macroy
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 02:43 PM

thanks for the tips everyone, its really helpful. and macroy, if i ever get caught up in MD...were playin some hoops.

uh oh.....

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by macroy
I have a buddy that runs marathons, and I must say, the first time HE mentioned this I couldn't stop laughing. But I think he uses the round bandaids (the large ones) to put over them.
He wouldn't need bandaids if he'd stop shaving his chest.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2006, 09:36 PM

Definitely slow down on the longer runs (its weird for me to call a 12 mile run a long run anymore). Do you run with a group? I always get better, more consistent work outs when I'm with a running group. Try to find a local running shop (I go to Dick Ponds) and hook up with a group there. They'll also have some pretty knowledgeable people there who can help you with some questions.

Good luck on the marathon - my next one is Chicago in October... 3:30 or bust (although I'll always have an eye on 3:10 and Boston...)

historylme
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
... (I go to Dick Ponds) and hook up with a group there...

hmmm, interesting use of words...

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 08:02 PM

haaahahaahahahahah.....

just wanted to catalog my training, so today i ran my longest run yet...18.5 miles in a time of 3hr 20min. this is after two weeks of not running due to a sprained ankle i received....two weeks ago, duh. my knees feel like theyve been shot with bullets, but other than that i feel fine. next sunday im going for 22, then its one week of tapering down and getting ready for the big day. thanks for the help, and the laughs

OreoCookie
Mar 5, 2006, 08:17 PM

I wish my knees would hold up so I could run a marathon (I had surgery done on my right knee twice already … although my legs are in good shape). Part of me wants to just give a damn and try it, although it's gonna be hard to find enough time to go running more than twice a week (I go swimming once a week, too).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2006, 09:04 PM

My dad's 52 and he does at least one a year, he got two in last summer. He would do shorter workouts on weekdays (anywhere from 5-10 miles) then work up to 20 or so on Saturday, then rest Sunday. I ran cross country in high school and we ran against each other in some road races. I could take him pretty easily, but the first 5 mile I ran for that summer I pushed too hard at the beginning and he got me in the last mile.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 09:12 PM

I took part in the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon that took
place here in Minneapolis the summer before last that
was broadcast on NBC television.

My former company had me participate as a cyclist on
a relay team, we also had a swimmer from our New York office and a co-worker from our IT group as runner.

Let me tell you, after they outsourced my group I had
nothing but time to work on losing the extra weight
that was holding me back.

http://pod.ath.cx/bikedecide/road/tri/tri.html is
a website with pics that shows what happened.

9 days after I did the triathlon I did a century ride and
kept riding until the snow fell that year and dropped
about 60 pounds from where I started. Best thing I
could have done.

Me in my cycling duds down 60 lbs: http://pod.ath.cx/w8/todddown60.jpg

The biggest thing was to train for endurance at speed.
Before I could go on long rides but at poky speeds.

I had to go all out for over an hour and I did manage to shave many minutes off my time trial speed thanks to a Carmichael Training Systems video (Chris Carmichael was Lance Armstrong's coach).

Anyway, good luck! I suggest competent coaching and advice from professional local assistance.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Mar 5, 2006 at 09:24 PM. )

swrate
Senior User
Mar 6, 2006, 03:54 PM

i used to run long distances, and took magnesium 6 weeks ahead of races it keeps the muscles endurant.

maybe you should try and cover your nipples with adhesive bandage during races (try it first, to make sure it does not make you feel uncomfortable)
gatorade is bad for the stomach.
hop iREZ!
"Those people so uptight, they sure know how to make a mess"

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 04:35 PM

ok so i started 'training' for the los angeles marathon in early december. the marathon is on the 19th of march, and i have a situation. im at the point where i could run 12 miles, but while running my last leg miles 10-12 my body collapses on me, but not physically. ill notice that i start to slow down to a crawl but when i realize it i push myself to run how i was running before, but a minute later i realize im at that slow crawl again. i know im capable of running my normal pace because when i force myself to run, my body reacts and IS capable, but i have to concentrate constantly on keeping that pace instead of leisurely running like i did to get to that point. my question is what is causing this? i know theres a 'wall' that most runners have to over come, but i thought that wall was at mile 15-20. am i not hydrating myself enough (i drink hardly the amount i should be drinking on a daily basis)? should i drink gatorade instead? how often should i run from now till the day of (bout a month away), i heard too much running will kill your legs so i run for 45 min a day twice a week and run my long distance runs on the weekends, should i be doing more/less? any hints or tips? and most importantly...how do i get my nipples to stop burning? (my nipples rub up against my shirt and burn from irritation when im done running, is this normal?) any info will help from anybody who runs regularly, thanks
Nipples = I first tried putting vaseline on my nipples until I ruined a few t-shirts and it looked really weird!

Hydrate during the run and (small sips of gatorade, early in the race and often, is great...designed to replenish electrolytes and blood sugar levels as well as fluids) more than you are feeling thirsty for.

Go to the library and get any of the books on running. You have already gotten the major problems handled. This is all just fine tuning. Good for you and good luck!
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
I took part in the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon that took
place here in Minneapolis the summer before last that
was broadcast on NBC television.

My former company had me participate as a cyclist on
a relay team, we also had a swimmer from our New York office and a co-worker from our IT group as runner.

Let me tell you, after they outsourced my group I had
nothing but time to work on losing the extra weight
that was holding me back.

http://pod.ath.cx/bikedecide/road/tri/tri.html is
a website with pics that shows what happened.

9 days after I did the triathlon I did a century ride and
kept riding until the snow fell that year and dropped
about 60 pounds from where I started. Best thing I
could have done.

Me in my cycling duds down 60 lbs: http://pod.ath.cx/w8/todddown60.jpg

The biggest thing was to train for endurance at speed.
Before I could go on long rides but at poky speeds.

I had to go all out for over an hour and I did manage to shave many minutes off my time trial speed thanks to a Carmichael Training Systems video (Chris Carmichael was Lance Armstrong's coach).

Anyway, good luck! I suggest competent coaching and advice from professional local assistance.
BTW, KUDOS TO YOU!!!
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2006, 04:43 PM

I always thought gatorade was useless at the beginning of the race - it's better to drink water through mile 8 or so, then switch to gatorade. I could be wrong on that...

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by swrate
i used to run long distances, and took magnesium 6 weeks ahead of races it keeps the muscles endurant.
I have never heard that magnesium supplementation is supposed to be beneficial. So I did a quick Google search and found this medical study in which magnesium was found to have no beneficial effect:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Chris

swrate
Senior User
Mar 7, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
I have never heard that magnesium supplementation is supposed to be beneficial. So I did a quick Google search and found this medical study in which magnesium was found to have no beneficial effect:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Chris
Different teams different methods may be.
I could probably find sources on the web recommending the intake of magnesium,i am a conviced magnesium user (when i need it)
Magnesium/Potassiumworks for me, I run 4-5 years long distance, a few marathons, a lot of training, was one year in national team. We were recommended this by our trainers and the team doctors.
. It’s sure better to eat plenty of carbohydrates (cereals dried fruit or pasta or rice whatever suits the best) one to 2 hours before race. Magnesium can help for cramps, allergies etc…..and renews blood cells.

http://www.wellfx.com/InfoBase/Magnesium.htm
"Those people so uptight, they sure know how to make a mess"

Forum Links
Forum Rules