Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Sturdyness

Powerbook Sturdyness
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2001, 03:58 PM

With the recent speculation on the Powerbook being upgraded at MWNY I was excited myself. But I watched the Keynote on TechTV at home and was dissapointed..

What I would really like to know, because the other stuff is kinda cursory to me.. Have the casing rigidity, CD problems and Battery falling out been corrected? If so I will probably get one next month.

Thanks,
Phill

kenw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2001, 05:08 PM

As a related issue, are long-time TiBook users happy with their purchase? I know that new buyers are always ecstatic, but how do TiBook owners feel after using their computers daily for many months?
al_iMac 24"; al_MacBook 13"; MacPro

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2001, 05:13 PM

I've had my Ti400 since early March and have used it daily ever since.
I have no complaint whatsoever. it still is a real pleasure to work with my Ti and i haven't regretted my purchase for one minute.

GK

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2001, 05:28 PM

Even after seeing how OSX works on it?

Just kidding... it wasn't at all Ti's fault... OSX10.1 will change everything.

Circa
Senior User
Jul 22, 2001, 05:44 PM

Well most people will notice that the tibooks for the most part are in fact very sturdy. Titanium beats plastic anyday and in fact metal beats plastic any day. But the tibook is still very thin and is a delicate piece of work, it should still be cared for very well.

Every notebook has its faults, but you will not find a notebook anywhere else that has good quality and great looks.
Circa

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2001, 10:21 PM

I have owned at least 1 of most PowerBooks since the original PB 100. I now own a PBG4 500, PBG4 400, 2 Ibook 300, 3 5300, & several duos.

The PBG4 is not as delecate as we all feel. We just know that the finish scratches very easily. Even a watch band or ring can leave an unsightly scratch. The screen is scary, since it is so thin & wide, we are always afraid of flexing it too far. It is a great laptop, very overpriced & typical Apple(Crying "Think Differnt").

I think the Pismo is still the best PowerBook Apple created, and destined to be a winner for a long time, especially when third party vendors release a G4 daughter board or a 1.6 GHZ G3 that IBM is working on.

Another problem with the PBG4 is the cost & availability of 512MB ram chips. All other PBs except G4 & new Ibook the 512MB chips are 1/3 price of G4. Also I wished the CD?DVD was hot sapable, like a Pismo. If it needed repair, you could send it in & keep working, A PBG4 requires you to lose use of PB for at least 10 days. Scary if you use it in your business!

blot
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2001, 10:30 AM

No problems with my Ti500 so far (but I really take care of it) and also no regrets selling my Pismo500 for the upgrade until someone makes a 1Ghz G4 daughter card ugrade for the pismo......

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2001, 10:37 AM

So is the top or bottom slot the smaller one (RAM)?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2001, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by SpinCycle:
<STRONG>So is the top or bottom slot the smaller one (RAM)?</STRONG>
Bottom need smaller chip!

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2001, 11:17 PM

both need smaller chip, Ti will not accept high profile chips at all (that's why I think Transint'l "guarantee" is bogus, because they HAVE to have low profile Ti RAM). If you have a Ti, and you disagree, open the keyboard (I just did)... there's no way a high profile will fit in the top slot. BOTH slots need low profile RAM.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Forum Links
Forum Rules