Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread!

Official 'New Powerbook Order Status' Thread! (Page 8)
Sakino
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 09:21 AM

Both are at my local airborne station as of 730 this morning. My ipod and pb

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 09:32 AM

OH MY GOD!!!!!!

26/03 8:30am
Arrived at Airborne Station.__
Portland,_ME

26/03 9:11am Out for Delivery

Pant, pant, drool, drool .......

=========

Oooops ... just checked ... and the iPod!!!!!
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
OH MY GOD!!!!!!

26/03 8:30am
Arrived at Airborne Station.__
Portland,_ME

26/03 9:11am Out for Delivery

Pant, pant, drool, drool .......

=========

Oooops ... just checked ... and the iPod!!!!!
Hi,
When did you place the order? How long have you waited?

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 09:47 AM

My iPod is out for delivery as well, ordered 9/16, shipped 9/19.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by gsingh:
Hi,
When did you place the order? How long have you waited?
Tuesday, 16th, 6:15am pst ... 15", 1.25, 5400, otherwise stock ... iPod 20GB, personalized.

HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

bonk
Sep 26, 2003, 09:58 AM

My BTO 17" (upgraded to 5400) just got bumped from shipping yesterday to 9/30

I ordered on the 22nd.

Waveman
Sep 26, 2003, 10:57 AM

When I checked at 6:30 this morning, Airborne tracking still said "in transit." The computer arrived a few minutes ago. The tracking info. had apparently changed to "out for delivery" at 7:30 AM.

So this is consistent with Apple's claim that delivery will occur about 2 business days after the shipment clears customs, which mine did on Wed. the 24th. You can track this with the waybill # from the invoice. The individual tracking numbers are almost useless - they show "out for delivery" just before delivery occurs, but don't give you a day's notice the way other shippers' tracking systems do.

Hope this helps others who are impatiently waiting like I was.

(Now I have to wait until I get home to play!)

skateray
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 10:59 AM

So now both my iPod and Powerbook are out for delivery. I ordered on the 16th. Its kinda weird though.... My powerbook is "out for delivery" from Detroit, MI.... but my iPod is "out for delivery" from South Bend, IN!!!!! I don't think that makes much sense... I'm here in Ann Arbor, MI, so it would make sense to deliver from Detriot. hmmmm... well i guess it really doesnt matter as long as i get it SOON!!!

ME = excited

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 11:16 AM

Well, either Airborne is the worst shipping company in the world, or Apple is stupid. Apple sells and gaurentees expidited shipping on a product that has to clear customs and be shipped from Taiwan. So i'm wondering since this shipping process takes close to 7 days, if it's apple's mistake.

First, they should sell expidited shiping but they shouldnt alert you it has shipped until it leaves the distro center, instead they tell you the moment it leaves taiwan which is useless, and you assume your package is 48hrs away. But it's not, its not even on its way to your house. So this is misleading. It is being shipped in bulk thru customs to IL. This is not "shipped". Shipped is the day my laptop gets its own box, and a label with my name on it.

So either A) Apple usually sells non BTO items and they usually ship from IL right away or Even BTO's and normal laptops ship from taiwan individually (Horrible idea). So what's up with this system of apple's.?

tumblemonster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 11:26 AM

I just got off the phone with Apple. I changed my order from a 1 gig Single RAM module to a single 512mb RAM module. Everything else stayed the same (1.25GHZ/80gig@5400). The estimated ship date went from November 4th to October 3rd! Whoo HOOOOO!!

I'll be ordering a second RAM module from OWC or Crucial this afternoon. THanks for the great ideas everyone!

-tm

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 11:28 AM

Airborne pretty much sucks. Check out my story and how I chased my Powerbook all over town and how it was wrongly delivered to CompUSA!?!!?

-brian

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by tumblemonster:
I just got off the phone with Apple. I changed my order from a 1 gig Single RAM module to a single 512mb RAM module. Everything else stayed the same (1.25GHZ/80gig@5400). The estimated ship date went from November 4th to October 3rd! Whoo HOOOOO!!

I'll be ordering a second RAM module from OWC or Crucial this afternoon. THanks for the great ideas everyone!

-tm
Congrats! That is not a bad wait, at all (easy for me to say now!!).

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 12:12 PM

Woo-hoo! Out for delivery!! Actually, I'm happiest that my statistical evaluation of all the shipping numbers was right (I'm a scientist).

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm happiest it will be here soon. Gabe the mail dude will get a warm reception today.

http://onsager.cop.uop.edu/~mccallum/delivery.jpg

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 12:43 PM

Congrats, machem! Glad to know you are finally getting your 'book. What a fun software installling, wireless surfing weekend we have in store. Maybe I'll even do something productive.

-brian

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by aapljack:
Congrats, machem! Glad to know you are finally getting your 'book. What a fun software installling, wireless surfing weekend we have in store. Maybe I'll even do something productive.

-brian
CHA. Actually, I do want to do some battery calibrating/benchmarking, the obligitory Xbench thing, and some simulation and tachyon/ImageMagick benchmarking. In the dark. I hope my wife didn't expect me to do anything this weekend!

CobaltGT
Sep 26, 2003, 01:24 PM

mine came today. 1.25 bto combo

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 02:48 PM

Just wanted to mention I am officially finished with this thread.

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2003, 03:00 PM

Ordered a 15" SD 80 5400 PB with the FCE bundle (99.00 woohoo) and went to bed. Woke up and found a "shipped out" email from apple. It was for the FCE Oh well the status on the PB is on or before 10/02.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

tumblemonster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 03:57 PM

That happened to me too. My Final Cut Pro 4 shipped out. I'm staring at the box right now. Too bad I can't do anything with it until my Albook comes!!

-tm

WhtKnight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 04:13 PM

Well guys here is to hoping that Apple keeps to their ship date and my laptop comes out today. here is my config.

PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/1024/80/CMBO/AP/BL/LL

On or before
09/26/2003 $2,591.00

1.25GHz PowerPC G4
1GB DDR333 SDRAM-2X512MB
80GB Ultra ATA Drive@5400rpm
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Country Kit/Airport Extreme
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS

paulvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 04:19 PM

We are an Apple retailer in Canada and have had the 15" models in stock since Tuesday. . .

ddiver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 04:46 PM

I ordered my new 12" G4 with SD, 80 gig, on Monday of this week. I just checked and it shipped out today (9/26) from Taoyuan City TW with an estimated delivery of 10/02/2003. And I did pay the extra 23.00 for overnight shipping. I guess overnight isn't really overnight since it looks like I might get it by next Thursday. I'm wondering what ground would look like for an ETA. And yes, I do understand that it has to clear customs, etc.

I had it configured as follows...
PBG4 12.1/1GHZ/256/80/SD/AP/BT
12" iBook Dual USB 600, Blueberry
iBook, 8500, IIci, SE/30, 20 gig iPod,
Netwon 110, Newton 120, eMate 300

Aluminum
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2003, 07:50 PM

So yeah my powerbook was supposed to be here yesterday, talked to airborne and they finally have an update "it should be there monday", the kicker is that my tracking says "shippers door" as of yesterday, and everyone has been getting theirs the day after they get that update. Well apparently my albook will be sitting in Airborne facility on Sat, waiting for delivery on monday. Here comes the kicker, I was going to go down there to pick it up on sat but airborne wont allow me because of fraud reasons. They said they would release it to me if they got it on sat if apple gave them clearance. Apple tells me thats agaisnt their policy but they are trying to bump up my delivery to tomorrow. They didnt call me back, needless to say I dont expect much to happen tomorrow. Guess its going to be a slow weekend waiting for it. Nice to see you got yours Sakino, I however am in Tucson so its another day away, meaning next week
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by gsingh:
Just to let everyone know. I called Apple today to cancel my order for my Powerbook 15" 1Ghz due to the delay in shipping. I just ordered it on 9/23 and now it says will ship on or before 10/03 -

Anyway I called them to cancel and the customer rep said she can offer me some free software if I dont cancel. I then asked her If I can get a free accessory instead and she said sure. So they are now sending me a FREE New Apple Wireless Keyboard with my Powerbook purchase.

I can wait another week for a FREE APPLE WIRELESS KEYBOARD $70 Value..

How awesome is that.

They gave you a free wireless keyboard because your ship date got bumped a few days!? I gotta try that...dialing apple now. I could use a bluetooth keyboard.
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

DanielMaui
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2003, 11:13 PM

My ThinkPad FINALLY arrived!!!!!

OOOPS! Wrong country!

Just kidding... haven't even ordered my 15 ALPB yet :-) Letting all you that REALLY need yours get yours first. Then, I'll place my order. Apple, save me a nice shiny one with no dead pixels, please.

Daniel
from my trusty Pismo

BR61
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by filmmaker2002:
They gave you a free wireless keyboard because your ship date got bumped a few days!? I gotta try that...dialing apple now. I could use a bluetooth keyboard.
Found out this morning that my order that was scheduled to ship today(9/26) was pushed back to 10/03. Pissed me off a little so I gotta call and see if I can get lucky in getting that bluetooth wireless keyboard.

Ordered a G4 PB 15" 1.25ghz downgraded to combodrive thru Ed Store. Ordered on 9/19.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 02:23 AM

My order due to ship on 9/26 was also pushed back to 10/3.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 02:26 AM

Ordered today. Will ship on 10/03/03.

1.25 GHz PowerBook
80GB HD - 5400 RPM

40GB iPod

Canon i450 Printer + Cable

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 02:28 AM

Also, do they charge you when they ship the units out? Because all you people are cancelling, so did they refund your money, or just not charge you? I have to wire transfer the money so I have to pre-pay

mattm42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 02:31 AM

Whelp, the 15" I ordered on the 16th (1.0GHz/combo, but had them throw a backlit keyboard in) arrived yesterday. After using my 600MHz iBook (with the 8 megs of video RAM) for a long time, going to this is QUITE amazing.

Anyway, I find it interesting that the iPod I ordered with this thing shipped out 3 days before the PowerBook did, yet is still floating somewhere in the Airborne universe.

Of course, the Airborne page says it's still in transit from Taiwan. Maybe they put it on a boat..

farman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 02:37 AM

Don't normally post on these forums, but I thought you all might like to see my new setup. Good luck to all you waiting, you love your new powerbooks!

http://homepage.mac.com/farman/PhotoAlbum15.html

beefstu01
Sep 27, 2003, 03:00 AM

Yeah, has anybody recieved their iPods yet? Mine was ordered on the 16th, shipped the 19th, and as of right now (the 26th), it still hasn't left Taiwan according to Airborne. This is total crap! I paid for 2 day shipping, and now a week later it has yet to surface. I think some guy is canoeing all the iPods across the ocean... maybe that's why it's taking so long.

EvanV
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by beefstu01:
Yeah, has anybody recieved their iPods yet? Mine was ordered on the 16th, shipped the 19th, and as of right now (the 26th), it still hasn't left Taiwan according to Airborne. This is total crap! I paid for 2 day shipping, and now a week later it has yet to surface. I think some guy is canoeing all the iPods across the ocean... maybe that's why it's taking so long.
Phone and complain. You will get your money back for shipping hopefully. That is what I plan on doing if it's not at my house in 2 days of shipping.

Blackstealth
Sep 27, 2003, 05:37 AM

Ordered mine from the Apple UK Education store on morning of the 17th, meant to ship on or before the 25th, but as of this minute still listed as 'Being Assembled' on the order status page.

15"
1.25Ghz
Combo Drive
512Mb (2x SO-DIMMs)
60Gb
Extra AC

xtoph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by beefstu01:
My 40 Gb iPod "shipped" on 9/18 and its airborne status changed for the first time last night:

9/18 11:39am
In Transit -- Shanghai, China

9/26 10:18pm
Picked up by Airborne -- Shipper's Door

9/27 2:26am
Processed at Sort Facility -- Wilmington, OH

(I'm in Colorado, paid for 2-3 day shipping.)

So... Monday?

Edit: ooh, now it's "out for delivery" !!! Did they upgrade to Saturday delivery? That would be nice! Now I can't leave the house all day! :-)

Edit 2: sure enough, it got delivered today! Hooray! Bye-bye impatience thread -- good luck everyone else! :-)
( Last edited by xtoph; Sep 27, 2003 at 01:53 PM. )

jslacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 11:20 AM

I ordered educational late at night on the 22nd. I ordered the PB 15" stock 1.25ghz system, a 10GB ipod and final cut express. Got the ipod and fce two days ago! Powerbook originally said shipping the 23rd, then the 24th, then oct 3, then the 24th, and finally back to the 3rd. Woke up this morning to an email saying the pb had finally shipped today (the 27th, w/ free upgrade by apple to priority overnite)... airborne tells me it shipped from the Illinois center, so it will probably be here monday. I'm in Florida, USofA.

Still can't make any sense of how apple ships...

- joel

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by farman:
Don't normally post on these forums, but I thought you all might like to see my new setup. Good luck to all you waiting, you love your new powerbooks!

http://homepage.mac.com/farman/PhotoAlbum15.html

Your cats are lovely

dcsmrgun
Sep 28, 2003, 03:25 PM

Welp, just did it.

15" 1GHZ Al, combo drive, stock 256MB ram, 60gb 4200, non backlit keyboard. Added an Airport card though.

$1800 with ADC discount. Just placed the order 10 minutes ago. Stopwatch is officially running!

Edit: In case anyone is wondering, I went lower end as I'm on a budget, don't need a superdrive, and 1gig is plenty improvement over my 350MHZ Sawtooth.

Will need to upgrade RAM soon though

DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 06:12 PM

I'm hoping mine actually ships out tomorrow. Thats the on or before ship date and apple charged my account on Saturday with the correctly figured tax (a bit more than the estimate).

Order Date
09/21/2003
03:00 PM PST

Shipping Method
Bestway

PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/512/60/SD/AP/BL/LL Z07E02CQU
On or before 09/29/2003
1.25GHz PowerPC G4 065-4116
512MB DDR333 SDRAM-2X256MB 065-4139
60GB Ultra ATA Drive@4200rpm 065-4117
Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW) 065-4119
Country Kit/Airport Extreme 065-4496
BkLit Keyboard/Mac OS 065-4495
$2,019.00

I'm wondering about the shipping method though. It was first 2 day priority, then priority overnight, and now bestway.. whatever that means.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 09:51 PM

"bestway" means the fastest, I believe.

"fastest" in Airborne's definition, of course. Sometimes ground is faster than air.

bfurtado
Sep 28, 2003, 10:09 PM

"bestway" means the fastest, I believe.
Please don't tell me this

My 2 Day Shipping (Canadian Education Order) was changed to Bestway so when I called on a different matter and mentioned it, the rep apologized and changed it back to 2 Day. He said Bestway was slower. Was I hosed?

Brian

machem
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2003, 11:31 PM

Well then, I guess bestway must mean "most convenient" (to Airbore).

The wait will be excruciating, but it will be worth it. Don't let all the chatter about delivery time or build quality stress you out.

wavegroom
Sep 29, 2003, 07:03 AM

My Powerbook is still "Being Reviewed"

grrrrrr, can't wait!!!

mwelty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 04:08 PM

I remember ordering products from Apple in the past, and I see the "Being Reviewed" "Being Assembled" "Preparing for Shipment," etc.

With my order of a 15.2" 1.25GHz AlBook (customized to have 1 512MB DIMM and Combo Drive) I just get a dinky status page (text-only) that shows that the order is "Open."

I placed the order on 9/24/03. My ship-by date is 10/01/03 (Wednesday). Does anyone think I'll end up getting bumped like other people? My shipping method did, however, get upgraded to Priority Overnite without me calling.

ulmer
Sep 29, 2003, 04:12 PM

My 15" 1.25/combo/5400 was ordered on 9/19, originally supposed to ship 9/26, now on or before 10/3. I'm hoping is goes out in the next day or two but it looks like it won't be here until next week either way. :-(

Has anyone received a shipping notification today?????

Mwelty, It seems everyone gets a shipping date of 5 business days out (unless they order 1GB ram sticks which extend shipping more) and then get postponed another week on the "on or before" day they originally had. Hope you have better luck!

bonk
Sep 29, 2003, 04:19 PM

Ordered a 17" BTO to 5400rpm drive on 9/22.

It originally said to ship by 9/25. I also ordered Keynote with it and it shipped 9/23.

Now my pb says it'll ship by tomorrow. Hopefully they won't delay it any more.

mwelty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 04:21 PM

I sold my other computers to purchase this PowerBook. I'm without a computer until then (except at work). I really hope Apple pulls through for me on this one and doesn't bump me well into October!

gsingh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by ulmer:
My 15" 1.25/combo/5400 was ordered on 9/19, originally supposed to ship 9/26, now on or before 10/3. I'm hoping is goes out in the next day or two but it looks like it won't be here until next week either way. :-(

Has anyone received a shipping notification today?????

Mwelty, It seems everyone gets a shipping date of 5 business days out (unless they order 1GB ram sticks which extend shipping more) and then get postponed another week on the "on or before" day they originally had. Hope you have better luck!
I see activity on my account. Seems like it was just shipped out of Taiwan Airborne is aware of this problem and clearly stated all of this shipping mystery is in Apples hand since they are shipping them out of Taiwan as the come off the assembly line this may also explain the amount of problems many people are compaining about once they recieve the machines. Any way Airborne said I should recieve it by 10/03 which is the date stated by Apple.

mwelty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2003, 04:41 PM

I tell you one thing, though. After all of this, Apple had better report at the end of the quarter that they experienced unbelievable PowerBook sales, much more than anticipated, and had a very profitable quarter.

That is the only condition under which Apple can be forgiven for these shipping issues.

pptiger
Sep 29, 2003, 06:21 PM

I ordered a 15" powerbook with a 10GB ipod and a HP printer on 9/26. The printer arrived Saturday morning at 9:00 (FedEx). But powerbook will be shipped on or before 10/03, and the shipping date for ipod is 10/07 or earlier. well, who believe they will ship earlier?. That's a long wait! I bought it through education discount.
( Last edited by pptiger; Sep 29, 2003 at 06:26 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules