Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > streaming (.asx/.ram) audio with itunes?

streaming (.asx/.ram) audio with itunes?
Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 10:51 AM

I there a way to play windows-media streams as well as realplayer streams with itunes? don't like to install those previous mentioned applications. I'm talking about .ram or .asx streams.
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Ilja:
I there a way to play windows-media streams as well as realplayer streams with itunes? don't like to install those previous mentioned applications. I'm talking about .ram or .asx streams.
If you have the files already you can "stream" them thru Apache which comes bundled with X (just create a web pages with the correct links).
Else you'll need specific software do do it.

Ilja  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 11:02 AM

I don't want to stream files, I want to be able to listen to streams.

Various Dutch internet-radio stations broadcast in .ram or .asx format (windows media player files) which are not recognized on my computer. I'd like to be able to listen to them with iTunes, since I don't like to install windows media player or realaudio...
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 11:23 AM

I don't want to stream files, I want to be able to listen to streams.
AFAIK real does not provide itunes codecs. Microsoft neither. So you can't listen to those radio. This could easely be possible if the radios would stream mp3's, just ask them.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2003, 02:01 PM

I
Various Dutch internet-radio stations broadcast in .ram or .asx format (windows media player files) which are not recognized on my computer. I'd like to be able to listen to them with iTunes, since I don't like to install windows media player or realaudio...
Unfortunately, you'll have to install RP and/or WiMP to play these streams (or some third party app that I don't know of). iTunes wouldn't be able to play a .ram any more than RealPlayer would be able to play an .asx. As ludovic said, those are proprietary formats and Real or Microsoft would have to graciously provide codecs to allow other applications to play those files (and why would they want to waste time doing that -- they want you using their player)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 04:15 PM

So, I am using WMP 9 and I try to listen to a radio stream in asx format. Does not work. Why can't MS at least make their own player work with their own format?

Of course, it would be nice to listen to it with iTunes but I'll use WMP if I have to.

grobbins
Nov 17, 2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Ludovic Hirlimann:
AFAIK real does not provide itunes codecs. Microsoft neither. So you can't listen to those radio. This could easely be possible if the radios would stream mp3's, just ask them.
Real does provide much of the streaming software via the open-source effort at the helix community site, but users seem sufficiently satisfied with the free RealOne Player for Mac OS X, so I've not seen any new player built for the Mac on the open source code.

Forum Links
Forum Rules