Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Best software NAS solution?

Best software NAS solution?
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2006, 12:40 AM

I am trying out FreeNAS right now and I have set it up to talk AFP only right now. I have been able to connect by going to the finder and choosing connect to server and typing in AFP://IPADDRESS HERE.

The only thing that will appear in the finder is when I choose to allow it to show SMB shares if I set it up to do so. Is there a way for the AFP shares to show as well?

In the end what I would like to have the fastest type of connection possible, if AFP is not the fastest but one of, that would be great. As well I would like for it to accept all file names that I could have on my mac since up until now I have been using a Buffalo NAS which will not accept some of the file names that I try to send over to it and it causes a problem when copying multiple files over, then stopping in the middle because of a problem. I have to somehow find the problem and start it up again.

Hope this is the right group.

Forum Links
Forum Rules