Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Airport at 128bit WEP, Do I need a new Base Station?

Airport at 128bit WEP, Do I need a new Base Station?
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 11:54 AM

Since reading this at the apple developer site.
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/...put/index.html
(hint .. click on airport after loading this page)

It says that the airport cards now operate at 128-Bit WEP. Is it just the cards or is it software, and if it is the cards do I have to get a new Airport Base Station in order to use 128-Bit?

Regards,
SpinCycle

scarab
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 12:10 PM

I think it's there for compatibility with other base stations that use 128bit WEP, like the Cisco ones, and I doubt the existing ABS can work at 128bit WEP with the new cards... The ABSes are based on 40bit right?

BahnStormer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2001, 08:32 AM

To use 128-bit encryption with the Airport Base Station (ABS), you have to replace the Silver Orinoco card with a Gold card. Then you have to use a 128-bit configurator like this one to setup your passwords.

Here's a forum link on this topic.

I've done this myself, and works well. I even argued with some guy who wrote an article on Powerbook Central about this.

~EMan

Forum Links
Forum Rules