Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Compact DVDs

Compact DVDs
737driver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2009, 10:08 PM

New to MacNN, so my apologies if this has been discussed before. A friend gave me one of those 3" DVD-RWs with footage of my kid in parts of it. My first question is whether I can insert this thing into my iMac 17 circa early 2007 and still get it out of the machine? If I can get it in there, can I read it and copy certain files? I also have a Macbook from mid 2007, can that read this type of disc?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2009, 11:50 PM

No, and no.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 20, 2009, 10:01 AM

For any disc that isn't the standard diameter (120mm/4.72in), a slot loading drive WILL NOT WORK. You need a TRAY loading drive for smaller diameter discs. It's all about how the slot drive mechanism loads the disc.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ibook_steve
Feb 20, 2009, 12:45 PM

Except, for some reason, the Nintendo Wii. It has the only slot-loading drive I know of that takes both standard and mini DVDs (for Gamecube games). I'm sure there's a good reason why Apple doesn't use these drives (probably either cost or proprietary for Nintendo).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2009, 08:51 PM

There were a couple TiBook models that would take the mini CD/DVDs too, but by the time I got my 1GHz SuperDrive TiBook, no slot-loading Mac could handle them.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 20, 2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Except, for some reason, the Nintendo Wii. It has the only slot-loading drive I know of that takes both standard and mini DVDs (for Gamecube games). I'm sure there's a good reason why Apple doesn't use these drives (probably either cost or proprietary for Nintendo).
The 2000-era slot-loading CRT iMacs could also handle mini-CDs.

I guess the drive makers stopped making them.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 22, 2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post

Steve
Originally Posted by tooki View Post
The 2000-era slot-loading CRT iMacs could also handle mini-CDs.

I guess the drive makers stopped making them.
The mechanisms to handle two different sizes of disc have to be way more complex than what it takes to handle just one size. That makes for more expensive drives that have more points of failure. When balanced against expected sales numbers, I think Apple went with "this will 'just work'" versus "this will get us a lot of returns and cost more too."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2009, 10:17 AM

I think there is an adaptor to allow small DVD's to be inserted, possibly only suitable for tray loaders though, so sort of defeats the object

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Forum Links
Forum Rules