Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where find OS X Leopard (10.5) [for PPC machines]

Where find OS X Leopard (10.5) [for PPC machines]
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2010, 09:45 AM

Now that I've stepped up to Snow Leopard (10.6) on my new iMac, I find the Tiger-based machines around the family to be a drag, and I discovered that a friend's PB with Leopard (10.5) is a lot more pleasant. So...

I'd like to buy Leopard. But as far as I can find, neither Apple nor Amazon is a source for 10.5 now
Googling for "buy Leopard powerbook" etc gives me mostly articles on "how to" or "whether to" upgrade to Leopard - and/or articles back to 2007 - or turn out to be about "Snow Leopard" and its inapplicability to PPC Macs.

Got any ideas where a guy can pursue (belatedly) buying Leopard?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2010, 10:51 AM

You mean that of all the Macs you own you only have copies of Tiger and Snow Leopard but not Leopard?

If you can't find it, I'm sure there are many people with extra copies of Leopard around that you can ask for in the Marketplace.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2010, 11:16 AM

Yep. Nothing in between. Tiger or SN.

Thanks for the reminder about Marketplace here!

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 7, 2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
I'd like to buy Leopard. But as far as I can find, neither Apple nor Amazon is a source for 10.5 now
Amazon still has them if you click on the used and new section link. Only third party and individual sellers have them and not Amazon personally. Remember you can also buy the family pack but it might cost more. Other places might still be selling them in their used sections as well.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2010, 03:23 PM

Don't use the buy it now option on eBay, at least from what I've seen. Single-user copies are listed at over $150 for unopened boxes. There's the auction format of course...
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2010, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Amazon still has them if you click on the used and new section link. Only third party and individual sellers have them and not Amazon personally. Remember you can also buy the family pack but it might cost more. Other places might still be selling them in their used sections as well.
When I look at the Mac OS page at Amazon [ Amazon.ca Software Bestsellers: The most popular items in Mac OS. Updated hourly. ] all I see listed for LEOPARD is the family-pack - and only ONE "used&new": for $499 . WTF ???

dedalus
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2010, 05:28 PM

In all my experiences with Apple, they have never failed to accommodate a single one of my needs. Go to the website, find their phone number, call it, and they will put you through to somebody who will get you a 10.5 PPC DVD shipped to you within the week, I’ll bet you. Just call.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jan 7, 2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
When I look at the Mac OS page at Amazon [ Amazon.ca Software Bestsellers: The most popular items in Mac OS. Updated hourly. ] all I see listed for LEOPARD is the family-pack - and only ONE "used&new": for $499 . WTF ???
Sorry I didn't realize you lived outside the USA. The USA Amazon site still has new and used copies of Leopard. You can find out if any of the sellers are willing to ship internationally.

Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Go to the website, find their phone number, call it, and they will put you through to somebody who will get you a 10.5 PPC DVD shipped to you within the week, I’ll bet you. Just call.
I have actually read about other people doing the same thing and Apple either sent them one or sold them one. You have nothing to lose.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2010, 08:53 PM

Check out your local colleges and University bookstores, they might still have copies in stock. Of course, you have to be working or enrolled there, so if you have a friend who works or in school there, have them take you there with their ID card.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I have actually read about other people doing the same thing and Apple either sent them one or sold them one. You have nothing to lose.
Same here. It would be nice to come back to this thread and see a post saying "Yea! Disc from Apple is on the way!"
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2010, 04:49 PM

Maybe not your needs, but remember the 'Mac Box Set' is another option to get 10.5 bundled with iLife '09 and iWork '09. It cost $249.99 at amazon.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2010, 05:11 PM

My PPC machines are keeping Tiger on them, for Classic support. It's a pity that Apple had to drop that in Leopard instead of just waiting for the Intel-only Snow Leopard release where it would have made a lot more sense.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2010, 12:49 AM

I just keep a 10.4 partition around on one of my G5's backup disks for that purpose, but then again I haven't used Classic in ages.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Love Calm Quiet  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Maybe not your needs, but remember the 'Mac Box Set' is another option to get 10.5 bundled with iLife '09 and iWork '09. It cost $249.99 at amazon.
Yes, I've seen such. Yet, somehow for me, to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard fro $249 seems a tad(!) steep. Especially when one can get an upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard for, what... $29?

I'm going to try the suggestion of telephone Apple sales as suggested above to see what they can do for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules