Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Mail - where are my old emails?

Apple Mail - where are my old emails?
badidea
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2015, 12:06 PM

I don't know if the problem is already weeks or even months old but I just had to realize that a lot of my old emails disappeared in Apple Mail (OS X El Capitan)!

I still have many emails from 2005 - 2008 and a few (I think there should be a lot more) from 2009 - 2012 but none from 2013 & 2014! They all disappeared!
2015 seems to be complete though.

I am not really looking for a solution here but has anyone of you ever experienced something like this before? Any idea how this can happen?

Additional info because maybe it's related: Apple Mail also recently started to have the problem that it doesn't show the messages window anymore when I open it! I can only get to see my inbox by switching to fullscreen mode and then switching back! When googling this problem I had to find out that this seems to happen to quite a few people since many versions of Apple Mail but unfortunately all "solutions" that worked for other people have not worked for me!
Since it works with the fullscreen workaround, I am still ok with it...

honestone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2015, 07:03 PM

OS 10.11.1 supposedly fixes quite a few issues with Apple Mail (I don't use, preferring Outlook, so I cannot offer any experience with that update). This link describes what OS 10.11.1 entails:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205360

JohnK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2015, 02:05 AM

Several months ago I noticed that my stored emails from February, 2015 to about August had disappeared. I think it must have happened after one of those OSX updates in February. I have not found a way to recover them either,

badidea  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2015, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by honestone View Post
OS 10.11.1 supposedly fixes quite a few issues with Apple Mail (I don't use, preferring Outlook, so I cannot offer any experience with that update). This link describes what OS 10.11.1 entails:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205360
Thanks for the info...but I think (when I post here I am usually not at home at my Mac) that I already have 10.11.1 installed (I usually update very quickly) and it didn't solve my issue that prevented display of messages and mailboxes in Mail unfortunately!

honestone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2015, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Thanks for the info...but I think (when I post here I am usually not at home at my Mac) that I already have 10.11.1 installed (I usually update very quickly) and it didn't solve my issue that prevented display of messages and mailboxes in Mail unfortunately!
Sorry to hear that. There is a beta version of 10.11.2 that Apple released to developers the other day. Here is what it entails:

"The OS X 10.11.2 El Capitan beta is said to focus on testing graphics, Mail, Wi-Fi, Calendar, Spotlight, Notes, Photos, and USB connections, suggesting remaining issues in these areas."

Not sure if that will help you with your issues.

Forum Links
Forum Rules