Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Black or White?

Black or White?
jyen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2005, 10:24 AM

Ok, simple question... Black or white?
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 17"
1.5 gig RAM, 120gig HD
1 gig iPod Shuffle, 10 gig 1st gen iPod
G4 Cube 450 1.5 gig RAM, 20 gig HD, 15" LCD

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2005, 11:52 AM

I got black because I thought the color would be a better background for the display of photos and videos.

And it's gorgeous.

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2005, 12:05 PM

I prefer black too, so I took a black marker and made my 3G iPod black!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2005, 12:57 PM

go with white...black makes the ipod look like some sort of sony product. apple should rid the world of the grey click wheel and release an all white ipod again, least i think they should .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2005, 01:09 PM

Black, because my previous two iPods have been white. GO BLACK!

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2005, 01:19 PM

white.... it's a classic
Switched 7/7/05
12'' PowerBook G4 with AirPort Express, still goin' strong

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2005, 02:31 PM

white. two reasons.
1. tradition. when people see the white they know "iPod". i dont want any possibility of my sweet 5G iPod being confused at first glance with some piece of crap like a Zen.
2. white doesnt show fingerprints as easy. look at a psp some time.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 03:40 PM

Black.

I just picked up the last 30 GB Black in Manhattan Village mall, glad I made that choice. I would have gone for a black 60GB before the white myself.

I got it b/c, like others said, it makes it better for viewing videos, etc. The white body will show up in any amount of light, where the black will just disappear.

Each person will be different tho.

-J
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Filburt
Oct 27, 2005, 05:33 PM

Choosing color should be a matter of personal preference. Purely speaking from objective point of view, white is better because (1) far greater number of iPod accessories are available in white and not black (that may change in the future) and (2) scratches and finger prints are not as apparent on white finish. On the other hand, black iPods tend to disappear better when viewing photos or video, which is a good thing.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2005, 05:48 PM

I got black because I've had several white iPods and because it seemed like it wouldn't stand out as much while watching video. No scratches so far, but I am pretty careful with it.

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 27, 2005, 05:52 PM

Every other electronic device in the world has appeared in black. The iPod broke the mold by traditionally staying white. Whenever anybody sees a white electronic device, people automatically think iPod. Heck, someone mistakes my wife's iBook as an iPodBook.

White is the "classic" color for the iPod.

But in any case, it doesn't matter for me since I will be wrapping it up in a Speck case as soon as cases come out for my nano and future video iPod.

eerie eric
Oct 27, 2005, 11:20 PM

I got classic white, baby.

crooner
Senior User
Oct 28, 2005, 04:49 AM

I originally went to the local Apple store fully intent on getting a 60GB white model. It was only after comparing it side-by-side with a black model that I realized that black, for me, was the way to go.

It wasn't an easy choice... I *do* appreciate the classic coolness of a white 'Pod and do agree that finger prints and scratches are more prone to show up on a black one, but like others have stated above, I found that viewing photos and videos against the black surface made them seem to jump out at me a bit more. Purely a subjective POV, but an important one, nonetheless. That, and the simple fact that it just looks so sexy.

I just got my 60GB black iPod today and all I can say is... black is beautiful!

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2005, 05:16 AM

The extra space on the click wheel on a white model stands out more than other iPods. I went with a black since I'll probably get a black Radtech case for it once the 5G cases come out.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2005, 08:23 AM

I think it's interesting -- and slightly amusing -- that a lot of people would choose a white iPod based on the fact that iPods are "supposed" to be white. The iPod has only existed for four years, and for the last third of that time the best-selling Pods have been multicolored. So I'm not sure that leaves enough time to create a"classic" color.

But I guess everything moves faster in this 21st-century world, eh?

Geezus_Aach
Oct 28, 2005, 05:18 PM

black is way sexier....the black ipods are for sexy people
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

LeoBag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2005, 07:29 PM

I was wondering about this too...

There is all that complaining about the the new iPods scratching too much. I can see how the black iPods would "show" more scratches vs. white iPods.

Is it to the point where some of you wish that you had purchased the white iPod instead of the black iPod?

Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2005, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by LeoBag
Is it to the point where some of you wish that you had purchased the white iPod instead of the black iPod?
I've got this same question. Right now, I'll likely buy black for the great point that has been made that video is easier to watch on a black ipod.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2005, 01:13 AM

I've had my black 60GB for a week and no obvious scratches so far. I'm careful with it, but I do put it in the pocket of my shorts, etc.

LeoBag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 02:28 AM

I'll likely buy black for the great point that has been made that video is easier to watch on a black ipod.
I can see how this is true - but is it that much easier? I mean, it's not hard to view movies on the white one, right?

I just don't want to go around babying the iPod and put all sorts of protections, films, padding, etc making it look like grandma's plastic-covered couch - or making it look worse that if it did have a bunch of scratches on it. Whats the point of protecting it if gonna look horrible with plastic film all over it?
+

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 30, 2005, 02:36 AM

Colors won't matter if you buy one of the many iPod tattoo skins or a case.

I can't imagine the white color of the iPod hurting someone's eyes that much.... I can imagine that watching a video on the 2.5" screen will be the major cause of eye fatigue rather than the color of the iPod's case.

In any event, a black skin would work. That's what I'm thinking about.... One of those Speck rubber casings in black.....

LeoBag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
Colors won't matter if you buy one of the many iPod tattoo skins or a case.
In any event, a black skin would work. That's what I'm thinking about.... One of those Speck rubber casings in black.....
I totally see what you are saying - but then why not just buy a black one?

Trying to avoid the necessity of keeping it in a case or getting some type of skin/film/screen protection. Unless I am traveling, I'd like to simply keep it in a slip-type case (or "sock"), remove when in use, then slip back into protection until the next time it is used.
+

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2005, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
I can imagine that watching a video on the 2.5" screen will be the major cause of eye fatigue rather than the color of the iPod's case.
Which is why every bit helps.

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 30, 2005, 06:24 AM

Yeah, I love the beauty of a naked iPod but I can't bear to see my iPod scratched (particularly the screen).

I think the InvisibleShield is a nice alternative if you want to see the natural beauty of the iPod and protect it from scratches. Then it would be OK to choose between black and white.

If you don't like bulk, those silicon skins or iPod tattoos don't add to the size and allows you to customize your iPod. I was impressed to see an iPod tattoo with the Spider-Man web design on it. My sister prefers the Ghost in the Shell anime on her iPod.

Why stay with black or white when you can get a custom logo? ColorWare has options to customize your iPod so that you can put the logo and colors of your favorite sports team on it. Or just about any design...

Heck, I also have a leather case for my cellphone so I guess my habits carried over to the iPod.

I might be in the minority but I like to keep my full-sized iPod on a belt clip. Having the nano in my front pocket and having it drop when I lean forward is asking for trouble. Likewise, I like my pant pockets free of bulk and I'm not a fan of fishing my iPod out of my front pants pocket just to adjust the volume or skip to the next song. With the iPod on my belt clip, I can easily reach down to my hip and skip songs or change the volume.

But then again, my wife will ask me "Honey, is that an iPod in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

I totally see what you are saying - but then why not just buy a black one?

Trying to avoid the necessity of keeping it in a case or getting some type of skin/film/screen protection. Unless I am traveling, I'd like to simply keep it in a slip-type case (or "sock"), remove when in use, then slip back into protection until the next time it is used.
+

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 30, 2005, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jyen
Ok, simple question... Black or white?
White, like a new sheet of paper, or the gallery wall : a neutral backdrop for text photographs and album art.

Isn't it obvious?

Owning a black iPod is a mark of visual illiteracy.

However, I have the background colour on iPhoto set to black.

So I'm a hypocrite.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Oct 30, 2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Foxdog175
Right now, I'll likely buy black for the great point that has been made that video is easier to watch on a black ipod.
Must be why television casing is always black.

LeoBag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Must be why television casing is always black.
Yet the the standard has moved to enclosing most displays in a very light silver case, but that is beyond the scope of this thread
+

bilkay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2005, 10:56 PM

There is only ONE color for an iPod, and Apple should be ashamed for ever thinking otherwise.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2005, 11:05 PM

I agree with bilkay, all the Windows user apple buyers will get Black because they think it will look cool and representing windows and getting a iPod is gay, and not in the homosexual way.

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Nov 6, 2005, 11:21 PM

Yet the the standard has moved to enclosing most displays in a very light silver case, but that is beyond the scope of this thread
+
Who cares? Explain.

Is it owning to a new insight into the human understanding of colour perception? Or just an aesthetic whim?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2005, 11:36 PM

I bought a white 60GB 5G. Matches all the accessories for my older iPod (headphones, cables, etc), plus it matches the Universal Dock, my keyboard, mouse... basically everything. I prefer the white to the black anyway, but of course that's just my preference.

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2005, 12:42 PM

Wouldn't a white ipod make the contrast on the screen look better? I mean, if the screen doesn't have very good black levels (I haven't seen one), then having a black bezel would make that deficiency more obvious. Then again, if it has a good screen then I guess the black ipod might be better for video.

I'm getting a white Nano!

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 02:23 PM

Black. Like the interior of my car which is where I use my iPod 90% of the time.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 03:55 PM

Black. I got the black one. It's HOT!!! Getting a little tired of white.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules