Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook (Pros) are here!

New MacBook (Pros) are here! (Page 11)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2008, 09:54 PM

Anybody here have a top line MacBook yet?

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2008, 10:31 PM

So, when can we expect the next revision?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2008, 11:20 PM

I'd just to add that I have owned a snow iBook, and a black MacBook. I always hated the MBP/Powerbook because I thought parts of the design was ugly.

This is the first MBP I have bought because I absolutely love everything about it. It is also the best quality laptop I have ever had. The specs are perfect in my book.

I do have the occasional non-registering trackpad but I know that it will be solved with a software update in a couple weeks so it doesn't bother me.

I use this laptop for graphic and web design and it is a perfect machine for the job. I highly recommend it.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I'd just to add that I have owned a snow iBook, and a black MacBook. I always hated the MBP/Powerbook because I thought parts of the design was ugly.

This is the first MBP I have bought because I absolutely love everything about it. It is also the best quality laptop I have ever had. The specs are perfect in my book.

I do have the occasional non-registering trackpad but I know that it will be solved with a software update in a couple weeks so it doesn't bother me.

I use this laptop for graphic and web design and it is a perfect machine for the job. I highly recommend it.
the PRO is impressive; even my personal dislike of a glossy screen is offset by the excellent quality of this screen.
it's the macbook that disappoints. ah, well...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2008, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Anybody here have a top line MacBook yet?
If you mean the 2.8ghz, yeah, I got mine about 2 weeks ago. Works great so far - heard a 'clicking' noise coming from the left-hand side of the computer but I'm hoping that was just the chair or something because I'd hate to get another lemon!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2008, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
you're kidding right? or are you really that impressed with yourself?

"the morons"? because a lot of people see this issue differently?
I was referring to the "used car salesman" stuff, coming at me even though my posting history and every post I've made on the subject of Firewire in the MacBooks makes it absolutely clear that I myself am burned by this decision as well.

I'm in the same boat. But saying that I think I understand why this is done got me a predictable string of personal attacks.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2008, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by TribeLeader View Post
So, when can we expect the next revision?
Well Intel will launch Core i7 in 4Q09 (Clarksfield) and 1Q10 (Auburndale). So we should see an update roughly in a year from now.

Intel will also refresh the current 35mm socket B Penryns sometime in spring. The question is if Apple will update the MBP around that time or keep the current generation around for an entire year until they go i7. That sounds like a long wait, but OTOH an update every 6 months sounds a bit too high-paced if you look at the MBP's history (updates on average every 8 months).
( Last edited by Simon; Nov 6, 2008 at 04:29 AM. )

freudling
Banned
Nov 6, 2008, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Well, then we should all go buy one right now!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2008, 09:14 AM

BareFeats has some more benchmarks comparing the new MB(P)s to other Macs in games

The 2.8 GHz upgrade on the MBP costs $300. In 3D games on average this equates to 0-11% performance gains.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
If you mean the 2.8ghz, yeah, I got mine about 2 weeks ago. Works great so far - heard a 'clicking' noise coming from the left-hand side of the computer but I'm hoping that was just the chair or something because I'd hate to get another lemon!
Well I was wondering about just the MacBook, not MacBook Pro. I want to know how the $1599 MacBook does with HD in Final Cut Pro hooked up to another monitor.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2008, 03:42 AM

It should be ok. FCP does not rely very heavily on the GPU (today that is). So no 9600M should not be too much of an issue. The second monitor will profit from extra VRAM, but since you're not doing 3D accelerated stuff with lots of textures I'd say you'll be ok. I have a GMA950 on a 1st gen. MB driving a 23" ACD here and I'd say the monitor is not a problem at all. Of course I'd don't play Crysis with that setup either through. A 2.4 GHz Penryn should be ok for FCP too; it has only 3 MB L2 cache, but it's on a fast FSB. You can get 4 GB or even 6 GB of RAM. And you can put any big fast HDD (2.5", SATA, 9.5 mm height) in a MB.

Personally I find the MB plus monitor/KB/mouse a very nice solution (I use two such setups daily albeit with a MBP). You have portable on the road, but still retain the benefits of desktop computing when you're at the office or at home. The MB will work fine in such a setup even if you go for a 1920x1200 resolution on the external. And it is even more portable than the MBP when on the road (and $500 cheaper too).

OTOH if you're on a budget an you're worried about the 9400M, you should also check out Apple's refurb section. For $1499 (the same price as the high-end MB) you can get a 2.5 GHz 15" MBP (last generation mid-range model) with 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 8xSD, 8600M/512MB. There are some awesome deals on previous generation MBPs in the refurb section right now.
( Last edited by Simon; Nov 8, 2008 at 04:08 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2008, 03:17 PM

Awesome thanks. I like the new MacBook's size and weight especially cause I travel so much. I'm not a gamer or anything. I just wanted to know that it would be smooth in FCP. I figured it would be. I would have 4 GB of RAM too.

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2008, 07:19 PM

I finally saw the new models in person yesterday at a Best Buy. They both look good and the bodies feel higher quality than previous versions IMO.

My wife didn't like the black screen bezel though, but I'm fine with it. No feelings either way.

I loved that the hinge doesn't have any play now. The 15" MBP seems too wide for my tastes now, however. I own a late '06 15" MBP but this current revision is too wide for me.

Normally my notebook replacement cycle is every 3-4 years but performance is getting so good in the MacBooks and the body has finally caught up to my preferences that I may consider switching from my historical preference for the pro models and go with a MacBook but shorten the replacement cycle to every two years.

Just my thoughts on seeing these in person.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 01:12 AM

I wonder if there'll be a surprise in the 17" mbp. Like a numeric keypad, or multiple hard drives, or something else. It really needs something to draw attention.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 03:22 AM

num pad would be the straw for me. That'd be perfect. that and/or an option for MATTE

Forum Links
Forum Rules