Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Compatible graphics cards for 8-core?

Compatible graphics cards for 8-core?
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2009, 05:43 AM

Hi

I have an early 2008 8-core and the stock graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT) appears to have died. My monitor works with my laptop, so I assume it's the card in the MP.

I'm a little confused about my replacement options. I've been reading bad things about the 2600 and so will look elsewhere. Can anyone recommend a decent replacement which won't be too expensive?

Are there easily available PC-oriented cards which will be happy with OS X? I've seen the Radeon HD 4850 listed and can get one swiftly from PC World.

Anything reasonably powerful with dual DVI ports would suit me. Thanks

tothedoublec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2009, 12:15 PM

i am having the same problem - what did you settle on?
any help would be appreciated!

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2009, 12:36 PM

In the end, Apple just sent me a replacement for the original. I don't think they're still available, but the 'holding fee' in case I don't send back the faulty one was £135, so Apple have a stock and would still supply them?

There is a list of compatible cards for specific machines on the Apple site. I did try a stock PC one, but they don't work unless you hack into them, which isn't straight forward. Good luck.

shdwghst457
Oct 7, 2009, 03:06 AM

PC video cards use a different kind of firmware then Macs do, this is nothing new as video cards have been receiving this firmware treatment to work in G4 machines for a long time. this is probably fine (i personally have a geforce 6200 in my Cube and a flashed geforce 6800 GT OC in my AGP G5) but for best results I would seriously recommend using a Mac-native card. only go to the flashing method out of necessity (for instance, the stock card in the Cube is a 16mb Rage, and the card I flashed for it is a leopard-compatible 256mb model that was probably unheard of in 2000.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules