Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook vs PowerBook exchange

iBook vs PowerBook exchange
mi5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 06:10 AM

Hi all,

Since buying my iBook G4 800mhz 12 inch in Feb 2004, I have had 2 new hard drives and 1 going on 2 logicboards. However, much to my praise Apple decided to replace the whole iBook with a new 1.2ghz model (decision made when most recent problem was going to see a second new logicboard replaced). The only problem is they are waiting on stock and tell me it may be at least a month.

Let me state I extremely happy with this outcome and look forward to the replacement. My current iBook has been at the Repair centre for near on 2 weeks this time round, so I am currently without any notebook.

I wanted to canvass thoughts from everyone as to a potential alternative plan to put forward to Apple -

When comparing what I paid for my iBook G4 800 + +512mb RAM + Airport Extreme Card to the new iBook G4 1.2ghz + +512mb RAM + included Airport Extreme card, it is now considerably cheaper (around A$320-A$450 less, depending on the RAM configuration).

So I thought when comparing my IBook G4 800 cost A$2128.90 to the current model PowerBook 12 inch (standard 256mb + included Airport Extreme) of A$2286.90, I would only need to pay an extra A$158.

The question is however, do you think Apple may consider replacing my iBook with a PowerBook and me paying an extra A$158. (I can get additional RAM later on)!?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Cheers

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2004, 06:22 AM

Call Apple and find out.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Agazzie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 11:48 AM

That will probably cost them more work, so I don't think they will.
Do not do anything today, which
someone else can do tomorrow..

mi5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 03:45 AM

After many phone calls with the Reseller and Apple, I was told today that Apple is shipping my new iBook to the Reseller today and I should expect it tomorrow. I am hoping this is definite because I need to finish my Masters paper before Monday.

I originally made some calls today not to enquire about the alternative "Powerbook" option, but to find out why my Reseller couldn't simply replace my iBook with one they had in stock. Some story about it being policy to wait for a replacement direct from Apple, and that the Reseller in no way could use their own stock. I appreciate the administrative policies BUT, there was stock and I was waiting, it doesn't seem that difficult. Are Apple and the Reseller here to satisfy administrative policies or customers?

So as you might imagine, I didn't even bother exploring the "alternative" option.

Nonetheless, hopefully I will be using my new iBook this time tomorrow.

At the end of the day, I am extremely grateful to Apple and the effort the Reseller has put into my case...resulting in a brand new iBook to replace my old one!

Here's hoping the new iBook serves me well...at least until it's time to upgrade in about 2 years.

Thanks to all for your comments!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2004, 03:48 AM

A reseller isn't going to just give away an iBook and wait for a replacement from Apple.
Anyway, hopefully your iBook will be in and run just fine. Enjoy.

mi5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 03:56 AM

Thanks for your comments RANDMAN.

I know there are guidelines that the Reseller would need to work by, but it still doesn't provide me a physical replacement when one is available.

But fingers crossed the new iBook arrives tomorrow...and...it is reliable till my next upgrade.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts as it allows you to sound off ideas and check your sanity if you know what I mean.

What Mac do you use? iBook or PowerBook or other?

Cheers

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2004, 04:01 AM

I wasn't being sarcastic, just making a comment that no retailer is going to that, even though it seems perfectly logical.

mi5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 04:09 AM

No worries...I fully understand what you mean!

The most logical path isn't always the one that's travelled!

Cheers

mi5  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2004, 02:42 AM

Well after a few more phone calls, I have just picked up my replacement iBook. I turned it on for a quick look, but as you would imagine it is pretty much the same, cosmetically speaking, so right now I am calibrating the battery.

Apple has effectively replaced -

iBook G4 800mhz, 640mb, 30gb, Combo & APX

with a brand new -

iBook G4 1.2ghz, 768mb, 30gb, Combo & APX

Many thanks to Apple and the Reseller for their tireless efforts in resolving this problem!

Fingers crossed for a long and reliable life with my new iBook...well at least for another 2 years till my next upgrade!

Thanks to all those who took the time to comment.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules