Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > 10.3.2 and themeing?

10.3.2 and themeing?
Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 09:11 PM

Has anyone updated yet? If so, has your gui been effected? I heard that there was a possibility of it screwing things up.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 09:29 PM

no problems so far with shapeshifter (but i just updated to 10.3.2 5 minutes ago, so...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Has anyone updated yet? If so, has your gui been effected? I heard that there was a possibility of it screwing things up.
What kind of problem did your hear of?
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Stuphalina  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 10:02 PM

Oh, that updates to certain elements would make it incompatible. I guess it was just a rumor. I'm going to go and update now though.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Oh, that updates to certain elements would make it incompatible. I guess it was just a rumor. I'm going to go and update now though.
I just did it ans so far so good. No problem with SS.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2003, 10:12 PM

Only problem I've noticed is that my SS has just expired . Guess it's time to finally buy it...

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 10:25 PM

hows about candybar, is that working under 10.3.2 or does it need an update?

Stuphalina  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 10:27 PM

Okay, here is what happened to me when I updated. I turned off SS before I updated, updated, turned it back on, nothing. So I sadi to reappy the theme and i got a message saying that it had to contact Unsanity's server. It did and applied fine.

Just my feedback here.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 12:02 AM

i updated like a wildman! (either im ballsy or stupid, cant decide) kept my theme changer theme (titanium 7 btw) installed. nothing to report. even the hard drive icon is the same. same goes for the finder icon. looks like im good to go. no worries mates!

my candybar seems to work too, seems that it will only nag you.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 02:26 AM

Ya I was hesitating to make sure... Glad to hear it didn't break anything right off the bat. If you haven't had problems yet I don't think you will anytime soon.
click one

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 04:03 AM

Here's the deal: ShapeShifter is pretty damned future-proof. There are about five different layers of "if it ain't what we expect, don't try to theme anything". So you can generally just go ahead and update your operating system and expect that the very worst that will happen is that you'll lose the ability to use themes.

That's the worst-case scenario.

But here's the general scenario: Shapeshifter will present a message saying that it has temporarily disabled itself when you first log in to your updated OS. The ShapeShifter prefpane will open. When you reapply your theme, ShapeShifter will contact Unsanity's servers (only with your permission) and grab a file that lets it figure out whether anything needs updating. Usually, nothing does and you're up and running again.

So, don't worry about updating your OS while running ShapeShifter. We put quite a bit of thought into making sure that SS won't give you any downtime.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Stuphalina  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2003, 06:35 AM

Thanks Smeger, that's amazing to know.
GREAT Job!

Roderick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 08:07 AM

You can download any update (which is a package)
and then open it up with Pacifist. Then you'll see
exactly what is going to be updated and where.

You can even update just partially, selecting the
parts you want and/or don't want, if for some reason
you want to do such a thing. I've done this in the past
to get a particular item from an OS update without
needing to re-apply the whole update.

Regarding themes, this is very useful for people who
don't use any theme app and swap system files to
change the interface (as I do). We will know before
applying the update if one of our files will be
replaced or not.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 11:08 AM

Smeger: I have a problem with Shape Shifter and the themes. I updated to 10.3.2 and restarted, i tried then to reapply the GUiPod 1.0.1 them to my system, however i can not get "Apply Selected" to work [It's greyed out]. Shape Shifter did ask to be updated, which i did do. Any thoughts? All my other apps from Unsanity work fine, clear dock, mighty mouse, window shade X...

Thanks,
Dave

Dave-o�
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 11:15 AM

Sorry, my Boss walked in on me when i was posting.. I also repaired my permissions, clean my scripts, and deleted all the cache files, Restarted 3x's too.. Nothing seems to help this issue..

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 11:31 AM

Did you select the GUiPod radio button? If not then the apply will be grayed out...

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
Smeger: I have a problem with Shape Shifter and the themes. I updated to 10.3.2 and restarted, i tried then to reapply the GUiPod 1.0.1 them to my system, however i can not get "Apply Selected" to work [It's greyed out]. Shape Shifter did ask to be updated, which i did do. Any thoughts? All my other apps from Unsanity work fine, clear dock, mighty mouse, window shade X...

Thanks,
Dave

pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 11:39 AM

I'm having the exact problem that dave-o is having.

pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 12:00 PM

I beat it into submission. I had to select another theme first, and then move back to black milk.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 12:09 PM

Thanks Guys!! Silly me, i forgot about the Radio Button, i was just highlighting the text, thinking that it was selected.. like...

DUH!!

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Dave-o�:
Thanks Guys!! Silly me, i forgot about the Radio Button, i was just highlighting the text, thinking that it was selected.. like...

DUH!!
Yeah, I've got to make the interface more clear. Sorry about the confusion!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 06:21 PM

Smeger �

There is apparently one problem with themes in 10.3.2 though (not SS-related)... as posted by Izawa, replacement menubar extras that were fine for 10.3.0/1 can cause problems in .2 (I haven't actually downloaded the new set yet, so I'm not sure what had to be fixed about them).

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Sage:
Smeger �

There is apparently one problem with themes in 10.3.2 though (not SS-related)... as posted by Izawa, replacement menubar extras that were fine for 10.3.0/1 can cause problems in .2 (I haven't actually downloaded the new set yet, so I'm not sure what had to be fixed about them).
Wow, I have almost no clue at all what Izawa is saying!

I think he's talking about people who used his Installer Package to install his themes (instead of using ShapeShifter), and is warning those people to use the correct Aqua Restore Installer Package to keep from hosing their Menu Extras.

In other words, he's warning people about the dangers of the old methods of changing themes - stuff that ShapeShifter renders moot.

I think that's what he's saying.

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Wow, I have almost no clue at all what Izawa is saying!
Heh heh... I sure wish ButtO'Sigh, Izawa, and all of those Japanese themers would learn English, because they could provide us with some pretty invaluable information.

I think he's talking about people who used his Installer Package to install his themes (instead of using ShapeShifter), and is warning those people to use the correct Aqua Restore Installer Package to keep from hosing their Menu Extras. [...]
Hmmm... the impression that I got was that the Menu Extra installer in his 10.3 package could cause problems when upgrading to .2, so a new Menu Extras installer is available. I'm mostly thinking along those lines, because the rest of his theme is in guiKit format, with the only exception being the Menu Extras, which come as an installer package.

Just what I think too.

... you know, maybe it's time that everyone speak a universal language, use the same measurement units, etc. Sure, on the language front, culture would be lost to a certain extent, but I think the benefits would greatly outweigh what would be lost.

Just some rambling to myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules