Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > +Co-Pilot+

+Co-Pilot+
themarvelous3
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2003, 11:34 PM

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE make this old Kaleidascope theme into a shapeshifter theme??? It was always my fav and i still think it looks awesome the few times i have to load OS 9...sigh

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 11:49 PM

Some pics of it would be helpful

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

ender2002
Senior User
Dec 18, 2003, 12:29 AM

the best k-scheme ever:

Not sure if it would be possible to port the same way tho.

anyway, it would make a kick ass theme for os x.

RydDragyn
Dec 18, 2003, 01:17 AM

that looks awesome. i wouldn't mind seeing it ported.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 02:02 AM

Not posable to that extent, due to the lack of borders in OS X and the widgets need to be at the top right of the window... but the color scheme and "materials" it's made of could be emulated. I think the icons may have been ported already...
click one

benign
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 07:40 AM

Duncan Cowan - the Auto-Pilot dude!

He had theming running in his blood
and in the Palm of his hand...

Simple Empire...

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 09:38 AM

i'm glad some of you agree with me. that was def. the BEST K scheme ever. i loved how the buttons were moved to the bottom and the borders were sweet. maybe someday...

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 01:20 PM

ya. definitely a nice scheme, but the borders took up way too much screen real estate to make it usable. especially back when i was on a blueberry ibook with 800x600 screen resolution. GAH!

n8x
Dec 18, 2003, 01:59 PM

I used that scheme for a while, it never got old watching other people who happened to sit down at my computer try to figure out how to close windows.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by n8x:
I used that scheme for a while, it never got old watching other people who happened to sit down at my computer try to figure out how to close windows.
Some people aren't very smart... It sure was a great theme. I'd be all for a port/OS X theme based on it with the guy's permission.
click one

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 04:40 PM

junior member, huh...

anyway, post any mac forums you know of so that i can start circulating this idea. someone out there's gotta be able to do SOMETHING with it...

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 07:40 PM

Well here's my take on it. As you can see I'm still using OS 10.2.8...but I plan on upgrading to Panther real soon. Haven't made a theme in a long time. I think I'll submit this theme to the Unsanity contest if I ever get it started and finished. Don't really need a HD, a free copy of Shapeshifter would be a nice prize though.

CoPilot X:

What do you think?

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 08:01 PM

looks sweet. i think you need a little more green in the window background though.

ALSO...and this is just personal. the main menu bar at the top of the screen...you know, where the apple menu is...to ME thats the most important part of this theme. i will take a screen snapshot of my OS 9 screen with that scheme and one of the menus dropped down so you can see why (unless you know of course)...it's awesome.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2003, 08:15 PM

Very nice. I don't like the scroll bar though. Is that a working demo or a just a mockup?

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
Very nice. I don't like the scroll bar though. Is that a working demo or a just a mockup?
Mock up, what would you suggest for the scrollbars?

swiz
GUI Punk
Dec 18, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
Well here's my take on it. As you can see I'm still using OS 10.2.8...but I plan on upgrading to Panther real soon. Haven't made a theme in a long time. I think I'll submit this theme to the Unsanity contest if I ever get it started and finished. Don't really need a HD, a free copy of Shapeshifter would be a nice prize though.

CoPilot X:

What do you think?
Until future updates of SS you wont be able to have the close widget placement as unique from the others as it is in the mockup.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Until future updates of SS you wont be able to have the close widget placement as unique from the others as it is in the mockup.
I think this works now. If it doesn't, it's a bug because it's supposed to.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 09:27 PM

I like the mockup.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 09:31 PM

Personally, I think those scrollbars without boarders are some of the most interesting and different scrollbars I've seen in ages on any theme. Keep 'em!!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 09:32 PM

I must say that this theme is the first one in a while to really grab my attention and make me want to use it. It's very slick. That mockup is perfect.

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2003, 11:18 PM

i love the scroll bars. it really does look good.

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 01:45 AM

Glad everyone likes it. Guess I should get to work and start theming...as soon as I get Panther. Maybe I should make a mock up of the menubar...whar does it look like in OS 9? I have my own idea for it though..

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2003, 03:03 AM

you should call it drop shadow!
the title bar doesnt match any of the rest of it. take the gradient out of the title bar and maybe it will look better..

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 03:24 AM

Why doesn't the titlebar belong to the rest of the theme? I like the gradient. Anyways, here's the menubar and menus mockup:

Not sure about the menu dividers...they might stay or not.

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 08:02 AM

AH! the menu bar was the BEST PART of that theme...the depth, the darkness, the thick edge to the drop down menus...

(please dont take away my menu bar....)

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 08:04 AM

oooohhh...thats so pretty! i want it back!!!! look at those menu options...the slight glare reflecting off the top left corner of each...the way they're set deep into the bar itself.... pure art that was

x user
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 10:12 AM

Wow, that is pretty...

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2003, 11:18 AM

Something more like an elongated capsule shape version of the "back" button. The black square doesn't match the flow of the rest of the theme. The arrows are okay though.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Dec 19, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by themarvelous3:
AH! the menu bar was the BEST PART of that theme...the depth, the darkness, the thick edge to the drop down menus...

(please dont take away my menu bar....)
That menubar would be possible in OS X too. The menu top and bottom border can't be done (yet) though.

Dace- your mockups doesn't seem very true to the original from what I can tell. The bg color is the same as WICKEDfour's iTunes theme - it should be green. And the silver looks a bit off too.
Also, the drop shadow on button etc seem a little dark.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2003, 01:49 PM

ya. its supposed to be a bizzare emulation of the palm OS. there should be some kind of light green in there. other than that, it looks good.

even though palm pilot screens now arent green like they used to be. now theyre all fancy and in color!

back then we had 4 shades of grey with a green background and WE LIKED IT!

/waves cane at whipper snappers

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 02:04 PM

KEEP those dividers in the menus. Now *that's* elegant.

*edit*
I can't emphasize enough how much I think that this is the best theme I've seen in ages, and quite possibly my favourite theme (from what I've seen).

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Dace- your mockups don't seem very true to the original from what I can tell. The bg color is the same as WICKEDfour's iTunes theme - it should be green. And the silver looks a bit off too.
Also, the drop shadow on button etc seem a little dark.
I agree with the green being wrong, although I've never seen WICKEDfour's theme. I don't want this to be a direct copy or port of Co-Pilot...I'd like to input my ideas and imagination. I'd prefer to think of it as being inspired by Co-Pilot.

Here's the latest mockup with a more accurate green:

Alternate Menubar:
( Last edited by Dace; Dec 19, 2003 at 03:36 PM. )

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 04:08 PM

damn.... now THATS a menu bar : )

inspired is quite alright if i get to use that menu bar. thank you.... i could cry. it's not the same, but it's perfect for this theme you're making, and this theme you are making is seriously the sweetest thing i've seen. that BG color is also much better.

GREAT JOB!!!

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 04:09 PM

WHEN DO I GET TO USE IT?????!?!?!?! now i'm impatient : )
( Last edited by themarvelous3; Dec 19, 2003 at 04:16 PM. )

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
I think the icons may have been ported already...
any idea WHERE those icons would be?

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 04:22 PM

P.S. - any way to get the checkboxes to look like the below in this theme? i liked em...

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2003, 04:51 PM

I agree with the green being wrong, although I've never seen WICKEDfour's theme. I don't want this to be a direct copy or port of Co-Pilot...I'd like to input my ideas and imagination. I'd prefer to think of it as being inspired by Co-Pilot.

Looking like a great theme! I really like what I'm seing. Can't say I'm a big fan of the original K-scheme ... but this Co-pilot inspired variation has a Lot of potential. One thing though - I really like the first screenshot more (except for the new menubar, which is awesome). The original green made the finder buttons stand out much more - it's a nice effect. The new mockup looks more flat and plain ... just my $.02 The menus look amazing - best I've seen so far - can't wait to see this released!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 04:57 PM

[B]I agree with the green being wrong, although I've never seen WICKEDfour's theme. I don't want this to be a direct copy or port of Co-Pilot...I'd like to input my ideas and imagination. I'd prefer to think of it as being inspired by Co-Pilot.

Here's the latest mockup with a more accurate green:
This is looking quite good, but personally I'd prefer having the toolbar area black, instead of old lcd color... the lcd part should really be a nice, neat partition, and not marred by the irregularities of the toolbar. What about trying the toolbar silver, with black rubber/plastic buttons?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
This is looking quite good, but personally I'd prefer having the toolbar area black, instead of old lcd color... the lcd part should really be a nice, neat partition, and not marred by the irregularities of the toolbar. What about trying the toolbar silver, with black rubber/plastic buttons?
What would be great is if I could make everything that is green...transparent, like the menus. But I have to work with the limitations of OS X. So I think I'll leave the toolbar green.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 03:36 PM

Your title bar needs to be darker. I don't know... but since OS X doesn't do window borders I would say lose the LCD look for everything but maybe the menus (like GUIpod). You should really capitalize on the plastic casing look. The LCD look is already being done in full scale in that one based on iTunes.
click one

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Your title bar needs to be darker. I don't know... but since OS X doesn't do window borders I would say lose the LCD look for everything but maybe the menus (like GUIpod). You should really capitalize on the plastic casing look. The LCD look is already being done in full scale in that one based on iTunes.
Yeah, after Max's mention of Wickedfour's theme I took a look at the theme and realised it was similar. So here's another rough mockup (did it at a friends house, didn't have the original), what do u think of this idea?

Hosted on geocities, so not a lot of bandwith...sorry

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 10:16 PM

Oh hell yes! That is slick! The scollbar isn't flying with me, and the bottom gradient doesn't match the rest of the plastic stuff, but otherwise it's vedy, vedy nice.

decursive
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2003, 10:57 PM

Yeah, after Max's mention of Wickedfour's theme I took a look at the theme and realised it was similar. So here's another rough mockup (did it at a friends house, didn't have the original), what do u think of this idea?
very nice work, but here's some things i feel would make the theme nicer:

the black needs to be black.
the blue needs to be blue.
the toolbar area should be a white/very light blue color that is faded into from the title bar.
the title bar needs to lose the sharp line.
(don't know if this is possible) the status bar at the bottom could use a strip of black at the top or bottom and then match the blue/white of the title bar.
= decursive =

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 11:24 PM

The non-LCD elements need to be brighter in color. As it is it just blends together. But much better.
click one

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2003, 11:32 PM

Noooooo!!!

I liked the original mockup so much ...
This on the other hand I would never use
Can you maybe make both variations?

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2003, 11:49 PM

A couple of yes and one no.

I'll make a better, sharper mockup when I get home. Glad you liked it.

As for two variations...I don't know yet, for now Wickedfour's theme looks like its headed in the same direction I was. All it needs is my titlebar and my menubar...so this is why I chose a different direction.

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 12:15 AM

Dave, I like your most recent mockup very much. Those finder toolbar buttons are spiffalicous!

The spacing between the titlebar widgets needs to be equidistant, though. The widgets can be different sizes and masks, but the spacing must remain constant.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by olorin15:
Noooooo!!!

I liked the original mockup so much ...
This on the other hand I would never use
Can you maybe make both variations?
Dude there's an all LCD theme in the works already... http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=191509 This would be almost the same if he didn't update it, that's part of why he needs to brighten it too.
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2003, 02:45 AM

Hosted on geocities, so not a lot of bandwith...sorry

However, I only ask to make the silver a bit brighter, to contrast more with the dull green. Please?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

themarvelous3  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2003, 03:34 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:

However, I only ask to make the silver a bit brighter, to contrast more with the dull green. Please?
i too REALLY like the above. maybe make the scroll bars a little wider?

you rock

Forum Links
Forum Rules