Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Lombard upgrade

Lombard upgrade
henrytaylor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2005, 12:52 PM

Forgive me if this has already been covered. Can anyone give details on how to upgrade, or provide a link on how to upgrade an old Lombard 333 PB. I recently acquired one, no HDD, and would boot to start up chimes. I installed OS X via FW External drive on my iBook,and installed this HDD into the Lombard. Still boots to start up chimes and no further. Thought that since I want to get this going, might as well upgraed as well. Any and all help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Henry

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 10:39 PM

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2005, 12:24 PM

I have the same Lombard and had no problem installing OSX from the CD. Try booting an OS9 CD to see if the problem really is with OSX.

I've also done something similar to what you did with no problem. I bought a new Aluminum Powerbook, then used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the system to an external drive, then used CCC again to copy from the external drive to the Lombard. (I had an older version of OSX on a 2nd partition on the Lombard to boot from, then used CCC to copy the new version of OSX to the 1st partition.)

Which version of OSX are you trying to install?
How much RAM do you have?
And how large is the hard drive?

henrytaylor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by gbhgbh
I have the same Lombard and had no problem installing OSX from the CD. Try booting an OS9 CD to see if the problem really is with OSX.

I've also done something similar to what you did with no problem. I bought a new Aluminum Powerbook, then used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the system to an external drive, then used CCC again to copy from the external drive to the Lombard. (I had an older version of OSX on a 2nd partition on the Lombard to boot from, then used CCC to copy the new version of OSX to the 1st partition.)

Which version of OSX are you trying to install?
How much RAM do you have?
And how large is the hard drive?
I installed OS X (10.3.8) and updated to 10.3.9 via external HDD on my iBook. This Bronze machine does not have a CD drive, just the V?? super zip drive, and I have 3 of them (no help). I can't do 9.x. I want to put in a 400 logic board and then the 433 MAChspeed G4 upgrade card, if I can find one reasonably priced. Ram is only 64 but I am going to put in 2 256 ram cards. The hard drive is 30 gig. I do have OS X Jaguar, maybe I can install it via the external drive and try that route.

Any ideas?

Henry

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2005, 01:04 PM

It's hard to tell what's wrong. I suppose you can't boot any of the older OS's from the zip drive just to see if the Lombard is working. What happens after the chime? Is it a blank grey screen, a blinking ? mark, or the happy Mac face? Does the hard drive spin up?

Hold down the v key (or maybe its command-v) immediately after the chime so it boots in verbose mode. Maybe it will tell you where it's hanging.

There's a small chance that the issue is that you don't have enough RAM. BTW, my Lombard would not accept two 256MB chips, only one 256MB and one 128MB. When I installed two 256MB chips, it read one of them as a 128MB chip. Others have reported the same problem, I think 384MB is the maximum.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2005, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by gbhgbh
When I installed two 256MB chips, it read one of them as a 128MB chip. Others have reported the same problem, I think 384MB is the maximum.
512MB can be done, but you need the right kind of RAM for the low-profile slot. You can get it from transintl.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules