Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Chinese Coup?

Chinese Coup?
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2022, 09:33 PM

Twitter was briefly aflutter with rumours theres been a military coup in China. Some general has supposedly placed President Xi under house arrest and taken his place.
There may be something to it. While there was some misinformation that appeared rapidly (some wag trying to pass off the 2015 Tianjin explosion as happening yesterday in Beijing), there is some convincing evidence of a large convoy of military vehicles allegedly headed to Beijing and a number of people reported there were no flights over or around the capital. Along with reports of cancelled flights and trains.

The coup reports seem to be coming out of India and Pakistan.

If it is true, I'm not entirely sure what it means. Some seem to be implying its a good thing though. Particularly for Taiwan and the west.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Sep 25, 2022, 09:42 AM

I can’t imagine something that huge even being attempted and going unreported by western media. I’ve only seen minor mentions of the rumor on a couple of sites, but all of the “this is happening” stories I see are all from India. <insert opinion of Indian media here>

Military coups are rarely good things for anyone, no matter how despotic the regime being overthrown is. The results are usually more despotic and nationalistic, which would not be a good thing for Taiwan.

It’s hard to see what the motivation would be in this case. Military not wanting China to support Putin? Military wanting China to support Putin directly?

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2022, 12:04 PM

My sources say “Falun Gong masturbatory fantasy”.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 25, 2022, 01:55 PM

I couldn't find a mention on any regular news service last night. It's a day later, and that's still the case.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2022, 05:46 PM

Yeah the rumours died fast. Still, it was a more elaborate attempt at fake news than I've seen in a while, I'm surprised it wasn't reported as being fake.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2022, 08:12 AM

China is in fact an elaborate hoax, filmed on a soundstage in Nashville.

Thorzdad
Sep 27, 2022, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Yeah the rumours died fast. Still, it was a more elaborate attempt at fake news than I've seen in a while, I'm surprised it wasn't reported as being fake.
That’s the weirdest part. It wasn’t picked-up widely anywhere. Conversely, it wasn’t denied/poo-pooed by China at all, either, which is really odd. China doesn’t normally adopt the “ignore it and it’ll go away” response. Has Xi been seen at all during/after this, though.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 27, 2022, 09:40 AM

I haven't seen any substantive news out of China since the coup rumor hit. But I've also mostly been following the Ukraine news, so my sample is biased.

OreoCookie
Sep 28, 2022, 12:50 AM

Same here, I have not seen any news from a reputable source. China isn’t North Korea, I don’t think they could keep a coup secret for long.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules